Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 07:32 PM

26,324 posts, read 14,928,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
What about Lyndon Johnson and John F. Kennedy? (Vietnam War)
Good point with LBJ - he may have had military action on a country every single day of his presidency.

I think JFK is not a good point as there was not continual war every single day of his presidency. The day he took over, we had military advisers and some forces that were on occasion in harm's way, but it was not every single day.

I assumed they weren't as the book I was reading stated Lincoln was the only president to have war every day, but I thought that was silly as Fort Sumter happened after his inauguration and there wasn't open warfare every single day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 07:39 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,849,108 times
The USA has become that nosey neighbor that buts into everyone else's business. We aren't simply content to pass judgment or call the cops, no we have decided to be the cop. I could be wrong, but isn't that why the United Nations was formed? To be the world cop?
We have built and maintained a massive war machine on the premise that if we don't we will be invaded or attacked. By who? Who has the amphibious capability to launch such an attack on us? Who has the airlift capability to drop the hundreds of thousands of troops needed? Who has the logistics capability? No One.
Our military was built up for 1 reason. To play world cop.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,288,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
This obviously is not solely Obama's fault as inherited a massive mess from Bush. However, Obama might become our first president in our history to have war being waged every single day of his presidency. The Afghanistan War is pledged to be wound down by the end of the year, but we keep bombing away in other countries that we could have continual war dating back to 9/11/2001 when the next president takes office.

Has the world evolved into a situation where we can't avoid continual war? I hope not.

Look at the numbers: Bush bombed 4 Muslim countries, Obama bombed 7 Muslim countries. Bush sent special forces into 60 countries, Obama into 134 countries. Obama has created more non-war zone military bases.

I hope that the next president can find a way to ease things down while keeping us safe.
You mean we were not involved in the ME before Bush and Iraq ?
Might want to dust off that history book.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:31 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,912,966 times
The best way to avoid war is to kill all your enemies.

Trump'l take care of bizness.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:46 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,899,151 times
Quote:

JFK was assassinated by the CIA because he wanted to get the US out of Vietnam.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:21 AM

17,363 posts, read 9,189,828 times
Quote:
This obviously is not solely Obama's fault as inherited a massive mess from Bush. However, Obama might become our first president in our history to have war being waged every single day of his presidency. The Afghanistan War is pledged to be wound down by the end of the year, but we keep bombing away in other countries that we could have continual war dating back to 9/11/2001 when the next president takes office.

Has the world evolved into a situation where we can't avoid continual war? I hope not.

Look at the numbers: Bush bombed 4 Muslim countries, Obama bombed 7 Muslim countries. Bush sent special forces into 60 countries, Obama into 134 countries. Obama has created more non-war zone military bases.

I hope that the next president can find a way to ease things down while keeping us safe.
Obama has made ZERO attempt to win/end "War" -- he runs a containment program of sorts. You must have noticed that we no longer Capture and Interrogate Prisoners. Under the direction of TeamObama (which even micro-manages every arms drop), we have a Catch and Release Program for an prisoners in a "Not-War" zone against this J.V. Team that The Mighty Obama defeated just in time for the 2012 Election. The Pentagon confirmed again this week that we have "Catch and Release". The GITMO terrorists are also released back onto the battlefields.

TeamObama runs a Not-War. Libya was a "Not-War" and he just blamed Europe and Cameron for Libya this week. Obama thinks Drone strikes on Civilians is "Not-War", just as Special Op's is "Not War". He thinks (as do his Parrot supporters) that the 3000 "not soldiers" we have on the ground in Iraq are wearing Flip-Flops .... because we have "No-Boots" on the ground. Iraq was won and over when Obama took power ..... but he made a stupid "promise" about something he knows ZERO about and he threw Iraq back into Chaos.

ISIS has declared WAR on the USA - we can pretend that isn't happening and release their fighters when we accidentally catch one, BUT that is never going to "end" a war. It just metastasizes it.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:24 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,444,617 times
Quote:
Nixon belongs on that list as well.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:31 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,727,290 times
For any president, or any war, there is only one way to win...

The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters. --Genghis Khan.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:38 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,837,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
There would be no Sept11 attack if we didn't meddle in the Middle East.
Pat Buchanan warned us long before 9/11 of where are foreign interventionist policies were going to take us. When he was proven correct we foolishly doubled down on our interventionist foeign policy.

Both Bush and Obama, despite all evidence to the contrary, believe a peaceful democracy is actually possible in the ME.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:43 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,463,429 times
Quote:
Have any candidates specifically stated they'll do so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies