Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2016, 08:12 PM

88,729 posts, read 44,496,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Also, SF is so expensive because so many people want to live there and there's not enough supply in housing. I thought republicans believed in capitalism and free market?
I thought liberals believed in social justice and less inequality. Apparently not. Just look at liberal San Francisco and their homeless crisis.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:38 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,866,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I thought liberals believed in social justice and less inequality. Apparently not. Just look at liberal San Francisco and their homeless crisis.
I noticed you posted A LOT on this particular post, 52 times to be exact. Out of 200 posts. Does that not seem a bit excessive to you? Just wondering?

Old 03-14-2016, 09:59 PM

6,389 posts, read 4,092,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I noticed you posted A LOT on this particular post, 52 times to be exact. Out of 200 posts. Does that not seem a bit excessive to you? Just wondering?
I've always wondered if he actually has a job? He is one of the most prolific posters on here. And he seems to post at all hours of the day, including the middle of the night.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:16 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,131,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Hey liberals. If I start a go-fund-me page to help the san fran homeless, how much money can I count on you to contribute to it? Go ahead and make your pledges now so I'll know if it's worth it.
What's the deal, liberals? I haven't received a single pledge from any of you yet. I'll ask again. How much of your own money are you going to commit to helping the poor San Fran homeless? $1,000 would help. But $10,000 would help more.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
What's the deal, liberals? I haven't received a single pledge from any of you yet. I'll ask again. How much of your own money are you going to commit to helping the poor San Fran homeless? $1,000 would help. But $10,000 would help more.
Um... not all us liberals believe that throwing money at homeless people will solve anything.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
That depends. How many posts does it take for liberals to recognize their hypocrisy?

Old 03-15-2016, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I've always wondered if he actually has a job? He is one of the most prolific posters on here. And he seems to post at all hours of the day, including the middle of the night.
I'm a she. Shut down my business and retired early; comfortable enough to not really need any more earned income. Never slept much, only need about 4 hours per night.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Um... not all us liberals believe that throwing money at homeless people will solve anything.
Then what's with the 'rich don't pay their fair share' BS? Published IRS data directly contradicts that bogus assertion, but liberals continue to spew it anyway.

What about all the social justice and less inequality platitudes liberals throw around? How do liberals plan on achieving any of that if it doesn't involve taking money from one group and "throwing" it at another?

Old 03-15-2016, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Then what's with the 'rich don't pay their fair share' BS? Published IRS data directly contradicts that bogus assertion, but liberals continue to spew it anyway.

What about all the social justice and less inequality platitudes liberals throw around? How do liberals plan on achieving any of that if it doesn't involve taking money from one group and "throwing" it at another?
OK, so let me get this right. You closed down your business and retired early, right? So, you are retired now?

Just letting you know what you look like by posting prolifically the way you do. Ever heard of the crazy cat lady from the Simpsons? The way you post kinda makes you look like the virtual version of her.

Anyway, back to topic. This taking-money-from-one-group-to-distribute-to-another thing is very simple thinking. I'm about to head to my office so I'm not going to waste my time trying to correct a preconceived misconception. All I gotta say is I make about 100k/year and I certainly don't want to give up what I have to redistribute to the poor. At least not the way you're thinking.

My company makes enough money to have given me a brand new AWD SUV for unlimited use, a gas card to pay for the gas guzzler they gave me, an iphone with unlimited data, and several other gigs that most people never heard of. You think we as a company want to give up what we have to redistribute to the poor?

I'm just puzzled how people like you can continue to believe in such nonsense.

Added by edit.

Or how about this. There is a guy in my office that owns a $1.8 mil house. He also owns a couple businesses on the side aside from working in our company. He's almost 70 and previously retired. I asked him once why not retire to Florida or something? He answered he did for a couple years and got bored out of his mind so he moved back up here and took control of his businesses again. He's a Hillary supporter and he's scared to death of Trump.

You think someone like him wants the government to take what he has to redistribute to the poor?

Not all liberals sound like that obamaphone lady, you know. Some of us can actually formulate proper sentences.

Last edited by MetroWord; 03-15-2016 at 06:25 AM..

Old 03-15-2016, 06:26 AM

45,350 posts, read 26,931,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Now, you're talking. Yes, that is the question - why does San Francisco have a homeless problem despite being wildly prosperous?

This is not an easy question to answer; and I doubt anyone has a solution. First of all, there is no one type of homeless - some have jobs, some are runaways, some are junkies, some have metal illness, some just fell on hard times and can get themselves out. A few years ago, a study found that about 30% of the homeless are chronic homeless, meaning the vast majority (70%) are only temporary homeless. So let's think it through, 70% temporary homeless but the total number always stay constant at around 6,500. That tells us that being homeless is a revolving door - as most eventually get away from that life, a similar number of people dropped in to fill the void.

So what does that take us? I am not sure, I don't think there is a solution, period. To me, fixing homelessness is like trying to end poverty or end all wars - it's an impossible task. No matter how many people you help off the streets, there is always an equal number of people ready to take their place. It's an endless cycle, just like no matter how many wars you stop, there is always another one on the horizon.

Also, we need to consider the overall picture, there around 6,800 homeless now in a city with 840,000 people - the homeless is about 0.8% of the population. It's a problem, but it only afflicts a very minor population.

At the same time, SF has spend a lot of money on homeless programs. Many locals think there are more pressing problems to address. So that does that leave us? Same as before - homeless is an unsolvable problem but SF has programs to help those who want to be help. To me, that is good enough for a problem that only affects 0.8% of the population. This is not a problem that needs fixing nor is it possible to be fixed. In fact, I don't see homeless as a problem at all; don't get me wrong, homeless is an unfortunately predicament for those in it, but it is a fact of life.

You can say it's a minor problem - but obviously for some it's a major problem in that people's businesses are affected, and passers by don't want to be hassled by the street people.

So now it's no longer a economic problem (removing your whole trickle down argument), it's a behavioral problem. There would be no problem if they kept to themselves and didn't block the sidewalks. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies