Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2016, 02:31 PM

876 posts, read 1,001,498 times

Advertisements

I am asking from a moral rather than a pragmatic perspective. Do people these days actually deserve to have a voice? Because I can't help but feel these days that most people are so disgustingly stupid/ignorant/greedy that for all intents and purposes they deserve a tyrant who is willing to treat them for what they are.

People keep throwing insults at politicians (whom I admit are generally ****), but almost without fail most are either just as bad as the people they hate on or even worse. Oh, and they are generally extremely ignorant as well on most of the topics they are talking about.

Call me a psycho but honestly if am almost hoping for a dictatorship at this point even if for no other reason than to see the dumb people who keep blaming others for all their problems be treated as poorly as they deserve to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 02:56 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
And yours is just the kind of logic that allows dictatorships to flourish. They don't just happen. People allow them to happen.

All people have a right to their own opinions and beliefs. We are free to act according to those beliefs. If you think the views of others are inferior, you have every right to explain your point of view. Please, don't spare a moment in educating everyone on why they should not even be allowed to consider the other side of the argument.

I wouldn't call your logic "psycho". I would call it passive, or sheepish.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:13 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
As it was once said in a popular movie;
"Deserve has got nothing to do with it."

For those of us who grew up in a democracy, it's a thing that is taken for granted. And like anything that is taken for granted, it becomes easy to abuse.

At the same time, democracy is a very hard thing to hold on to. If it becomes too polite, it becomes as fragile as when it's not polite enough. Either extreme makes it easy for a strongman to bully his way to the top of the pile.

Americans have more experience in democracy than any other present nation in the entire world. We are all aces when it comes to disputation, and as a nation, we are always prone to excess. But we also know and understand the dangers that come from both very well, too, and we hold a mutual respect that, I believe, always comes to bring us back to balance after our one great bloodletting.

No democracy ever revived intact after a civil war except for ours. That single shattering left us all with a loathing to never repeat that amount of excess of passion again, and I believe it purged our systems of our greatest, most dangerous poisons of the blood, and inoculated us all from future re-infection. We may become ill from time to time, but we have never gone to slaughtering each other since.
That itself is both remarkable and unique. I do not believe we are so corrupted as to ever allow a dictatorship here to ever take root, much less than allow one to flourish.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:41 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
We deserve a Republic where the rights of the individual are honored and the 51 percent don't get to tell the 49 percent what to do.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:47 AM

876 posts, read 1,001,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
We deserve a Republic where the rights of the individual are honored and the 51 percent don't get to tell the 49 percent what to do.
lol most people don't even care about individual liberty, but merely their own. It's one of the reasons I can't stand democracy zealots, they foam at the mouth when they aren't given a say but don't care much if it is someone else who is being trampled because then democracy doesn't suit their purposes anymore. I have almost never met anybody who's love for democracy was not based on temporary convenience.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:00 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
I am asking from a moral rather than a pragmatic perspective. Do people these days actually deserve to have a voice? Because I can't help but feel these days that most people are so disgustingly stupid/ignorant/greedy that for all intents and purposes they deserve a tyrant who is willing to treat them for what they are.

People keep throwing insults at politicians (whom I admit are generally ****), but almost without fail most are either just as bad as the people they hate on or even worse. Oh, and they are generally extremely ignorant as well on most of the topics they are talking about.

Call me a psycho but honestly if am almost hoping for a dictatorship at this point even if for no other reason than to see the dumb people who keep blaming others for all their problems be treated as poorly as they deserve to be.

Iceland has a tiny population.

Start a referendum for a dictatorship.

Keep us informed.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:13 PM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times
OP, your wish came true 7 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies