Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 07:57 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Yes, that was the 'setting a precedent' I referenced. By there being more to the story, I'm talking about why they suddenly decided not to move forward in court tomorrow. Some posters think it's because they figured they would lose. I don't believe that would stop them.

Maybe they traded an iPhone inquiry for a Hillary prosecution.
Or maybe they think they have the momentum finally to make a law requiring such. In the past it hasn't done very well...

http://venturebeat.com/2016/03/21/se...rity-of-apple/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 08:20 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
MONEY - Apple didn't back down and the NSA always knew they could get into the phones.
DOJ was going to lose the lawsuit and Apple must have told them the "Money spigot to all Democrats is now turned off if you don't back down".

Money talks, and the Washington Elite that run our lives depends on the Big Money, like what Apple give them.

Apple gives peanuts. In 2014, this was what they contributed:

Contributions to candidates: $74,100
Contributions to Leadership PACs: $500
Contributions to parties: $39,375
Contributions to 527 committees: $6,154
Contributions to outside spending groups: $10,450

That's nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Or maybe they think they have the momentum finally to make a law requiring such. In the past it hasn't done very well...

Senate proposal on encryption gives judges authority over Apple | VentureBeat | Mobile | by Reuters
It's possible that the DOJ has been told there are pols who will write and sponsor a bill passing a law forcing the issue. Good thought and one I hadn't considered.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:24 PM

264 posts, read 151,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post

Senate proposal on encryption gives judges authority over Apple | VentureBeat | Mobile | by Reuters
And if they do then they are powerless to stop other countries from doing the same.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon7366 View Post
And if they do then they are powerless to stop other countries from doing the same.
Our current leader has thrown David Cameron under the bus, p*ssing off the U.K. He did the same with Saudi Arabia. He made a dangerous deal with Iran, p*ssing off another ally, Israel. He's not doing anything about the increased numbers of illegals making their way into the country in droves because they fear a new President will put a stop to it. He signed an executive order to stop changes to Obamacare regardless of the fact that it's costing most people and companies more money and making deductibles so high it's ridiculous. And he's all for bringing in immigrants despite the things going on across Europe with Muslims who cannot assimilate, even mocking those who disagreed saying they're afraid of women and children. The FBI has collected every digital communication on every American yet couldn't properly vet the San Bernadino terrorist from Pakistan (A woman, President Obama.) after interviewing her three times.

The powers that be seem hell bent on ruining this country and making it as unsafe as possible, so I think this would be right in their wheelhouse.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:16 AM

Apple had it's big meeting yesterday where they announce new products and instead of it being uplifting and fun and run for two hours, it was one hour and included Tim Cook saying they would not back down. Then later in the day the DOJ made their statement.

I wonder if they figured Cook would roll over and backed off because he didn't.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:54 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,523 times
Quote:
Maybe the NSA got through to them that creating backdoor software is not a good idea ?
Or they just found a backdoor way in themselves. I think that's more likely.

I'm always curious what secret programs and intel allow government agencies to about-face like this. You know it's something but it'll be a long time til we know what happened.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:56 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Apple gives peanuts. In 2014, this was what they contributed:

Contributions to candidates: $74,100
Contributions to Leadership PACs: $500
Contributions to parties: $39,375
Contributions to 527 committees: $6,154
Contributions to outside spending groups: $10,450

That's nothing.

It's possible that the DOJ has been told there are pols who will write and sponsor a bill passing a law forcing the issue. Good thought and one I hadn't considered.
Makes sense, but if the issue is so urgent why wait for Congress to move? Aren't they coming up on a recess soon?

Old 03-22-2016, 01:14 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,915,939 times

The DOJ Googled how to hack into an Iphone.....

Intro: How to Hack an iPhone's Passcode. ...
  1. Tap the "Emergency call" button on the lock screen.
  2. Then, enter "xxxx".
  3. As soon as you enter"xxxx" tap the dial button.
  4. Immediately, press the lock button which is on top of the iPhone.
  5. Ta-daa! you have unlocked the iPhone.

How to Hack an iPhone's Passcode

Old 03-22-2016, 01:17 PM

264 posts, read 151,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Or they just found a backdoor way in themselves. I think that's more likely.

I'm always curious what secret programs and intel allow government agencies to about-face like this. You know it's something but it'll be a long time til we know what happened.
One doesn't "find a backdoor" in software.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:22 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Whatever. I'm glad they backed down. What they wanted would have put us on the road to fascism.
lol...Now that is a deluded comment. If you think that is fascism you need a dictionary. Also, are search warrants for your property fascist too? How about tapping your landline? Being frisked? Cops taking your VIN number to the dealership to get a key for your vehicle? What makes a dumb wireless phone so off limits? The FBI never asked for a backdoor into the iOS like so many regurgitating sheep seem to think. They simply asked APPLE to unlock it and hand it over, that's not a backdoor, that's the equivalent of smashing your door down with a ram to serve a warrant. It's also equivalent to the police taking your VIN number from your vehicle to the dealership to get a key to gain entry if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies