Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 08:35 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Embryos are dehumanized during IVF, aren't they?

"Let's see, we'll just pick the best embryos and freeze the rest."

IVF Blastocyst Pictures & Blastocyst Stage Embryo Grading Photos

Where's the outrage?
And then, after a certain number of years, we'll just throw the unused embryos away. Just toss them in the garbage!

Where are the vigils and rallies and protesters standing outside of these labs? Why are only the embryos which are implanted inside living, breathing women worth being saved, but these others are simply medical waste?

The answer, of course, is that they can't be used as an attempt to control women when the mass of cells is in a Petri dish, so who cares about them? Certainly not the rabid right-to-lifers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 08:37 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Understood. Anyway, I would like to point out that I certainly cannot feel like an equal to people such as yourself until after I will get surgically castrated. Seriously.
No idea what you're talking about.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:57 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifflemaffle View Post
Are you for it or against it?

Watch this before you answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fLzzdSljPI
I am pro choice. Take from that statement what you will.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:42 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
No idea what you're talking about.

I'm totally lost on the entire castration discussion, too.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:19 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
My wife had her tubes tied and got pregnant 11 years later, so that is not guaranteed. The doctor who delivered our son said that there should have been no way for her to get pregnant.
In sorry, that must of been very difficult to handle. I understand there are risks, but my husband has had a vasectomy, the tubal is just for my piece of mind.

I just think it's antiquated, discriminatory and belittling when a Dr won't perform the surgery because THEY believe I'm "too young" to know what I want and that I may one day want kids. It's incredibly frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I'm totally lost on the entire castration discussion, too.
Look at his history he has some sort of psychological obsession or fetish abiut being castrated.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:44 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The answer, of course, is that they can't be used as an attempt to control women when the mass of cells is in a Petri dish, so who cares about them? Certainly not the rabid right-to-lifers.

I'm not a right to lifer as I'm somewhere in the middle on this issue but I can assure you that in many cases, the protests are FAR more about the notion of taking a human life than they are about some desire to "control women". You ARE aware that there are many women themselves who are pro-life, right?

Old 03-23-2016, 03:31 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
In sorry, that must of been very difficult to handle. I understand there are risks, but my husband has had a vasectomy, the tubal is just for my piece of mind.

I just think it's antiquated, discriminatory and belittling when a Dr won't perform the surgery because THEY believe I'm "too young" to know what I want and that I may one day want kids. It's incredibly frustrating.

Look at his history he has some sort of psychological obsession or fetish abiut being castrated.
Well, that is certainly...odd.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:43 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
I'm not a right to lifer as I'm somewhere in the middle on this issue but I can assure you that in many cases, the protests are FAR more about the notion of taking a human life than they are about some desire to "control women". You ARE aware that there are many women themselves who are pro-life, right?

So, why aren't the men and women who are against abortion protesting in front on IVF clinics? Why is there no legislation being introduced to curtail IVF as there is to curtail abortion? We are constantly being bombarded with new laws designed to make abortions harder to obtain....why not the same for IVF?

Why all the concern for an embryo in the womb and none at all for an embryo in a petri dish?

In fact, I would argue, IVF is worse than abortion.

At least the embryo terminated during an abortion was created BY ACCIDENT, unlike the embryos terminated during IVF, that are created ON PURPOSE, knowing full well you are going to kill a bunch of them.

If it is not about controlling women, what is it about? It certainly isn't about "innocent life".

And yes, women can seek to control other women.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:37 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
So, why aren't the men and women who are against abortion protesting in front on IVF clinics? Why is there no legislation being introduced to curtail IVF as there is to curtail abortion? We are constantly being bombarded with new laws designed to make abortions harder to obtain....why not the same for IVF?

Why all the concern for an embryo in the womb and none at all for an embryo in a petri dish?

In fact, I would argue, IVF is worse than abortion.

At least the embryo terminated during an abortion was created BY ACCIDENT, unlike the embryos terminated during IVF, that are created ON PURPOSE, knowing full well you are going to kill a bunch of them.

If it is not about controlling women, what is it about? It certainly isn't about "innocent life".

And yes, women can seek to control other women.
This is complete BS! There is a huge debate in the country over stem cell research precisely BECAUSE of the destruction of embryos in the process.

It's complete feminist BS to try and paint this as some "war on women" when it's about the life that is being discarded.
I think on some level pro life advocates are morally compromised by the act themselves but if they pretend that a fetus is not really a life, just a bundle of cells or it's really about "controlling women", then they can feel better about it.

Those arguments get blown out of the water when science considers embryos a human life in it's earliest stages and there are roughly as many WOMEN protesting abortion as there are men.

Women seek to control other women? How would that even work? They'd be actively placing the same limitations of choice or external control on themselves, their own daughters and their own female family members as well. That seems awful self defeating and with the numbers of women who come out against abortion, I'd say it's much more likely to be about the life than it is control over women.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:39 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
My stance on abortion is to mind my own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies