Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 11:51 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times

Advertisements

Women have to pay child support too. A coworker has custody of his two kids. It's rare for the dad to get custody, but the mom is a complete psycho. She has to pay child support to him.

But OP, I do agree with you that men should have more BC options like women have. Men have condoms, or not having sex as non-permanent options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 12:43 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
OK, you're a guy with a gal. Mistakenly you impregnate her. She decides she's going to abort the child. You say no. But you have no right to that child no matter how you want it. She has the abortion. Case closed.

Well, new scenario.

You're a guy and a gal. Mistakenly you impregnate her. She wants to keep the child, you don't. She's going to have it no matter what you want and you are forced to an obligation of 18 years to support this child at the minimum - monetarily.

What if you could abort the child legally? She still gets to have the child, only you are now legally disconnected from the obligation. This would come at a price of no rights of visitation also.

So what's wrong with it?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...al-group-says/

You pay for your thrills.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:51 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,544,828 times
Quote:
OK, you're a guy with a gal. Mistakenly you impregnate her. She decides she's going to abort the child. You say no. But you have no right to that child no matter how you want it. She has the abortion. Case closed.

Well, new scenario.

You're a guy and a gal. Mistakenly you impregnate her. She wants to keep the child, you don't. She's going to have it no matter what you want and you are forced to an obligation of 18 years to support this child at the minimum - monetarily.

What if you could abort the child legally? She still gets to have the child, only you are now legally disconnected from the obligation. This would come at a price of no rights of visitation also.

So what's wrong with it?

Dont have sex with people you're not married to............ problem solved

Old 03-13-2016, 01:54 PM

613 posts, read 463,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
Men should never have a say in abortion until they're able to give birth. Until then, there's nothing they need to say about it, really.

Viewing support as a 'punishment to men' is a real deadbeat way to look at things imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Unless a man is granted equal custody of the child it is indeed a punishment. He cannot decide if a woman chooses to keep or kill her progeny in the womb but he should be able to decide for himself if he is going to play an equal parental role to the life that was created.
I mean, when a guy is put on child support in the first place, it's usually because he was doing nothing for the child anyway. Not like guys are automatically put on child support as soon as the baby is born; it's the mother's choice put them on.

Given all women have to go through to give birth, paying child support is the least men can do, especially since guys who are usually put on child support aren't doing anything else anyway .

Old 03-13-2016, 02:38 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
A couple of observations on this:

First it takes two to tango and both participants are equally responsible with the outcome (excluding rape or force relations). Second preventative methods are not always affective, our younger daughter is proof of that. Finally those who are preaching abstinence need to join the 21st century.

Woman have one battle cry when it comes to an unplanned pregnancy condition "It's my child, it's my decision" until said child is born then 'Its your child, its your responsibility". Why should the man be bound to the child because she alone chose and equally why shouldn't the woman have the child with the man being the custodian and the woman paying child support. What is the answer that's a good one but the way it works now is not good and ultimately the kids pay the price in most cases.

Old 03-13-2016, 02:52 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If a man does not want to take responsibility for raising a child he helped create then DO NOT CREATE ONE! Even kids know how to do this so ignorance is no excuse. Keep it in your pants or use condoms etc. If you do help create one you are going to pay a lot for the privilege or the carelessness.
The same argument applies to the woman. If a woman doesn't want a child or the burden that comes with it then keep your legs crossed, insist on a condom etc.
I support a woman's choice, but blaming it all on the guy is wrong. The exception of course is rape. It took 2 to make the baby. neither bears more guilt.
The issue I have with child support is the fact that the mother doesn't have to demonstrate that it is used solely for the benefit of the child. Having paid $1500.00 a month for 2 kids x 12 years I feel what some are saying. I ended up buying my kids school clothes, paying co-pays for the doctor, dentist etc. If left to the mother they would have worn thrift store specials. I am not alone in this experience.
What the money is intended for and how it is used is often 2 different things.

Old 03-13-2016, 02:54 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
I mean, when a guy is put on child support in the first place, it's usually because he was doing nothing for the child anyway. Not like guys are automatically put on child support as soon as the baby is born; it's the mother's choice put them on.

Given all women have to go through to give birth, paying child support is the least men can do, especially since guys who are usually put on child support aren't doing anything else anyway .
Not true. It maybe the case for some, but not all or even most. Part of a divorce in my state is a trip to domestic relations, unless the parent with custody declines. Lawyers push it hard because it means more billing hours.
I know all dads are bad and all moms are good.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:06 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Both a man and a woman take an equal chance of an unexpected pregnancy when they engage in consensual sex. Both need to accept the responsibility equally if a child is born. If one or both don't want the responsibility, get clipped and then you don't have to worry. If you fail to do that consequences are yours to bear.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:12 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:

Well, new scenario.

So what's wrong with it?

Solution. Keep your sperm. Once you give it away you no longer have a say in what happens to it because you gave it away. Just keep it. Problem solved.

Once there is a child it is no longer about the adults involved. It's about the child. Period. The child needs to be cared for and the bill goes to the people who donated the sperm and ovum to make said child unless someone else comes along who wants the job. That does happen. If you're lucky she'll meet someone later who wants to adopt the child but until then you're on the hook if you gave your sperm away and it resulted in a child.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:16 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times
This is just one of those things that just "is" no way around it really. The only thing a man can do it not put it where it doesn't belong if he wants to protect himself. Long story short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies