Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 08:14 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times

Advertisements

I recall my father, who was a conservative republican on the right now the wrong, say something that is pretty interesting from that point of view . One of the things he told me was that Marx miscalculated by not anticipating the unions. That sounds like an insult to the extreme left, but it was grudging admiration for unions suggesting that the edge was taken off capitalism by unions.

I also recall my grandmother whose husband died and was an early involuntary feminist who got to work along side men at the factory at Western Electric. She was union and a die hard democrat.

Now it seems to me the fundamental idea is to not allow a monopoly of power for "capital" by collective bargaining for labor. It was also anathema for "scabs" to break up the collective bargaining with the understanding it would simply drive down all wages.

The wrong might be what I call royalist republicans like the Rubia tax liability for the wealthy of 0. However the left is so far out of the building no one know where they went. Now not only do wreck unions but they wreck even the bigger labor market with the ultimate scabs of all.

Trump being a nationalist seems to take as much faith as thinking he is a lot like an old democrats. I kind of like the old democrats, almost as much as I like the 1950s republicans.

When democrats were for labor and republicans were for capital....those were the days. Now its party of victim status identity and welfare vs the tax free finance party with all 50 states as slave states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 08:19 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
Goldwater Republicans are rare, Truman Democrats are extinct.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:28 PM

716 posts, read 393,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
LOL, yeah right. Not near rare enough, they're poised to nominate another one and the result will be the same...

Old 03-11-2016, 08:34 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
Define Truman Democrat ?

Old 03-11-2016, 09:35 PM

1,438 posts, read 780,003 times
But unions in this country are basically dead so there's no longer any edge on capitalism

Old 03-11-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Define Truman Democrat ?
Someone who puts the working man over the welfare bum and illegal immigrant.

You noticed the two main Democrat candidates for Prez basically promised to flood the market with unskilled laborers.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
LOL, yeah right. Not near rare enough, they're poised to nominate another one and the result will be the same...
That is funny, what the hell do Trump and Goldwater have in common? Trump is the perfect example of a RINO.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Someone who puts the working man over the welfare bum and illegal immigrant.

You noticed the two main Democrat candidates for Prez basically promised to flood the market with unskilled laborers.
I have yet to see Marco Rubio actually disavow his immigration reform which Clinton, Obama, Sanders, and Kasich supported.

At best, your argument is about not deporting people, rather than bringing in unskilled workers, which neither party supported so lets not pretend that they do.

These people are all here, The only jobs they are taking may be some janitorial positions that are contracted in.

Further more, I have no idea what you define as "bum" but being on welfare does not mean you do not work, there are people who work multiple jobs who are still on welfare because working those jobs still doesnt mean they make enough money to live any resemblance of a decent life.

Being on welfare doesnt mean you dont work, same for being illegal.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I have yet to see Marco Rubio actually disavow his immigration reform which Clinton, Obama, Sanders, and Kasich supported.

At best, your argument is about not deporting people, rather than bringing in unskilled workers, which neither party supported so lets not pretend that they do.

These people are all here, The only jobs they are taking may be some janitorial positions that are contracted in.

Further more, I have no idea what you define as "bum" but being on welfare does not mean you do not work, there are people who work multiple jobs who are still on welfare because working those jobs still doesnt mean they make enough money to live any resemblance of a decent life.

Being on welfare doesnt mean you dont work, same for being illegal.
Did you miss the last debate? Your idiots running for President told everyone who has ever thought about sneaking across the border to do it. What responsible leaders they are.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Did you miss the last debate? Your idiots running for President told everyone who has ever thought about sneaking across the border to do it. What responsible leaders they are.
We both know they didnt say that, so would you mind quoting the exaggerated statement you are referring to ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies