Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 10:36 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,712,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
i can tell you right up front that it's very difficult to actually determine the top talent and whether they are underpaid. companies and their experts decide whether it's the top talent they need.
You mean a company determining talent for the purposes of hiring? Sure.

But we're not talking about the company. We're talking about the work visa system. And no, the work visa system does not even attempt to determine what is top talent and what is not.

In fact the work visa system actively works against people who are trying to bring in top talent, by randomly accepting applications based on a lottery.

Quote:
they can put someone in a lower paid category and that employee is not underpaid. there are so many ways for companies to do that. how are you going to police that?
Easy. You have the government accept a fixed number of visas, and you start with the highest wage offered and work down. Wages serve as an excellent proxy for a worker's skill level and overall value.

Quote:
so much for the right-wing ideologies, if you mean pro-immigration. that is shared with the left, for which any resistance to immigration is racist.
The right-wing has been pro-outsourcing for the past 30 years.

Now, suddenly, they've had their "come to Jesus" moment, and they've declared that outsourcing was a "liberal" idea all along.

Hey, whatever helps you sleep at night. If you need to consider H-1B a "liberal" program, in order for you to oppose it -- fine. I'm not going to sit here and help you sort out your internal psychological problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 11:17 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,550,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

But we're not talking about the company. We're talking about the work visa system. And no, the work visa system does not even attempt to determine what is top talent and what is not.

In fact the work visa system actively works against people who are trying to bring in top talent, by randomly accepting applications based on a lottery.

Easy. You have the government accept a fixed number of visas, and you start with the highest wage offered and work down. Wages serve as an excellent proxy for a worker's skill level and overall value.

Now, suddenly, they've had their "come to Jesus" moment, and they've declared that outsourcing was a "liberal" idea all along.

Hey, whatever helps you sleep at night. If you need to consider H-1B a "liberal" program, in order for you to oppose it -- fine. I'm not going to sit here and help you sort out your internal psychological problems.
It's the American consumers, aka, we the people, want cheaper and cheaper products and services.

Please provide me an idea that would lower the prices without outsourcing.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It's the American consumers, aka, we the people, want cheaper and cheaper products and services.
The United States legislature created the H-1B visa, not the American consumer.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:20 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,217,003 times
Quote:

no one says h1b is a liberal program. it's a corporate program. both parties support it, and you seem to focus solely on corporate republicans.

look, this system is set up this way. do you seriously think that the democrats will try to curtail immigration? that's impossible. and that's one of the reasons they don't want a more authentic liberal like bernie.

in short, the democratic party today is the republican party with gay marriage and minorities. their economic agendas largely overlap. on issues that hurt the american people the most, the democrats stand firmly with corporate republicans. on issues that divide the working people the most, both parties are playing it but the democrats are on the offensive with friendly demographics leaning their way. i see the democrats as getting the best of both worlds: basically, they get whatever corporations want and they also get votes on an engineered demographic structure.

as a person of color, i may benefit from america's new demographic structure; i may harvest gains for sure. but make no mistake, we people of color aren't idiots like the left-wing like to patronize us to be. whatever i can get, i still look down on these people. no matter how much lip service they give me, i still look down on this system.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
no one says h1b is a liberal program. it's a corporate program. both parties support it, and you seem to focus solely on corporate republicans.
I'm focusing on corporate Republicans because you posted a link from a right-wing newspaper that references a study from a right-wing think tank that says we need more H-1B visas.

So in my view it's rather topical to be discussing Republicans' contribution to this problem.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:33 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,839,210 times
Quote:
I'm focusing on corporate Republicans because you posted a link from a right-wing newspaper that references a study from a right-wing think tank that says we need more H-1B visas.

So in my view it's rather topical to be discussing Republicans' contribution to this problem.
I hate them corporate Democrats... especially New York... where they go on TV and put ads about having corporate welfare and claim to be liberal... liberal BS is what it is... they talk one thing but when it comes down to it, they are no different... and then they go on forums and cry out "corporate Republicans"...

Old 03-21-2016, 11:38 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,550,049 times
Quote:
The United States legislature created the H-1B visa, not the American consumer.
The entire United States legislatures are elected democratically by we, the people.

By the way, H1B is not outsourcing.

It's also stupid to focus on H1B, which is 60,000 a year with maximum of 3 years, while we completely ignore 50-70 million illegals ready to take our jobs and welfare and vote for Democrats.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:52 AM

20,699 posts, read 19,340,722 times
Quote:
When did "minority" automatically equal to legal immigrants? That's racist even to think that way.

By the way, I apply for those grants. After a ton of paperwork and waste of my time, I got zip!!!

So its racist to talk about specific da guberment policy that provides grants to certain races...

Take a hike...

Last edited by gwynedd1; 03-21-2016 at 12:28 PM..

Old 03-21-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Huh, I didn't realize African Americans and Native Americans were immigrant groups.

Nice logical fallacy. "Minority" has an immigrant selection bias.
Quote:

Let's look at this, shall we?

You know they have SBA assisted loans for everyone, as long as they qualify, right?

You also understand that the SBA does not loan money directly to anyone?

Oh look, if you live in a rural area you might also find assistance getting financing..

So I'd be interested in seeing numbers that prove immigrants get these loans in greater numbers than non immigrants. Got those?

Oh you would hmmm? So first you claim there is no bias . Then you through up a bunch of chaff as if other factors nullify the simple identity bias skewing the statistics. If you were a researcher and I was hiring, you wouldn't work for me because you are incompetent. If someone is competent, I'd hire them if they wore a bone in their nose.

That is just one example.

Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Certification

City of Houston Awards More Than $339M in Contracts to Small, Minority, Women and Disadvantaged Houston Businesses

I know an ethinic Russian accountant who invited me as a guest to her company Holiday party in another city just two years ago.. Had a few conversations with a few civil engineers. It was the typical minority company contracted out from the city. Kind of hard to convince me when I am sitting in the middle of it.

The statistics are meaningless when trying to prove immigrants are job creators because there is a large selection bias given than most immigrants these days are so called minorities.

The rest I figure goes to established companies meaning that non minority business will hardly be new.

So the statistic is a complete laugher being none other than the obvious result of actually re-distributive planning.

This isn't a race screed...Its not like the typical non minority city contractors were pure of heart...Its always been corrupt...

However mass immigration doesn't necessarily create jobs or wealth and the stupid statics that ignore the social engineering behind it are a joke. The ones more likely to would be educated legal immigrants. Its not going to be 12 year olds from El Salvador or Syrian refugees.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
The entire United States legislatures are elected democratically by we, the people.

By the way, H1B is not outsourcing.

It's also stupid to focus on H1B, which is 60,000 a year with maximum of 3 years, while we completely ignore 50-70 million illegals ready to take our jobs and welfare and vote for Democrats.
The problem with H1B is the indentured servitude aspects of it. With a little reform I'd have no problem with it at all. Its also a side effect of the real estate problem in the Bay area. A basic wage for an office worker is 150k. So they are looking to find any way they can to reduce costs.

I keep telling everyone land rentiiers are the root of all evil. Nobody listens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies