Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 02:44 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
yes he did.

Obama offered him OUR help and Castro declined

Castro, 89, laced his opinion piece with nationalist sentiment and, bristling at Obama's offer to help Cuba, said the country was able to produce the food and material riches it needs with the efforts of its people.

"We don't need the empire to give us anything," he wrote

you can't make this stuff up-trying to give OUR money away and getting a smackdown over it.

and Hillary is running as Obama's 3rd term-this should be good,
Can you believe that? We actually have to give Cuba stuff, kowtow to them, apologize for being "an evil imperial empire", kiss Castro's butt - all for the privledge of US lifting sanctions against Cuba. Like I said, US is gaining nothing, Cuba is gaining everything. I won't be surprised if we give away Guantanamo Bay Navy Base.

It's like - what's wrong with this picture? This is actually opposite of what one would expect. Yeah lift the sanctions but, like, what happened to deal making and the arts of quid-pro-quo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 02:55 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Can you believe that? We actually have to give Cuba stuff, kowtow to them, apologize for being "an evil imperial empire", kiss Castro's butt - all for the privledge of US lifting sanctions against Cuba. Like I said, US is gaining nothing, Cuba is gaining everything. I won't be surprised if we give away Guantanamo Bay Navy Base.
Good lord, what a bunch of hyperbole.

What are we giving Cuba?
Nothing.

How did we kowtow to Cuba?
Visiting is not kowtowing.

When did we apologize to Cuba?
Apologize? You didn't hear Obama's speech to the Cuban people. Maybe you should take a listen.

When did we kiss Castro's butt?
Castro's pissed because no one did.

Good lord a-mighty!

Old 03-28-2016, 03:29 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Good lord, what a bunch of hyperbole.

What are we giving Cuba?
Nothing.

How did we kowtow to Cuba?
Visiting is not kowtowing.

When did we apologize to Cuba?
Apologize? You didn't hear Obama's speech to the Cuban people. Maybe you should take a listen.

When did we kiss Castro's butt?
Castro's pissed because no one did.

Good lord a-mighty!

In statecraft you either have a leader visit you in your country, or you visit a leader in his country, or you meet on neutral ground. I am not talking about career diplomats, but leaders. The first is preferable obviously, you have the home field advantage. If you travel to visit this other leader in his country it's a sign of either two things - 1.) You are visiting from a point of weakness and subjacation, or, 2.) You have something the leader wants really bad and are willing to bargain for this. Or it could be a very good ally, but clearly that is not the case here. Since we clearly are not asking for anything, #2 does not apply and #1 does - Obama was approaching Cuba from a point of subjactation, weakness, penance, self-abasement, whatever you want to call it....

A leader of the most powerful country in the world doesn't visit another leader in his home country unless we get something in return. What's our return? He certainly doesn't visit, leaves, and then gets insulted by the other countries leading statesmen as happened here.

Yes I quoted his speech early in the discussion, you should also listen, or maybe smack your head once again as shown in your emoticon. "The blue waters beneath Air Force One once carried American battle ships to this island to liberate but also to exert control over Cuba...I have come here to bury the last remnant of the Cold War in the Americas." To me, sir, THAT'S AN APOLOGY. An offering of good will yes, but it's an apology.

Look, I'm all for renewing relations with Cuba, but this is the wrong way to do it.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:35 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
In statecraft you either have a leader visit you in your country, or you visit a leader in his country, or you meet on neutral ground. I am not talking about career diplomats, but leaders. The first is preferable obviously, you have the home field advantage. If you travel to visit this other leader in his country it's a sign of either two things - 1.) You are visiting from a point of weakness and subjacation, or, 2.) You have something the leader wants really bad and are willing to bargain for this. Or it could be a very good ally, but clearly that is not the case here.

A leader of the most powerful country in the world doesn't visit another leader in his home country unless we get something in return. What's our return? He certainly doesn't visit, leaves, and then gets insulted by the other countries leading statesmen.

Yes I quoted his speech early in the discussion, you should also listen, or maybe smack your head once again as shown in your emoticon. "The blue waters beneath Air Force One once carried American battle ships to this island to liberate but also to exert control over Cuba...I have come here to bury the last remnant of the Cold War in the Americas." To me, sir, THAT'S AN APOLOGY. An offering of good will yes, but it's an apology.
No, it isn't an apology.

What should he have said "I have come to see how the commies live"? LOL

Old 03-28-2016, 09:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
The libs are terrorist and commie sympathizers themselves.

That's why they won't admit it.

Exactly.

Cuba can do whatever it wants.

And we'll continue the embargo and bomb them every day if we see fit.
Give it up. It's over. We've already established detente with Cuba, and the progress of it can't be stopped.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:40 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
That must be a good slap on Obama's face. So much for playing mr nice guy. Castro effectively said kissed my butt.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:36 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
That must be a good slap on Obama's face. So much for playing mr nice guy. Castro effectively said kissed my butt.
We're going to have normalized relations with Cuba. Get used to it.

I know that it causes you pain, but that's what Advil is for.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:51 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Brother, somebody's really butt hurt because the 21st century came along and they weren't finished reading the national Geographic copies showing the topless Africans on the cover.

Never mind, you'll eventually catch up to the progress that's been made in the last 50 years without your being aware. It's been quite a ride, you'll really appreciate those ball point pens.
Progress?

That's a laugh.

What is this progress?

A bunch of nerdy hipsters staring zombie-like into their devices after being coddled by helicopter parents, demanding "safe spaces," complaining about "micro-aggressions," and being brainwashed by constipated commie-loving, terrorist-loving losers with Ph.D.s and bad haircuts?

BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
What does that have to do with opening relations with Cuba, since when did we concern ourselves with human rights. Cuba hasn't done a thing to us in recent history but some are still stuck on fighting communism in 2016, time to move on.
Cuba has been giving sanctuary to criminals who committed murder in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
The control freaks again - what is up with people all wanting to be the same and think the same?? I do NOT get it! let the CUBANS BREATHE!!!! they are their own country - thanks Desertdetroiter! someone gets it
Screw Cuba and some of the other garbage dumps in the Caribbean. It is a disgrace to our hemisphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I saw where Fidel gave a big FU to Obama's visit...prolly how I would feel if Obama visited me.
LOL

Quote:
Can you believe that? We actually have to give Cuba stuff, kowtow to them, apologize for being "an evil imperial empire", kiss Castro's butt - all for the privilege of US lifting sanctions against Cuba. Like I said, US is gaining nothing, Cuba is gaining everything. I won't be surprised if we give away Guantanamo Bay Navy Base.

It's like - what's wrong with this picture? This is actually opposite of what one would expect. Yeah lift the sanctions but, like, what happened to deal making and the arts of quid-pro-quo?
You have to vote for Trump if you want something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Give it up. It's over. We've already established detente with Cuba, and the progress of it can't be stopped.
Yes, it can be, and it will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Why not, when the big O is begging to do just that?

Obama is a Muslim, a commie and a terrorist-lover -- not to mention a traitor.

Some of us knew that even before he was elected!

Old 03-29-2016, 12:18 PM

1,438 posts, read 779,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
yes he did.

Obama offered him OUR help and Castro declined

Castro, 89, laced his opinion piece with nationalist sentiment and, bristling at Obama's offer to help Cuba, said the country was able to produce the food and material riches it needs with the efforts of its people.

"We don't need the empire to give us anything," he wrote

you can't make this stuff up-trying to give OUR money away and getting a smackdown over it.

and Hillary is running as Obama's 3rd term-this should be good,
Fidel doesn't run anything in Cuba anymore. Apparently he's not happy about Raul cozying up to the U.S. but there's nothing he can do about it.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:44 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times
Interesting take on the visit.

"A historic meeting between US President Barack Obama and Cuban President Raul Castro concluded in an awkward moment of epic proportions with Obama’s arm left dangling limply after Castro appeared to knock back a hug from the American leader."

RT: Awkward! Obama left hanging after Castro deflects embrace (VIDEO)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies