Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2019, 05:56 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,525,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Hate to burst your little bubble:

"Bubble", you say.

Quote:
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...low-last-month
https://dailycaller.com/2018/10/30/c...tings-october/
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...ings-don-lemon

Yes, more people watch the Hallmark Channel and even Nickelodeon than CNN during primetime.

That's not a "poll" that's actual data, there is a difference.

You asked me to explain it to you, so, sure. It's data, what these peoples' TVs are turned to.

Calling them up and asking what they watch, now that would be an actual poll.

Just so you'll know:

A poll is data.

Data on people's preferences.

Just like the tv ratings, which measure preferences for programs.

You can think of ratings and polls as surveys, if you prefer that term.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 06:11 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,667,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
"Bubble", you say.

Just so you'll know:

A poll is data.

Data on people's preferences.

Just like the tv ratings, which measure preferences for programs.

You can think of ratings and polls as surveys, if you prefer that term.

Lol, wrong again. To gather TV ratings, they study what Americans' TVs are turned to, channel wise. In other words, hard data.

As I explained earlier, an actual poll would be them calling everyone up and just asking what they watch.

Don't see how can can't grasp this-- cute little web links aside.

Lol.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:52 AM

17,988 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Trump 47%
Obama 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
fake news!!
You got that right.

Due to the skew of the Lamestream Blamestream Fakestream Mainstream media, academia etc., you can just go ahead and add 10 points to Trump on any given day.

Last edited by McGowdog; 09-12-2019 at 08:03 AM..

Old 09-12-2019, 07:03 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgowdog View Post
trump 47%
obama 42%

fake news!!

Old 09-12-2019, 08:41 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,525,338 times
Quote:
Lol, wrong again. To gather TV ratings, they study what Americans' TVs are turned to, channel wise. In other words, hard data.

As I explained earlier, an actual poll would be them calling everyone up and just asking what they watch.

Don't see how can can't grasp this-- cute little web links aside.

Lol.
I've participated in TV and radio ratings. The "Nielsen Ratings" are considered the gold standard in the broadcast industry.

They send you a "log book" to record what you watch/listen to and they send you constant reminders to return it on time.

"Nielsen television ratings are gathered in one of two ways:
  1. Viewer "diaries", in which a target audience self-records its viewing or listening habits. By targeting various demographics, the assembled statistical models provide a rendering of the audiences of any given show, network, and programming hour.
  2. A more technologically sophisticated system uses Set Meters, which are small devices connected to televisions in selected homes. These devices gather the viewing habits of the home and transmit the information nightly to Nielsen through a "Home Unit" connected to a phone line. The technology-based home unit system is meant to allow market researchers to study television viewing habits on a minute to minute basis, recording the moment viewers change channels or turn off their television set. In addition to set meters, individual viewer reporting devices, such as people meters, have allowed the company to separate household viewing information into various demographic groups."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_ratings

So, it's a combo of real time and mailed-in data.

Opinion polls are more real-time as they depend on phone surveys.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:47 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,583,672 times
Quote:
Sounds like you're jealous of people with money, and in any case, I never remember Trump ever trying to convince me to vote Democrat, or give my money away.
Nothing of the sort. I just wanted to point out the irony of you bashing someone as a “limousine liberal†while staunchly supporting someone who was a “limousine liberal†until only very recently when it became politically expedient to suddenly switch sides.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:46 AM

26,562 posts, read 14,436,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Trump 47%
Obama 42%

thank you for the perpetual cherry-pick of a single poll ( rasmussen ). here's the RCP average comparison:

trump 9/12/19: 43.4 approval 53.3 disapproval difference -10.0
obama 9/12/11: 43.9 approval 51.4 disapproval difference -7.5

Old 09-12-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Nothing of the sort. I just wanted to point out the irony of you bashing someone as a “limousine liberal” while staunchly supporting someone who was a “limousine liberal” until only very recently when it became politically expedient to suddenly switch sides.
I refer you to my earlier response where I touched on how I sure never heard DJT encourage me (or anybody) to vote Democrat or tell me what to do with my money or vote before he was President, like all of Hollywood/MSM does now. Trump wasn't nearly the same thing Maddow or Bill Maher is, not even close.

And I guarantee you he was a fiscal conservative since the beginning.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I've participated in TV and radio ratings. The "Nielsen Ratings" are considered the gold standard in the broadcast industry.

[*]A more technologically sophisticated system uses Set Meters, which are small devices connected to televisions in selected homes. These devices gather the viewing habits of the home and transmit the information nightly to Nielsen through a "Home Unit" connected to a phone line. The technology-based home unit system is meant to allow market researchers to study television viewing habits on a minute to minute basis, recording the moment viewers change channels or turn off their television set. In addition to set meters, individual viewer reporting devices, such as
This is exactly what I've been saying.

Ratings are different than polls. Polls are where they call you or you click online. TV ratings "know" what channels are turned to how many TVs, per your example up there.

And CNN's ratings are horrible (rightfully so); that's all I was saying.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:17 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,711,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
It is so shocking to me that a proportion of citizens in the United States of America are so blind to the evil that Donald Trump is inflicting on our country and its citizens!
what evil? The guy is a moron but the country is doing well under him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies