Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 08:46 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
That's different. Leftists love to see a serviceman that made a wrong turn and told authorities he made a mistake sentenced to a craphole prison. But an ignorant college student vandalizing another nations property? No, he is to get our sympathy.
Well I can't speak for everyone, but I certainly don't love to see that. Not at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 09:29 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,225,728 times
Jesus tap dancing Christ, some people will take anything and make it a right v. left issue, when it's clearly a simple right v. wrong issue.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:52 AM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Jesus tap dancing Christ, some people will take anything and make it a right v. left issue, when it's clearly a simple right v. wrong issue.

wrong = left

Thought I'd clarify your post for others

Old 03-20-2016, 09:17 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Godwins law is now in full effect.
Are the concentration camps in North Korea more humane than the concentration camps in Germany that no gave a damn about?

Old 03-20-2016, 09:35 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Again, common sense would tell you that Otto did not try to take a poster. Does anyone think it logical that Otto conspired with the Methodist church, the Z society, the CIA, and the administration for the goal of taking a propaganda poster??? Do you really believe that Otto practiced for this "crime" by stealing street signs in the US first? Would an honor student take down a six foot metal sign thinking he could fit it in his suitcase and get it through an airport?

The grainy video allegedly of Otto taking down the sign is supposedly surveillance video in a staff only area of the hotel in the middle of the night. The lights are on bright there at the time of the video. This would not happen. NK has a tremendous energy shortage and the lights would not be on at this time. Otto surely would not have put the lights on before attempting to steal a sign. The image of whoever took the sign down is unrecognizable. That video is a sham.

What scares me most is how so many people here fall for and believe the propaganda of North Korea!

Old 03-20-2016, 09:52 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Again, common sense would tell you that Otto did not try to take a poster. Does anyone think it logical that Otto conspired with the Methodist church, the Z society, the CIA, and the administration for the goal of taking a propaganda poster??? Do you really believe that Otto practiced for this "crime" by stealing street signs in the US first? Would an honor student take down a six foot metal sign thinking he could fit it in his suitcase and get it through an airport?

The grainy video allegedly of Otto taking down the sign is supposedly surveillance video in a staff only area of the hotel in the middle of the night. The lights are on bright there at the time of the video. This would not happen. NK has a tremendous energy shortage and the lights would not be on at this time. Otto surely would not have put the lights on before attempting to steal a sign. The image of whoever took the sign down is unrecognizable. That video is a sham.

What scares me most is how so many people here fall for and believe the propaganda of North Korea!
What scares me the most is that you make excuses for the fact that he went there in the first place, and now want to start a war over it.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:25 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What scares me the most is that you make excuses for the fact that he went there in the first place, and now want to start a war over it.
I wouldn't go there.

But hey, I wouldn't jump out of an airplane, ride a motorbike at 100 mph, be a Missonary in a country held by rebels, a doctor without borders, or a soldier in a war, either.

Other people do/are though. That's what makes us interesting. In NK, you can't do anything that's not government sanctioned.

And just because I personally wouldn't do these high risk activities, I don't feel that gives me the right to poke at someone who did and suffered a catastrophic outcome as a result. I feel terrible for them.

I tend to lead toward jojajn's POV that the kid did not steal the sign. Was it horribly risky to go there? Absolutely. Did he do anything criminal? I doubt it. Do people do things I wouldn't for reasons I can't fathom? Yes. Does that mean they deserve what they get? Unless they've committed a heinous act against another person in the course of doing it, no.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:22 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,642 times
Quote:

I don't see where common sense tells us anything. People do stupid all the time.
And even in NK, they have probably heard of motion sensors to control lighting, turning lights on when someone enters an area, and then turning them off after motion is no longer detected.
Often, cameras are triggered the same way.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:11 PM

1,431 posts, read 912,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I'm sure what you're trying to achieve here, I've quite plainly said the guy is reaping the consequences of his actions. I'm not defending his choice to go to NK. I'm well aware of the perils of doing so.
So he brought this whole thing on himself. Regardless of how anyone feels about it, he screwed up.

Quote:
Send a drone to bomb the only person in that country who is fat!
Are you kidding me? You know what kind of conflict that would cause? For reasons I can't state on here, that action would most likely ignite a world war. If you're not willing to participate in a deployment (which I'm sure you're not), then I wouldn't suggest such a foolish course of action.

Quote:
Why did so many people fight to get that marine, who took guns across the Mexican border, released from jail there? That Marine clearly was stupid but no one thought he should spend his life in jail for it. Why is this incident so different?
The Marine is in the military. Not exactly fair, but it is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I wouldn't go there.

But hey, I wouldn't jump out of an airplane, ride a motorbike at 100 mph, be a Missonary in a country held by rebels, a doctor without borders, or a soldier in a war, either.

Other people do/are though. That's what makes us interesting. In NK, you can't do anything that's not government sanctioned.

And just because I personally wouldn't do these high risk activities, I don't feel that gives me the right to poke at someone who did and suffered a catastrophic outcome as a result. I feel terrible for them.

I tend to lead toward jojajn's POV that the kid did not steal the sign. Was it horribly risky to go there? Absolutely. Did he do anything criminal? I doubt it. Do people do things I wouldn't for reasons I can't fathom? Yes. Does that mean they deserve what they get? Unless they've committed a heinous act against another person in the course of doing it, no.
1. If you jump out of an airplane and die, you took a calculated risk.
2. If you ride a bike at 100+ mph and die, you took a calculated risk. I've done this and I didn't die, but it would've been my fault if I did. And I wouldn't expect any sympathy from anyone.
3. If you're a missionary in a rebel country and die, you took a calculated risk.
4. If you're a doctor without borders and die, you took a calculated risk.
6. If you're a soldier in a war (I went 4 times), you took a calculated risk. I fully knew the possible consequences of going. I've lost multiple friends over there. And I miss them, but it's what we signed up for.

I rarely feel sorry for my own self, so it's hard for me to feel bad for a grown man that dug a hole for himself. Once again, the punishment for the crime sucks. He should've never been there in the first place though. And if this was actually to impress a girl? Then I really don't feel bad.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:15 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
WTH are you referring to??? In the press conference, he says it was a heavy sign made of metal and so he set it on the floor and did not take it. Watch the video of the press conference...There may be a dictator over there but why do you let them fool you here with their propaganda?

My god! That is how Hitler became so popular around the world. People were fools who believed his lies.

Video: North Korea releases footage of crime that got American student jailed for 15 years - Telegraph
OK, so he attempted to steal it. In their minds, same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies