Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for an atheist?
Yes 296 84.33%
No 55 15.67%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 07:57 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,293,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

Trump is a fake Christian(he is agnostic at best).
So, you claim to know what's in Trump's heart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 08:12 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,981,048 times
It's all about what they want to do for the country and whether they have the ability to articulate their positions and how well they can work with people, especially considering how egotistical Senators and Representatives are.

I say that as someone who is a devout Lutheran, almost to the point of being a high-church Lutheran. I'd much prefer my candidate to be a devout Christian, but not many people who run for office are. Many who call themselves Christians don't live their faith well enough. None of us are perfect, and I've made mistakes particularly as a young man once upon a time, but I will say my Christian upbringing has led me to living my life with integrity and honor for the most part. Politicians today in the two ruling parties are dominated by their leadership. And if they don't agree to be dominated like that they can't get anything done for their constituents. Which means they get voted out of office.

So what I'd vote for above everything else is someone I agree with on the issues, who I also believe is honest and will fight and vote for what he or she claims they will while campaigning.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:42 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,201,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It is impossible to know what is in Trump's heart. But at the same time, he does provide us clues.

Over his lifetime, Trump has been all over the map when it comes to social issues. And in his own life, he hasn't exactly adhered to Christian values.

I think it is incredibly difficult to be a billionaire and be a Christian. And I certainly don't believe that his ambitions, and life-goals were shaped by faith.

The faith of Donald Trump | USCatholic.org

Though there are claims that Donald Trump was "born-again" during last year's campaign.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/26/u...ader-says.html

Maybe he did. Maybe I'm wrong.

I wasn't really trying to criticize Trump in particular, I think the majority of presidents were fake Christians. And that goes back to at least Thomas Jefferson, if not George Washington.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:06 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Please tell us the states, and quote the applicable State Statute from each of them.
These statutes are currently unenforceable, but remain on the books.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discri...to_hold_office

Atheists ineligible to hold office[edit]
The constitutions of seven "Bible Belt" U.S. states ban atheists from holding public office. However, these laws are unenforceable due to conflicting with the first amendment and article VI of the constitution:[109][110]

Arkansas:
Article 19, Section 1
"No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court."[111]

Maryland:
Article 37
"That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God; nor shall the Legislature prescribe any other oath of office than the oath prescribed by this Constitution."[112]

Mississippi:
Article 14, Section 265
"No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state."[113]

North Carolina:
Article 6, Section 8
"The following persons shall be disqualified for office: First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God."[114]

South Carolina:
Article 17, Section 4
"No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution."[115]

Tennessee:
Article 9, Section 2
"No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state."[116]

Texas:
Article 1, Section 4
"No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being."[117]

Old 04-02-2017, 11:12 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

I wasn't really trying to criticize Trump in particular, I think the majority of presidents were fake Christians. And that goes back to at least Thomas Jefferson, if not George Washington.
I don't think that Washington and other deists thought of themselves as "fake christians" - they did believe in god, went to church, believed in the NT moral teachings, and ignored the stuff that they thought didn't apply. Washington, for instance, is said to have ducked out on communion while his wife stayed. Nor did they lie about what they believed.

I'd reserve the term "fake christian" for people who go through all the motions and lie.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:28 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,281,807 times
Quote:

Anyone who refers to TWO Corinthians,as Trump did, has no clue about what he is referring to. And since understanding the Bible is pretty essential to ALL of Christianity, not even understanding that II Corinthians is Second Corinthians, as in the second letter to the Corinthian church, is a fair indication that his religion is fake and something he was coached into for political purposes.

Even the liturgical churches that dont emphasize personal reading of the Bible read passages from the NT every service, and so anyone with any experience in Christianity would have heard the term Second Corinthians.

BTW, voted yes in the poll.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:33 AM

624 posts, read 370,457 times
I have met Athesist who are much nicer than churchgoers

Old 04-02-2017, 11:37 AM

171 posts, read 218,878 times
I would, but I really doubt he/she would win.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:39 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,551,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Yes? No? What if you agreed with their policies, but they were an open atheist? Genuinely curious about what those in this particular sub-forum think.
There is just no way that, someone who would declare themselves to be an atheist, could ever believe in the
same things that I believe in.

But, I would add your whole poll is screwed up and is going to give you meaningless results.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:44 AM

1,640 posts, read 793,905 times
Quote:
You can clearly see what's in a person's heart by their actions and the life they have lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies