Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2016, 12:11 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
When you don't have to pay the same income tax as another person who earned the same amount of income because you have engaged in an activity desired by the government then you have received a subsidy, by definition.
What about when you have to pay a MUCH higher effective tax rate than others? That means you aren't subsidized at all but in fact, you are subsidizing others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 01:15 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It doesn't have to be. Could be spokes leading into a loop. The "L" in Chicago is famous for its Loop configuration, hitting various locations with significant housing and jobs densities and connecting them all with a mass transit solution.
There is no logical loop. For example I work in San Francisco. People come from San Jose, Oakland, Dublin, Walnut Creek, Mountain View and Petaluma. That represents up to 50 miles south, 30 miles east and 40 miles north.

People who work at Apple live in pretty much all of the places listed above as well which is up to 50 miles in any of those directions. There is no way to remotely design efficient transit with sufficient ridership to justify that.

Our "loop" would need to be at least 60 miles north south and 45 miles east west.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:45 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
here's why

"Some of the small two-bedroom, one-bath homes on her block are worth between $1.5 and $2 million – as teardowns. That’s just what the dirt is worth.

“Prices have just gone through the roof, making it unaffordable for middle-class people, your firefighters, your teachers, and, frankly, some of your doctors,” Palo Alto Vice Mayor Greg Scharff said."
And the price will stay high when there are subsidies.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:10 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Which means the taxes DO ultimately get paid, even if that means that 8% interest has to be charged and the property sold to pay the back taxes plus interest upon the owner's death.

You obviously can't read. In the scenario I outlined in that post, they DON'T get paid back.

Quote:
How often is the balance owed less than the property's value?
It doesn't matter how often. It does happen. I posted because you stated that this NEVER happens. You shouldn't make a blanket statement unless you know are right. And you are not right, YOU ARE WRONG, as I illustrated with the example above.

However, I'm not surprised that you won't admit being wrong. You have repeatedly proven to be glaringly wrong on other threads...where posters prove you stone cold wrong with, among other things, links to what the current law is....and you just keep blathering on ignoring the proof.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:22 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Yes. It could be done. You're just making lame excuses now.
Just as in a fair number of other threads you post in, rather than having a differing opinion within the same universe/discussion, you are in your own alternate universe with your own set of magical assumptions. Comparing doing the same in the SF Bay Area as has been done in Chicago is laughable .

Old 03-28-2016, 04:06 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
If you can't afford to live in the Bay Area, then don't live there.

Problem solved.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:19 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
You obviously can't read. In the scenario I outlined in that post, they DON'T get paid back.

It doesn't matter how often. It does happen.
How often? Let's see the actual stats.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:38 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
If you can't afford to live in the Bay Area, then don't live there.

Problem solved.
When your housing costs are 65% of your take home pay you can't afford to move either.

I mostly grew up in the the Bay Area. It is home for me. It is pretty sad that even with a relatively well paying job I can't afford a 2 bedroom condo. If my household income doubled I wouldn't be able to afford an average home in my neighborhood, which average 900k. Renting an apartment near my office would cost 4x what I pay in rent now. Sharing an apartment would cost 2.5x near my office.

So where does this leave all of the service workers that keep the economy hummin along? Sharing 1 bedroom apartments with 4 people?

Old 03-28-2016, 09:51 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
When your housing costs are 65% of your take home pay you can't afford to move either.

I mostly grew up in the the Bay Area. It is home for me. It is pretty sad that even with a relatively well paying job I can't afford a 2 bedroom condo. If my household income doubled I wouldn't be able to afford an average home in my neighborhood, which average 900k. Renting an apartment near my office would cost 4x what I pay in rent now. Sharing an apartment would cost 2.5x near my office.

So where does this leave all of the service workers that keep the economy hummin along? Sharing 1 bedroom apartments with 4 people?
I've moved half way across the country multiple times with nothing more than would fit in my old car... Just enough money for gas and a deposit on a 'new' place. You can move if you're willing to do it.

Last edited by turkey-head; 03-28-2016 at 11:13 AM..

Old 03-28-2016, 09:55 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
But to be fair, subsidies for the middle class are nothing new. My household income is in the six figures, and I get multiple direct and indirect subsidies just for being a homeowner.

So for all you taxpayers...

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies