Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2016, 09:09 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The fact that you refuse to answer the question is answer enough. And yeah, it's an ugly world you envision. But that's okay, because you lost this fight already, so what you think doesn't matter. The world is changing and the bigots are losing.
We will always have bigots and more laws doesn't mean fewer bigots. I haven't lost any fight. I dislike bigots as much as anyone does. I'm not fighting for bigots. I'm fighting for freedom.

You, on the other hand, need government to tell you how to live and you need government to impose your values on others. That is a sorry state of mind.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
False.

This has come up in the courts time and time again over the past 40 years..
Try reading my post slowly. See? It says nothing about what is legal.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapowermike View Post
I respect the opposing view and will forever fight for your freedom to express it, but when the result of that expression tramples on the rights of another group I can not support it.
Since when did anyone have the right to my products?

Old 03-21-2016, 09:18 AM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
We will always have bigots and more laws doesn't mean fewer bigots. I haven't lost any fight. I dislike bigots as much as anyone does. I'm not fighting for bigots. I'm fighting for freedom.

You, on the other hand, need government to tell you how to live and you need government to impose your values on others. That is a sorry state of mind.
So you think the civil rights act was an unnecessary government over reach.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:47 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Note, if you've used up your WaPo free quota, HuffPost carries a story based on WaPo - Gay Couple Horrifically Burned With Boiling Water In Alleged Hate Crime (GRAPHIC)
Yep, the slippery slope is on the way. Next thing you know, bakers and florists who don't want to sell cakes and flowers for gay marriages will start tossing boiling water on the happy couple.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:10 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
House Bill 757, which passed the Georgia legislature Wednesday night, would allow pastors to refuse to marry same-sex couples, permit churches, religious schools to refuse to host events for anyone who doesn’t share their beliefs and allow faith-based employers to deny hiring someone for the same reason.

I don't see anything wrong with the above.
The Georgia Legislature is pandering to bigots that don't know or don't care that preachers and private organizations allowed to discriminate. Businesses on the other hand cannot.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:16 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,033 times
Quote:

It sounds a lot like you're OPPOSED to the gov't writing laws, especially ones that infringe or impose a set of values on anyone else.

if that's the case. good for you. we the people are all created equal, PERIOD.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:53 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
There is an easy solution to that problem; businesses should be able to choose who they do business with for any reason.
You can. Individually. You can't make blanket exclusions.

You can say Mikeyyc, you're a butthole and I refuse to do work for you. You can't say, Mikeyyc, I'm not doing work for you because we don't work for white males. That's discrimination.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:56 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapowermike View Post
I am saddened by the support of this bill. I understand that folks are worried that freedom in general and the freedom to practice religion is under attack, but I just don't see it anywhere in these United States other than on Fox News. I'm a Pentecostal, Baptist conservative white man and I have in no way been forced into hiding in the practice of my faith. I'm also a veteran and have taken up arms in the protection of this great country - I would do it again if our freedoms were threatened by enemies foreign or domestic. But that is simply not happening as described by the supporters of this bill - I'm terribly disappointed in the people who whip up the public, especially faith based congregations, in the false belief that being a good Christian by loving our fellow man as ourselves somehow violates our 'religion'.

Love God and love others - Jesus didn't say love others who are the same color, sex, class or other random character feature typically used to discriminate and therefore dominate someone that isn't exactly like us.

I respect the opposing view and will forever fight for your freedom to express it, but when the result of that expression tramples on the rights of another group I can not support it.
Well said, and thank you for your service.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:05 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003
View Post
There is an easy solution to that problem; businesses should be able to choose who they do business with for any reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
You can. Individually. You can't make blanket exclusions.

You can say Mikeyyc, you're a butthole and I refuse to do work for you. You can't say, Mikeyyc, I'm not doing work for you because we don't work for white males. That's discrimination.
Now ask him how he plans to let all those people a business refuses to serve know they are not welcome. Will he advocate that they put signs in their businesses stating, "No blacks allowed," or "We don't serve gay people here"? He refuses to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies