Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2016, 05:01 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I think it was InformedConsent who sarcastically suggests liberals should fund housing for the displaced. Funding it merely raises prices, attracts outsiders who seek to cash in, and creates a cost spiral which cannot be resolved by government. Better for government to acknowledge defeat and let the private sector handle it with more construction and more homelessness.
For the most part you are right, it was Informed Consent, but you got a few digs in too.

Quote:
As I said, when liberals offer a giveaway, free riders jump on the wagon and ruin it for all. San Francisco has a porous border. Also, liberals are notoriously poor at connecting the dots between their policies (high taxes, high regulation) and increased need or else disingenuous or perhaps in denial.
Quote:
Again, they are willing to tax you in order to house the displaced Somewhere Else. Conservatives accept displacement without taxing anyone and without supporting any assistance to those displaced.
But what strikes me as ironic, after reading post after post about liberals causing the problem and exacerbating it by raising taxes (which is news to me) is that Salt Lake City, a city about as red as they come found a solution to homelessness, in fact it was largely a government solution.
Utah Reduced Chronic Homelessness By 91 Percent; Here's How : NPR

Old 03-12-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why not? Is San Francisco not heavily Dem/liberal? If the Dems/liberals in San Francisco aren't displacing the poor, causing their homelessness, who is? The Easter Bunny?
The displacement of the poor and middle class in San Francisco is caused by gentrification, I could swear I said that already... There are people moving to San Francisco who are willing and able to pay whatever the asking price is for housing. And I would guess that most of those people are not liberal at all but probably apolitical or moderate. But if it makes you feel better to say 'liberal' 50 times a day in a public forum then go for it, after the first few times people usually just skip past those kinds of posts and go on to read something with more substance.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:10 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
For the most part you are right, it was Informed Consent, but you got a few digs in too.

But what strikes me as ironic, after reading post after post about liberals causing the problem and exacerbating it by raising taxes (which is news to me) is that Salt Lake City, a city about as red as they come found a solution to homelessness, in fact it was largely a government solution.
Utah Reduced Chronic Homelessness By 91 Percent; Here's How : NPR

I bet there's still a lot of suboptimal living there, in the form of group living in (over)crowded homes - heck, the article suggests a lot of the homeless end up in group housing.

I want to work from home and my plan requires about 400 square feet of space - not gonna find that in group living which is where I'm stuck.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Um... that's happening on a grand scale with illegal immigration. That isn't stopping the federal government from giving them freebies. So why don't the liberals in San Francisco just tax themselves to pay for the poor and homeless they've displaced? Hypocrites? Why do illegals get more freebies than homeless US citizens in San Francisco? I'd like a liberal to explain that.
So "illegals" move to San Francisco for 'freebies'? Then why do they move to Nevada which now has the highest proportion of illegals in the US? Not too many freebies in Nevada my friend.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:15 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
The displacement of the poor and middle class in San Francisco is caused by gentrification, I could swear I said that already...
Yes. Liberals are gentrifying San Francisco, creating a HUGE homeless problem which they refuse to resolve. How do you not see that?

Old 03-12-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
So "illegals" move to San Francisco for 'freebies'?
I said "grand scale." Illegals are infiltrating the US for freebies.

And why the quotation marks around illegal? If they're not going through the legal immigration process, they're illegal. Just like robbing a bank is illegal. And kidnapping is illegal.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:24 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Yes. Liberals are gentrifying San Francisco, creating a HUGE homeless problem which they refuse to resolve. How do you not see that?

Isn't expecting gentrifiers to pay for resolving issues of displacement and homelessness a liberal position?

Aren't conservatives who support gentrification generally opposed to such taxpayer funding?

Old 03-13-2016, 09:56 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times
Quote:
In a heavily liberal city like San Francisco, how can you say it's not caused by liberals?

So the question stands... why won't the wealthy liberal gentrifying San Franciscans fund the poor and the homeless they displaced? Hypocrites?
The other poster is right. You are a broken record that simply repeats the same thing over and over. I think everyone gets it - you believe that liberals cause homelessness. Great. What's you solution?

Besides, you don't have any idea what you are talking about. This is just a bash all these so called liberals. BTW, millions of dollars are spent on the homeless in SF annually. Look up the budget if you truly care.

Quote:
I meant white flight in the sense of trying to self-segregate. When gentrifiers return to the central city, it's not to integrate but to reclaim once-again desirable territory from which their parents fled decades earlier - and to displace the poor and non-white in the process. If they wanted to integrate they'd be moving to non-gentrifying parts of the 'hood.
I don't think you understand what gentrification is exactly. You contradict yourself in the above paragraph. I'll let you figure it out. There are plenty of articles on it if you Google it. Good luck.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Isn't expecting gentrifiers to pay for resolving issues of displacement and homelessness a liberal position?
Yes, but they're NOT doing that in very liberal San Francisco. I would like a liberal to explain why they won't put their money where their mouths are.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
The other poster is right. You are a broken record that simply repeats the same thing over and over.
Can you answer the question?

Liberals expect gentrifiers to pay for resolving issues of displacement and homelessness, but they're NOT doing that in very liberal San Francisco. I would like a liberal to explain why they won't put their money where their mouths are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies