Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2016, 05:27 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times

Advertisements

The kid maybe wanted his "15 minutes". Now he gets 15 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 05:39 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
A childish prank is worth 15 years in one of the most brutal prisons on the planet????
Not to us, but to the North Koreans it obviously does. He didn't do the prank here, he did it over there.
Singapore will cane you for vandalism. people cried a river over that. Singapore also has the death penalty for drug trafficking. (Not a bad Idea).
Every nation has a right to determine their own laws and penalties. We don't need to agree with it, but if we go there we best obey them.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:46 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
but tell me why should he get off? because e is an american? or because he is stupid - a college man-- or because we do not honor NK period- I think it's an absurd sentence! but this is what they do- does anyone teach people to respect-- well we Americans dont- anymore - hmm

Old 03-17-2016, 05:49 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,766 times
I do feel N Korea is making an example out of this foolish young American man. Whenever you travel outside of the US you must respect the other country , laws & their citizens as you are a guest. Foreign countries do become annoyed with American tourist's arrogance as many Americans act rudely and that the world revolves around them.

Do I think this poor kid deserves this sentence- ABSOLUTELY NOT!! It truly was a stupid prank type behavior that should have had some consequence to scare the kid but this is a seriously harsh sentence. If this kid has to fulfill this sentence then I suspect if he survives he forever will be changed and hopefully will have a future since he will speak fluent Korean and I'm sure in strong physical shape after 15 years of "hard" labor.

After I heard this story the first thing I thought was why in the hell would I want to go to any country that has such severely strained relations with the U.S...& what Christian church encourages stealing??

Old 03-17-2016, 05:58 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
I do feel N Korea is making an example out of this foolish young American man. Whenever you travel outside of the US you must respect the other country , laws & their citizens as you are a guest. Foreign countries do become annoyed with American tourist's arrogance as many Americans act rudely and that the world revolves around them.

Do I think this poor kid deserves this sentence- ABSOLUTELY NOT!! It truly was a stupid prank type behavior that should have had some consequence to scare the kid but this is a seriously harsh sentence. If this kid has to fulfill this sentence then I suspect if he survives he forever will be changed and hopefully will have a future since he will speak fluent Korean and I'm sure in strong physical shape after 15 years of "hard" labor.

After I heard this story the first thing I thought was why in the hell would I want to go to any country that has such severely strained relations with the U.S...& what Christian church encourages stealing??
One thing he won't be is in "strong physical shape" after 15 years of hard labor. I doubt he will even serve that 15 years...not sure where I read it, but NK has this little game that they like to play with foreign prisoners. They sentence them harshly, and then release them a short time after (maybe a couple months, maybe a couple of years) to show how "nice" they are being. It's all propaganda.

But, while he's doing hard labor, he's not going to be getting buff. They are not nice at all to their prisoners. They don't get much to eat at all, they are totally demoralized, and they live in fear every day that it will be their last...and it may not be a nice last day. Those people in NK are hard core. People really need to learn before they visit another country, just exactly what the country is known for. They can't just read the "feel good" sites, they need to read all of it. A simple 20 minutes on Google or Bing or whatever search engine will reveal all kinds of information that should make anyone with a functioning brain rethink a "fun little trip" to North Korea...especially one that involves stealing a poster in exchange for a used car.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:05 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
but tell me why should he get off? because e is an american? or because he is stupid - a college man-- or because we do not honor NK period- I think it's an absurd sentence! but this is what they do- does anyone teach people to respect-- well we Americans dont- anymore - hmm
For once we agree. Except for in bold.
Some don't respect. Many or even most do or you would see more Americans making the headlines.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:07 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
One thing he won't be is in "strong physical shape" after 15 years of hard labor. I doubt he will even serve that 15 years...not sure where I read it, but NK has this little game that they like to play with foreign prisoners. They sentence them harshly, and then release them a short time after (maybe a couple months, maybe a couple of years) to show how "nice" they are being. It's all propaganda.

But, while he's doing hard labor, he's not going to be getting buff. They are not nice at all to their prisoners. They don't get much to eat at all, they are totally demoralized, and they live in fear every day that it will be their last...and it may not be a nice last day. Those people in NK are hard core. People really need to learn before they visit another country, just exactly what the country is known for. They can't just read the "feel good" sites, they need to read all of it. A simple 20 minutes on Google or Bing or whatever search engine will reveal all kinds of information that should make anyone with a functioning brain rethink a "fun little trip" to North Korea...especially one that involves stealing a poster for a used car.
I realize he will not be treated nicely and I worry more the Korean prisoners will abuse him harshly. He will have to toughen up one way or another to survive. I truly feel for this fellow and wish him for a reprise from the court..political or not.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
For once we agree. Except for in bold.
Some don't respect. Many or even most do or you would see more Americans making the headlines.
when the heads of state call presidents liars in a public forum and they act the way the do on TV- you could teach respect at home... but that egg has been cracked -- do not expect more from the next generation

Old 03-17-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
I realize he will not be treated nicely and I worry more the Korean prisoners will abuse him harshly. He will have to toughen up one way or another to survive. I truly feel for this fellow and wish him for a reprise from the court..political or not.
The way he appeared in court --the boy needs prayers - seriously-- he will break down and maybe NOT recoup... this is harsh- and men of war break-- God keep him-

Old 03-17-2016, 07:11 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Most of you seem to be so happy that this kid got what he deserved. But he is a kid don't forget. And what if he was your kid. Would you be this happy. Most of us, if not all did really stupid things at his age

I agree. It is as if the people on this thread, who seem happy that a college student from America, did not have due process, a fair trial, and a punishment to fit the crime. It is as if these people don't really value what our constitution is about. Who would have thunk that there are Americans who side with North Korea~!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies