Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the 1st World let in economic migrants?
Yes! They are global citizens in need! 3 5.56%
Yes, but only if they are filling a labor shortage? 3 5.56%
NO! THe 1st World owes them nothing 42 77.78%
Maybe, if they have local family to put them up 6 11.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 11:20 AM

12 posts, read 12,152 times

Advertisements

I was reading an article about the migrant crisis in Europe and the author of the piece said that the wealthy countries in Europe owed it to the world's poor to open their borders. It was written as a moral responsibility. Europe is rich, these people trying to get in were poor- let them in. It did not matter if they came from a country at war, just escaping poverty was enough of a reason they should be let in. (In other words, if anyone from most of Africa and the Middle East showed up at the border they should be let in because they wanted a better life and they were fellow human beings and global citizens.)

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 11:49 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious folk View Post
I was reading an article about the migrant crisis in Europe and the author of the piece said that the wealthy countries in Europe owed it to the world's poor to open their borders. It was written as a moral responsibility. Europe is rich, these people trying to get in were poor- let them in. It did not matter if they came from a country at war, just escaping poverty was enough of a reason they should be let in. (In other words, if anyone from most of Africa and the Middle East showed up at the border they should be let in because they wanted a better life and they were fellow human beings and global citizens.)

What do you think?

I think that we should eliminate our military if we are going to open our borders. Why fight wars half way around the globe if we have no border? How can we tell the bad ones from the good ones without vetting? How do we encourage immigrants into assimilating into our culture if we have no requirements? What control do we have over the birth rates of foreign nationals? Would there be the possibility that one nation, like China or India, could bring in so many immigrants that they were now in charge and made new laws? I would be curious how the Hispanics would feel if they were clearly the minority compared to the Asians in our Country?

Old 03-21-2016, 11:57 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,349 times
Could you define and elaborate 'moral responsibility'?

I'm pretty poor, and I think it's your moral responsibility to give me half of your money.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:03 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,012 times
I voted "maybe", we should allow some refugees and migrants, but it should be controlled (which it is). Actually, I don't think the status quo is that bad. The big change the US should make is making sure legal immigrants don't overstay their visas and become illegal immigrants. We don't do anything about them, and we have documentation on many of them already, where they live, names, etc. When illegal immigrants are caught they should be deported. But if someone comes, gets in line for legal asylum, yes we should consider it, just put a limit on it (which there is).

Old 03-21-2016, 12:07 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious folk View Post
What do you think?
I don't agree with any of the options you listed.

Choices were basically "Yes because I'm a moron," "No because I'm a moron," and "Maybe, because I'm a moron."

Old 03-21-2016, 12:10 PM

211 posts, read 113,948 times
These countries are treated like lifeboats with infinite limits, but they're not. Some people want open borders and to keep bringing people in until the lifeboats are overloaded and everyone drowns.

We have an obligation to take care of the people already here before we bring in more people, otherwise the problems we have will be compounded and everyone will be worse off.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:20 PM

12 posts, read 12,152 times
Here is a website completed devoted to the idea of a completely open border between countries:

Global Citizenship | Open Borders: The Case

Old 03-21-2016, 12:39 PM

20,715 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Is the poll an example of petitio principii?

Yes.

Of course we cause havoc in the 3rd world and of course allowing .0001 of the to come to the US doesn't help most of them or anyone else.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:49 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,553,456 times
countries are not rich. why not ask multi millionaire Hollywood types, athletes and CEO's to do something before telling average Joe's to foot the bill.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:59 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I don't agree with any of the options you listed.

Choices were basically "Yes because I'm a moron," "No because I'm a moron," and "Maybe, because I'm a moron."
That covers liberal morons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies