Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2016, 02:32 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If you really want to go with the whole tax deductions are an "expenditure" thing , you have to then also admit that nearly all the "expenditures" go to everyone but the Top 1%. There's even a huge drop off in the effective tax rate between the Top 1% and the Top 95-99%.
Cute chart.

I see you enjoy changing the subject when trounced.

Best of luck in learning more about money.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:47 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
Cute chart.
Realistic chart. Compiled from IRS data.

Quote:
I see you enjoy changing the subject when trounced.
I haven't been trounced.

A better question is... why do you deride the so-called "tax expenditures" when it's clear from IRS data that tax deductions and credits overwhelmingly benefit the poor and everyone but the Top 1%?

Are you in favor of a flat tax, like I and freemkt have advocated?

I would LOVE a flat tax. Others would finally start paying their fair share.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Realistic chart. Compiled from IRS data.
Wow.... good for you.
Quote:
I haven't been trounced.
The evidence provided indicates otherwise.
Quote:
A better question is... why do you deride the so-called "tax expenditures"
I don't. See my posts.
Quote:
when it's clear from IRS data that tax deductions and credits overwhelmingly benefit the poor and everyone but the Top 1%?
Has nothing to do with anything I've posted.
Quote:
Are you in favor of a flat tax, like I and freemkt have advocated?

I would LOVE a flat tax. Others would finally start paying their fair share.
None of my posts speak to any of these questions.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
None of my posts speak to any of these questions.
Why denigrate so-called "tax expenditures" when they overwhelmingly benefit everyone below the Top 1%?

Are you against the government supposedly "spending" money to benefit the bottom 99%?

Old 03-22-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Why denigrate so-called "tax expenditures" when they overwhelmingly benefit everyone below the Top 1%?

Are you against the government supposedly "spending" money to benefit the bottom 99%?
Why do you fail so miserably at one basic topic, only to change the subject?

Never offered an opinion on tax expenditures. Or their beneficiaries.

Just explaining them to the economically-illiterate.

Cheers......

Old 03-22-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Why do you fail so miserably at one basic topic, only to change the subject?
It's not a fail. If one doesn't have a legal obligation to pay another, the other can't claim the "unpaid" amount as an "expenditure." Period.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
It's not a fail. If one doesn't have a legal obligation to pay another, the other can't claim the "unpaid" amount as an "expenditure." Period.
That you both dislike and STILL don't understand this is quite obvious.

Sorry basic tax code proves so difficult for you.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:06 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times
The term "tax expenditure" is liberal/leftist b.s. -- right out of Orwell's "1984."

The government isn't spending anything when it fails -- for whatever reason -- to collect taxes.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:13 AM

Quote:
That you both dislike and STILL don't understand this is quite obvious.

Sorry basic tax code proves so difficult for you.
Tax code is not difficult. It's legal. I don't pay what I don't owe. My keeping some of the money I earned is NOT a government "expenditure." It's just not. Period.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:24 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
The term "tax expenditure" is liberal/leftist b.s. -- right out of Orwell's "1984."

The government isn't spending anything when it fails -- for whatever reason -- to collect taxes.

For many years, Michigan had uniform local property taxes where all taxable real property within a municipality or a school district was taxed at the same rate.

Then voters in a 'retirement destination' community repeatedly refused to renew their school property tax millage, causing local schools to close months early when their money ran out.

The legislature responded to this crisis by creating a two-tiered or "split roll" school property tax where the school tax rate was slashed for homeowners and increased on "nonhomestead" property e.g. second homes, rental property, retail, commercial, and industrial.

The legislature considered a uniform 14 mills on all property and rejected it in favor of 6 mills for homeowners and 24 mills on other property.

So when landlords pay the 24 mills on their nonhomestead property, government effectively is spending 10 mills of landlords' tax dollars and redistributing it to homeowners: instead of paying a uniform 14 mills, landlords are paying an unfair 10 additional mills (24 - 14 = 10) while homeowners are the beneficiaries of this government redistribution by paying only 6 mills rather than a uniform 14 mills (14 - 6 = 8 mills redistributed by government from landlords to homeowners).

Remember, government took an existing uniform (flat) tax rate and created winners and losers. Government effectively is spending the tax dollars of the losers by redistributing it to the winners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies