Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 09:06 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Why don't conservatives accept the refugees is a better question.
But that's not my question. You can start a new thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 09:06 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
The refugee situation is complicated, and your question is a good one. Not all people with liberal values "want to bring muslim refugees to the states". Some do. Some want to bring some, some want all who wish to come, some want none. As someone who has progressive leanings, I am also often confused when many on the left so vehemently support anything Islam (and even deny that there is a problem with the radical views of a subset of their population), yet at the same time they support feminism. I am one of those progressives who loathes the "Regressive Left", and many of their absurd stances. On the issue of refugees, though, I think many liberals are looking past the issue of the refugees being muslim, and just looking at the fact that they are human beings. I am a humanist, and though I disagree with Islam to the nth degree, I also support equal rights and don't use one's religion as a sole factor refusing their status as a refugee. I don't want hoards of refugees entering the country (no matter their religion), but I think a reasonable and internationally cooperative initiative to place innocent refugees in places throughout the world with proper vetting is reasonable (including the US). What I (and many others) support most, however is foreign policy that doesn't include going to war with the wrong country, destabilizing regions, and using corporate welfare to support sanctioned dictators (like the Saudis) due to oil interest, but I digress....

Hope that answers some of your question, at least from my point of view.
As one who doesn't define myself with current labels but would not identify as humanist nor progressive in the media defined, nor liberal in the poli-sci, definitions...

Kudos on a straight forward answer!

Old 03-20-2016, 09:10 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
I've never really understood how the Republicans weren't able to tap into the conservatism of Muslims in America.

They are very family oriented in the traditional sense, and very industrious and religiously conservative.

Muslims in the US have much more common values wise with conservatives--than they do with Liberals.

On the otherhand, I definitely agree with conservatives in placing a hold on the importation of refugees en mass from certain countries. I don't know if people are familiar with just how Isis was founded, and it was primarily due to an influx of Jihadists from other radicalized Muslim countries; that's something we certainly don't need to import at this time.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:14 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Many liberals support bringing muslim refugees to the states, yet muslims fundamentally hate what liberals stand for. I'm not being facetious here; can someone help me understand, or point out where I err?
No contradiction for true liberals, if the tenets of American liberalism is acceptance of people regardless of their sex, ethnicity, race, creed, religion, or national origin where is the contradiction?

Old 03-20-2016, 09:25 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So you're admitting that radical Islam loves what conservatives stand for?

Yeah...we knew that.
What you know wouldn't fill a thimble. Just because radical Islam hates everything US liberal doesn't mean they love conservatives.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:27 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
No contradiction for true liberals, if the tenets of American liberalism is acceptance of people regardless of their sex, ethnicity, race, creed, religion, or national origin where is the contradiction?
US liberals don't even remotely correspond to the dictionary definition of true liberals. Modern progressive liberals don't accept people regardless of anything, they accept people who think and vote like they do.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:28 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,547 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Many liberals support bringing muslim refugees to the states, yet muslims fundamentally hate what liberals stand for. I'm not being facetious here; can someone help me understand, or point out where I err?
The safety and well being of an individual is more important than whether or not they agree with you politically.

Also, ones personal religious beliefs means nothing in a nation of laws when it comes to public governance.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:35 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,547 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
US liberals don't even remotely correspond to the dictionary definition of true liberals. .
the word "True liberal" appears in no dictionary, so none of this matters. Both of you are just making up definitions.

Quote:
Modern progressive liberals don't accept people regardless of anything, they accept people who think and vote like they do
This however, is not even close to true, and liberal and progressive are separate ideologies.

The bold is far more true of conservatives than it is of Liberals. Conservatism can exist within liberalism, but the same is not true of Liberalism inside of conservatism.

Gay rights alone shows you that. If conservatives had their way, 2 gay men wouldnt even be able to legally live together, let alone, get married , yet Liberalism doesnt forbid religious marriages.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:50 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
the word "True liberal" appears in no dictionary, so none of this matters. Both of you are just making up definitions.

This however, is not even close to true, and liberal and progressive are separate ideologies.

The bold is far more true of conservatives than it is of Liberals. Conservatism can exist within liberalism, but the same is not true of Liberalism inside of conservatism.

Gay rights alone shows you that. If conservatives had their way, 2 gay men wouldnt even be able to legally live together, let alone, get married , yet Liberalism doesnt forbid religious marriages.
No liberal has a polo sci definition. Not adhered to in current terminology. Just as conservative has been hijacked.

Define yourself, limit yourself

Old 03-20-2016, 10:20 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

I beg to differ. I'm a conservative Republican, and I don't care who lives with whom. I'm not alone in my feelings among conservatives. I lean to center (or slightly left) in most social aspects but to the right in fiscal aspects. I'm never happy with all the stands made by either Republican or Democratic parties but believe conservative fiscal policies are too important to go against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies