Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your positions on gun-owning and death penalty? I'm---
pro-gun, pro-death penalty 55 57.89%
pro-gun, anti-death penalty 18 18.95%
anti-gun, pro-death penalty 4 4.21%
anti-gun, anti-dealth penalty 7 7.37%
Highly depending on circumstance 10 10.53%
Unsure/no position/don't care 1 1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 07:48 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times

Advertisements

Pro gun instant death penalty for burglars like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZGSQXmJPaQ&sns=em
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 10:18 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
Anti/Anti

I'm generally a pacifist, unless someone is trying to kill someone else and non-violent methods cannot be used to stop them, or if it's for hunting animals for sustenance.

For violent criminals, I think rehab is preferable, if not then banishment, if not that then jail. For nonviolent criminals, community service and/or fines. Maybe it's because I'm young and naive, but I think there's goodness in everyone's hearts.

As for guns, I'm against them unless they're for hunting (sorry!). I know many people don't feel safe without guns, but our gun crime per capita is higher than in other developed countries. Australia got rid of guns and they have almost no gun crime. I don't mean to offend gun owners, I just think getting rid of guns would do good in the long-run. The fewer weapons in the world, the better IMO.
Australia has plenty of other crime though, but that of course doesn't matter in the minds of the zealots. Anyway, you can't be anti-gun and be a pacifist at the same time. While you can be a pacifist while being pro-gun, you can't preach, condone or participate in taking people's guns away by force and proclaim you are a pacifist or even 'generally' a pacifist.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:21 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,387,406 times
I just increased my position in Smith&Wesson stock by $3500 this morning, so I am Pro/Pro!!!

Old 03-21-2016, 04:19 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,793,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
What's your position on the two issues?
I'm pro-gun rights other than for mentally ill people and convicted violent criminals; thus, I certainly support tougher gun control measures but also support allowing law-abiding, mentally sane people to legally own guns.

As for the death penalty, I certainly support it in cases where mentally sane convicted criminals voluntarily request it but oppose it in all other cases.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:47 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,421 times
As part of the pro side, thoughts on repealing the fed firearms act, or at least the tax portion, to legally purchase full auto and suppressors?

Old 03-21-2016, 06:07 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
i want to keep my weapon and some need death- I do not believe in 20 yrs death row-- at all - 7 yrs max- bet more be done to solve cases and attys could not be late or no shows or delays and delay and delay

Old 03-21-2016, 06:41 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times
Pro-gun more or less. I do not think eliminating guns is a solution to issues involving crime, nor is it a realistic goal. I'm not opposed to background checks, though I don't see them as a saving grace either and consider a waiting period of more than 3 days to be sort of absurd.

Very much anti-death penalty. I do not consider it possible to have a moral society and use death as a punishment at the same time.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:22 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
I'm 100% pro-gun/2nd Amendment. On the death penalty, with me being a Christian, that's a gray area, it depends on how many people the criminal has killed. Wackos like Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacy deserved the death penalty, and whether or not they'll face God's eternal judgment, it's not up to me to decide.

In my opinion, average murderers will suffer more spending the rest of the lives in prison, putting them to death will only put them out of their misery.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:26 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
i want to keep my weapon and some need death- I do not believe in 20 yrs death row-- at all - 7 yrs max- bet more be done to solve cases and attys could not be late or no shows or delays and delay and delay
That's a good point, when somebody is sentenced to death they will most likely spend a long time in prison before the sentence is actually carried out, unlike the old days when they were hanged right after they're sentenced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies