Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2016, 07:05 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
OK, so let me get this right. You closed down your business and retired early, right? So, you are retired now?

Just letting you know what you look like by posting prolifically the way you do.
I'm not all that prolific. I've been a city-data member for 8.5 years, and have a lower posts per day stat than many others.

Quote:
Anyway, back to topic. This taking-money-from-one-group-to-distribute-to-another thing is very simple thinking.
Because that's EXACTLY what it is.

Quote:
My company makes enough money to have given me a brand new AWD SUV for unlimited use, a gas card to pay for the gas guzzler they gave me, an iphone with unlimited data, and several other gigs that most people never heard of.
Do you realize those are all write offs for your company? What that means is that they give you the tools you need to be more productive for them and earn more money for them while then also being able to write off the costs of providing those tools to you against the extra profits your increased productivity is yielding. I assure you, they've run the numbers. If they weren't coming out ahead, you wouldn't be getting those perks.

Quote:
You think we as a company want to give up what we have to redistribute to the poor?
Is that not exactly what Dems/liberals want when they insist on wanting to raise taxes on the rich (who already pay WAY more than their fair share)? Why, YES IT IS.

Quote:
Or how about this. There is a guy in my office that owns a $1.8 mil house. He also owns a couple businesses on the side aside from working in our company. He's almost 70 and previously retired. I asked him once why not retire to Florida or something? He answered he did for a couple years and got bored out of his mind so he moved back up here and took control of his businesses again. He's a Hillary supporter and he's scared to death of Trump.

You think someone like him wants the government to take what he has to redistribute to the poor?
Then why do the Dems run on the platform of taxing the rich even more and giving more to the poor?

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/12/pf/taxes/hillary-clinton-taxes-rich/

That's what Hillary SAYS, but let's look at the truth of exactly which income group is paying the highest average effective federal income tax rate...

Top 0.1%: 27.91%
Top 1%: 27.08%
Middle class (if defined by a mean household income of ~$52,000): Somewhere less than 10%

Tables 1 and 8, here:
Summary of the Latest Federal Income Tax Data, 2015 Update | Tax Foundation

How can you be so ignorant of what Dem candidates and politicians are constantly spewing about taxing those who already pay the most in taxes even more, and promising to redistribute that tax revenue to the poor? I'm truly baffled as to how you are totally removed from reality.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:52 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How can you be so ignorant of what Dem candidates and politicians are constantly spewing about taxing those who already pay the most in taxes even more, and promising to redistribute that tax revenue to the poor? I'm truly baffled as to how you are totally removed from reality.
I'm baffled at how you ever bought into the fantasy that redistribution of wealth only benefits the poor. For example, there are a number of tax-subsidized retirement accounts of which 401(k)s and IRAs are the most famous and important. These programs cost the federal government more than $150 billion annually, and 68 percent of the total benefits accrue to the wealthiest households that on average earn over $200,000 a year. But because many middle-class families also take advantage of these programs, they are much easier to market politically than straightforward cuts in the top income tax rate.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:19 AM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
San Francisco weather isn't all that great. Foggy and chilly a lot. Even in the summer.
A typical comment that someone from Southern Califonia would make. A bad day in San Fransico is a good day in most other parts of the world, the best reference where people empty their toilets on the RV during cross country trips.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm baffled at how you ever bought into the fantasy that redistribution of wealth only benefits the poor. For example, there are a number of tax-subsidized retirement accounts of which 401(k)s and IRAs are the most famous and important. These programs cost the federal government more than $150 billion annually, and 68 percent of the total benefits accrue to the wealthiest households that on average earn over $200,000 a year. But because many middle-class families also take advantage of these programs, they are much easier to market politically than straightforward cuts in the top income tax rate.

Don't blame the "rich" because they max out their 401K accounts and are better informed investors.
The 401K is available to all levels of income.

But the majority of the peons aren't educated in investments and can't be bothered to learn.
Instead they put in the min amount and willy nilly pick a target date fund.
They don't rebalance, they don't seek any investment advice and they are the first group to take out a "loan" agains their 401K which takes that money out of play.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Look at the graph you posted and note that the top 1% isn't getting the greatest benefit. Those receiving the greatest benefit from tax-subsidized retirement accounts are those with household incomes between $104,087 and $428,713 (the top 20% minus the top 1%).
Quote:
Furthermore, what about keeping what one has earned is "redistribution?"

Old 03-15-2016, 09:23 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
San Francisco is such a liberal city. Why are they having a huge problem with homelessness? Being so liberal, and all, shouldn't it be a model of what liberals/Dems want for the rest of the country?

So... the liberal dream for us all is massive homelessness and poverty?
All those states are a liberal Utopia. When you subsidize anything, you encourage more of it.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:33 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Look at the graph you posted and note that the top 1% isn't getting the greatest benefit. Those receiving the greatest benefit from tax-subsidized retirement accounts are those with household incomes between $104,087 and $428,713 (the top 20% minus the top 1%).
Furthermore, what about keeping what one has earned is "redistribution?"
It's not about keeping what you earn, it's about reverse redistribution. There are other examples, read the article. Calling social program spending to the poor 'redistribution' and then claiming that tax breaks to the wealthy are 'incentives' is just plain BS.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
It's not about keeping what you earn, it's about reverse redistribution.
Keeping what one has/earns isn't redistribution at all.

Taking what one has/earned and giving it to another IS redistribution.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:40 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
...Is that not exactly what Dems/liberals want when they insist on wanting to raise taxes on the rich (who already pay WAY more than their fair share)? Why, YES IT IS.

Then why do the Dems run on the platform of taxing the rich even more and giving more to the poor?

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/12/pf/taxes/hillary-clinton-taxes-rich/

That's what Hillary SAYS, but let's look at the truth of exactly which income group is paying the highest average effective federal income tax rate...

Top 0.1%: 27.91%
Top 1%: 27.08%
Middle class (if defined by a mean household income of ~$52,000): Somewhere less than 10%

Tables 1 and 8, here:
Summary of the Latest Federal Income Tax Data, 2015 Update | Tax Foundation

Isn't it amazing when it's their own money, suddenly they have no desire to do so, but when it's other peoples money, they better fork it over!

Old 03-15-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
It's not about keeping what you earn, it's about reverse redistribution. There are other examples, read the article. Calling social program spending to the poor 'redistribution' and then claiming that tax breaks to the wealthy are 'incentives' is just plain BS.
No money is spent on tax deductions. The government doesn't actually GIVE anyone any money for a tax deduction. It just means that they get to keep more of what THEY earned. That's where your logic fails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies