Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 01:11 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
can you please explain what is racist about NYC housing laws?

if a government pays for your housing, do you think you'll be moving to Beverly Hills?
Desirable neighborhoods all over NYC are notorious for turning down black tenants. This isn't even up for debate. Even the most hardened big government liberals understand this. Redlining is pretty pervasive in majority of the cities where there is a black presence. Black people are free to move OUTSIDE the city, but they almost never are allowed to move in a desirable neighbhorhood within the city. If there any desirable neighborhoods that are majority black in NYC, it is because black people made them desirable. Not because it was desirable and black people were allowed to move there.

As far as public housing. I'm all for getting rid of it entirely.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
You write the first check. Or better yet, have it in cash and hand it out in person.
And when did I mention money? I didn't mention money one time in the original post.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:12 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Sorry, this is foolish. There are many people of all backgrounds who are affected by drug laws.

Secondly, the majority of "black" people do not participate in government sponsored social programs.

Lastly, which "black" people are looking for reparations? Other than a few randoms. Whites seem to discuss reparations more. Quite strange really.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:13 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,553,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Desirable neighborhoods all over NYC are notorious for turning down black tenants. This isn't even up for debate. Even the most hardened big government liberals understand this. Redlining is pretty pervasive in majority of the cities where there is a black presence. Black people are free to move OUTSIDE the city, but they almost never are allowed to move in a desirable neighbhorhood within the city. If there any desirable neighborhoods that are majority black in NYC, it is because black people made them desirable. Not because it was desirable and black people were allowed to move there.

That is against the law, vs. your assertion that the law is written to support it.

whether it happens or not doesn't change the fact that there is no law that supports discrimination against black or minority tenants.

much to your disappointment, your opinion is not fact.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Sorry, this is foolish. There are many people of all backgrounds who are affected by drug laws.
But they impact black people more. The funny thing is majority of the drug users are white, but incarceration rates does not reflect this. So drug laws are incredibly biased towards blacks as black communities are over policed. So if you really wanted to do something for black people, I would be all for just legalizing drugs. Things certainly couldn't get any worse

Quote:
Secondly, the majority of "black" people do not participate in government sponsored social programs.
So black people don't pay for a police department? Actually they do. Black people don't pay for welfare? Actually they do. That is why I say "opt out". Just because they're paying for these services doesn't necessarily mean they're using them. So a great gift from America to blacks would be to give them an opt out clause
Quote:
Lastly, which "black" people are looking for reparations? Other than a few randoms. Whites seem to discuss reparations more. Quite strange really.
Blacks mention them too.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
That is against the law, vs. your assertion that the law is written to support it.
It is against the law. But if they deny a black tenant, they don't have to give a reason. All you can go by are housing trends which shows that landlords are a lot less likely to rent to black tenants. And most blacks couldn't get loans to buy propety in some neighborhoods.

There are a lot of ways to discriminate and still be within the letter of the law

Old 03-15-2016, 01:20 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Legalizing drugs would simply mean that blacks who can't or don't want to find jobs would move on to other criminal enterprises. There would still be a black market for drugs, but it wouldn't be nearly as lucrative.

If you think legalizing drugs would keep young black men out of jail, you're wrong.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:21 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:

This is true, especially for NYC. Many immigrants of African descent built up areas that the whites left. Years ago, it was reported that "black" residents - mostly Caribbean people - in Queens make more than than the whites.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/01/ny...nsus.html?_r=1

Old 03-15-2016, 01:26 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
But they impact black people more. The funny thing is majority of the drug users are white, but incarceration rates does not reflect this. So drug laws are incredibly biased towards blacks as black communities are over policed. So if you really wanted to do something for black people, I would be all for just legalizing drugs. Things certainly couldn't get any worse

So black people don't pay for a police department? Actually they do. Black people don't pay for welfare? Actually they do. That is why I say "opt out". Just because they're paying for these services doesn't necessarily mean they're using them. So a great gift from America to blacks would be to give them an opt out clause

Blacks mention them too.
I pay for a lot of services I don't use. And I can guarantee that I've never owned a slave, so I don't owe anyone anything. Do I get to "opt out" and get cash in hand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Legalizing drugs would simply mean that blacks who can't or don't want to find jobs would move on to other criminal enterprises. There would still be a black market for drugs, but it wouldn't be nearly as lucrative.

If you think legalizing drugs would keep young black men out of jail, you're wrong.

This is a myth. There were no disproportionate incarceration rates among young black men until the War On Drugs. If we count the time between 1880 to 1980, that is nearly 100 years without any significant disparity of black incarceration. Black men are mostly locked up due to drug laws. It IS the number one reason why black males are locked up. Without illegal drugs there wouldn't be a huge incarceration rate in America.

And what other hustle brings in BILLIONS of dollars? There is still a black market for cigarettes and alcohol, but do you see any black people in it? Of course not.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies