Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2016, 11:41 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings18 View Post
They are though.

Gloria Steinem
Jessica Valenti
Anita Sarkeesian

These people all fit the mold I described and are certainly feminists.
I'm not familiar with second two, but Gloria Steinem's mission has always been gender equality, not the superiority of women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 12:07 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
I would actually urge everyone to take sometime and look at all sides of the culture and people and not just focus on a literary definition to define their views.

Their seems to be a lot of ignorance going on, on both sides of the argument.

The some of the people being dismissed as "extremist" are the same people who right now are giving presentations under invite to the UN on gender equality issues and special interest lobbies, they are also the ones asking for social reform by the way of censorship by rights reforms.

While their intention may be to protect their rights, they are doing so by asking to have others rights removed in the process. Which isn't a male or female issue at the end of the day, it and issue of privilege.

it's asking to have more basic human rights over the other.

Last edited by rego00123; 03-24-2016 at 12:29 PM..

Old 03-24-2016, 12:26 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
I would actually urge everyone to take sometime and look at all sides of the culture and people and not just focus on a literary definition to define their views.

Their seems to be a lot of ignorance going on, on both sides of the argument.

The some of the people being dismissed as "extremist" are the same people who right now are giving presentations see invite to the UN on gender equality issues and special interest lobbies, they are also the ones asking for social reform by the way of censorship by rights reforms.

While their intention may be to protect rights, they are doing so by asking to have others rights removed in the process.
I'm having a hard time figuring out what you mean in the part I bolded.

What rights reforms (not even sure what a rights reform is) are being censored?

What rights are being removed by creating social equality for women?

Old 03-24-2016, 12:35 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitascreed View Post
Let's say you've been dating a woman for a little while and at some point you have a conversation with her during which she reveals out that she's a feminist. So, you ask her what she means by that in order to clarify (feminism of course can mean different things depending on the weather) and it turns out that she is in fact an actual feminist (as opposed to saying it as a careless comment).
Seeing how "feminist" is a rather vague term, I would have asked her more about her beliefs and made a judgement call as to whether she was an extremist or not.

I have no problem with those that seek equality. However, I have a huge problem with those who seem to think they should be more than equal.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:49 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
I'm having a hard time figuring out what you mean in the part I bolded.

What rights reforms (not even sure what a rights reform is) are being censored?

What rights are being removed by creating social equality for women?
Their is far more a Google search and site devoted to your particular sensibilities can offer than I can so I will leave you with what the story and outlined details are for you to read and take in how you will.

The gist: a attempt to have ISP's conform to a list of demands made in the wake of online harassment and criticizing of a particular female rights movement business practices, agenda hypocrisy and profiteering.

Her message was initially to stop online harassment, which everyone can agree is worthy of a serious introspection but quickly turned to her own agenda on the back of her own business, view and experiences.

She not only called for a solution to harassment, but her proposal goes as far as giving power to limit Internet usuage to anyone in disagreement. Vaild, civil or otherwise by forcing online service providers to be big brothers and held liable for indivual acts that do not conform to the proposed.

Anita Zoey UN should get you enough material to read. Her proposal to the UN is also online if you want to read it verbatim

Last edited by rego00123; 03-24-2016 at 01:03 PM..

Old 03-25-2016, 07:55 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
No.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:21 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
it begs the question if that's the meaning why wouldn't it just human rights at that point?
Why separate in to catorgoies and special interests of all things equal are what we strive to achieve?

This is the issue many modern females rights movements face, When to know where one starts and another begins and where the persuit of indivual rights turns to seeking indivual privilege
I've said this many times here and it falls on deaf ears. I don't identify as a feminist, and never will, because I don't think women's rights are more important than anyone else's. I believe everyone should have equal rights, not just women. I also refuse to join a movement that has overwhelmingly become about making men less important.

I actually had someone here say she would stand by and let a man abuse me because I'm not a feminist, which, in her wacky mind, means I want to be physically abused by men. She's a perfect example of what feminism is currently, and I want no part of it.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:31 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I've said this many times here and it falls on deaf ears. I don't identify as a feminist, and never will, because I don't think women's rights are more important than anyone else's. I believe everyone should have equal rights, not just women. I also refuse to join a movement that has overwhelmingly become about making men less important.

I actually had someone here say she would stand by and let a man abuse me because I'm not a feminist, which, in her wacky mind, means I want to be physically abused by men. She's a perfect example of what feminism is currently, and I want no part of it.
I completely disagree that this is what feminism currently is - but you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:59 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
I have asked for social or political examples of someone calling themselves a feminist trying to lessen the rights of men or make men unimportant. No one has ever been able to do that. Except for the guys who want to do things like return to the days of legalized rape within marriage and stuff like that. When I think of feminism, I think of things like 50/50 custody which is now the norm in many states. Child support formulas that are based solely on income. How is that bad?

Old 03-26-2016, 12:14 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,482,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post

She doesn't speak for all feminists, and you don't speak about all feminists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies