Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2016, 09:46 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No money is spent on tax deductions. The government doesn't actually GIVE anyone any money for a tax deduction. It just means that they get to keep more of what THEY earned. That's where your logic fails.
Revenue is sacrificed through tax deductions, get a clue.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:59 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times
San Francisco has a very low murder rate. It's had 3 this year while most cities near its size have had ten times more murders.

A lot of the folks who wind up dead in other cities wind up homeless there.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Isn't it amazing when it's their own money, suddenly they have no desire to do so, but when it's other peoples money, they better fork it over!
I pay taxes, so I pay for corporate tax credits, corporations sheltering income offshore, Capital gains, dividends, and debt which all get favorable treatment in the tax code, and I pay for the carried interest tax loophole.

I am paying for them because if those loopholes and credits did not exist, I would pay less in taxes. but that I could go on, but I'm sure you will try to reduce the argument to a claim that those forms of redistribution's are legitimate, but that giving a crappy cellphone to a poor or homeless person is a theft of "your money".

Old 03-15-2016, 10:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I pay taxes, so I pay for corporate tax credits, corporations sheltering income offshore, Capital gains, dividends, and debt which all get favorable treatment in the tax code, and I pay for the carried interest tax loophole.

I am paying for them because if those loopholes and credits did not exist, I would pay less in taxes. but that I could go on, but I'm sure you will try to reduce the argument to a claim that those forms of redistribution's are legitimate, but that giving a crappy cellphone to a poor or homeless person is a theft of "your money".
There's plenty of loopholes and credits for individuals as well.

You would not be paying a penny less if the corporate tax structure changed.
Individual tax vs corporate taxes are two separate buckets.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:

Actually it is.

The Universal Service Charge has gone from 10% (2007) to 18.2% (2016).

Old 03-15-2016, 10:09 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's plenty of loopholes and credits for individuals as well.

You would not be paying a penny less if the corporate tax structure changed.
Individual tax vs corporate taxes are two separate buckets.
Tax expenditures make for a big bucket.

Quote:
“Tax expenditures” are subsidies delivered through the tax code as deductions, exclusions, and other tax preferences. Tax expenditures reduce the amount of tax that households or corporations owe. To benefit from a tax expenditure, a taxpayer must undertake certain actions or meet certain criteria. For example, some households that have a mortgage can reduce their taxes by claiming a tax deduction for their spending on mortgage interest, and corporations can receive a tax subsidy for investing in machinery.

In fiscal year 2015, tax expenditures reduced federal income tax revenue by over $1.2 trillion, and they reduced payroll taxes and other revenues by an additional $128 billion.
Policy Basics: Federal Tax Expenditures

Old 03-15-2016, 10:18 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
BS. When a company receives lower revenue than expected, is that because they gave or "redistributed" their money to their customers/clients? No, it is not.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
The USG will never be happy with what it gets.
The USG spends more than it takes it..always has and always will.

Giving the government more money will not make life better.
You give Uncle Sam $1 and by the time salaries are taken out you have less than $.10 that go to the people.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Actually it is.
The Universal Service Charge has gone from 10% (2007) to 18.2% (2016).
Then get rid of your phone and you won't have to worry about paying for phones for the hoards of feckless poor people.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
BS. When a company receives lower revenue than expected, is that because they gave or "redistributed" their money to their customers/clients? No, it is not.
that's a non-sequitur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies