Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 12:05 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Am I supposed to care about this?
If you are a shareholder then no, instead celebrate as your holdings increase. One has to wonder though with all the jobs going to Mexico why are there still all those illegals coming over here to work and take away those jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 12:11 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Am I supposed to care about this?
If you support nationless corporations/banks and their trans-national majority owners subverting our Government and furthering their goal of global economic hegemony and a race to the bottom for American workers-sending the majority of our population into desperate destitution-no I guess you shouldn't care.

I would question your loyalty to this country though, and hope you move to wherever you are loyal to.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:15 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
So we are trusting the Mexican FDA before we put stuff in our mouth?
Not really, you are trusting that company doesn't want to destroy their brand and get the crap sued out of themselves.

I have way more faith in that than any government agency.

Note: These comments don't apply for smaller operators and of course places making knock-offs which is a whole other can of worms.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:17 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
It's all about corporate greed. The CEO of Nabisco is making $21 million per year and the revenue from last year was $30 billion, they don't need more money.

What about the $90 million in tax incentives given to them for remaining in Chicago? Will they owe that money back for leaving?

My heart goes out to all Americans who are losing their jobs due to offshoring.
You don't seem to realize that the CEO doesn't own the company.

Also, you can complain about corporate greed all you like and I'll point you to all the US manufacturers that went bankrupt because their product cost 10% more and the US consumer (you, me, our neighbors) bought the foreign made product.

You'll never hear a politician blame the US consumer (aka voter) even when they're just as much at fault as any corporation.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:18 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
So we are trusting the Mexican FDA before we put stuff in our mouth?
Toothpaste is a drug and/or a cosmetic depending on the ingredients. The ingredients are listed on the tube.

You trust the brand when it says the stuff was made in compliance with US and/or Canadian dental hygiene regulations regardless if it's made in Wisconsin or Mexico.

The brand owns the facilities, employs the people who make the stuff and the internal controls associated with the process. It is not in their or their shareholders' best interests to muck it up.

The language on my tube of Colgate encourages me to seek medical treatment if swallowed.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:20 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
If you support nationless corporations/banks and their trans-national majority owners subverting our Government and furthering their goal of global economic hegemony and a race to the bottom for American workers-sending the majority of our population into desperate destitution-no I guess you shouldn't care.

I would question your loyalty to this country though, and hope you move to wherever you are loyal to.
What does loyalty have to do with it? Corporations move production overseas all the time. Surely you must know this is nothing new. You do know that, right? Yet, have you been making a stink about it for decades? Probably not. So, where does your loyalty lay, right?

Old 03-24-2016, 12:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
It's all about corporate greed. The CEO of Nabisco is making $21 million per year and the revenue from last year was $30 billion, they don't need more money.

What about the $90 million in tax incentives given to them for remaining in Chicago? Will they owe that money back for leaving?

My heart goes out to all Americans who are losing their jobs due to offshoring.
Without investment of outside capital, the growth of most any business is very limited.

Corporate CEOs have one primary job function- increase shareholder value.

Who is going to invest their money in a company that provides no return on their investment?

Old 03-24-2016, 12:31 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
What does loyalty have to do with it? Corporations move production overseas all the time. Surely you must know this is nothing new. You do know that, right? Yet, have you been making a stink about it for decades? Probably not. So, where does your loyalty lay, right?
It was around 1974, when Corporations completely ceased considering the equitable interests of employees, customers, shareholders and the public at large-as had been the case since the end of World War II- and began only considering the interests of shareholders-which transcend national borders. This is why of the 100 largest economies in the World today there are more nationless/detached corporations and banks-accountable to nobody but their majority investors, than whole nations of people whom are seeing their Governments subverted by these entities with more power-the real NWO.

Our Government and Central Bank have been hi-jacked by these corporations and the trans-national people that have majority ownership of them-which is why so many disastrous trade deals were passed over the years-gutting unions and our manufacturing base and putting Americans in direct competition with near-slave labor across the globe. It has only gotten worse and worse as our political system has legalized bribery. If Americans had accurate/fair representation in our Government/Central Bank protections could have been put in place for American workers and our manufacturing base-as is the case in Germany which has the second largest trade surplus in the World after China, and occasionally surpassing it.

Today, the US has the largest trade deficit in the World, and the highest rate of childhood poverty and income inequality of any major industrialized nation. The poverty rate in 1973 bottomed out in the United States at 11%-it has never been that low since. Wages too have flat lined at that time even when productivity has surged, while costs in education, healthcare and housing have exploded.

The true destruction of our economy has been concealed since the 1970's-via the explosion of credit cards, two working parent households, mass incarceration and various bubbles growing the stock market instead of GDP growth/outlook as was the case from WWII-to the mid-1970's.

It is truly amazing that The US is/was the wealthiest country in the history of the World-and still has the largest consumer group on the planet-but we have allowed our treasonous politicians to dismantle our Middle Class due to minute differences/distractions among the two political parties-that agree on everything that actually matters.

Truly sad-and most STILL don't get it. The end game is a global system of economic hegemony-dismantling national borders and destroying US sovereignty.

The 40-Year Slump Yes, I have been "making a stink about it" for many years, but I was only born in 1986.

The first election I was eligible to vote in was a vote against GW Bush. I supported Obama in 2008 due to his campaign rhetoric but stopped supporting him in 2009 when I realized he was no different than any other Political Puppet with corporate owners. I voted third party in 2012 and if Bernie is not the nominee will do the same this year.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:34 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times
In response to Middleagedmom:

To say that boycotting Nabisco is going to make them close what left they have of factories over here is a lie. Typical though. Nabisco is probably going to close em all anyway. Companies LOVE that cheap labor...love, love, love it with no afterthought.

It's the same thing when the GM workers were ostracized for "making too much money". The big story was the company "just couldn't afford those high wages". What a crock. To hear people actually say the workers were asking for "too much" is the end result of the brainwash.

Shifting the "blame" to what is happening in our country to the general population is ridiculous.

It's all a big brain wash and sorry, but I don't buy into the idea the US should lower our standards and accept wages similar to Mexico or China so we can compete.

Also, saying the companies should pay the money back they got for "incentives" isn't a sound bite. We're talkin millions.

Lastly...

Boycotts can and do work:

http://www.chavezfoundation.org/_pag...01016000000000..

http://www.pbs.org/now/society/boycott.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_boycotts

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 03-24-2016 at 10:56 PM..

Old 03-24-2016, 11:28 PM

72 posts, read 38,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You don't seem to realize that the CEO doesn't own the company.

Also, you can complain about corporate greed all you like and I'll point you to all the US manufacturers that went bankrupt because their product cost 10% more and the US consumer (you, me, our neighbors) bought the foreign made product.

You'll never hear a politician blame the US consumer (aka voter) even when they're just as much at fault as any corporation.

This.
While it was worth the price we paid for US-made in the past because of quality assurance by employees who had pride and decent salary, and ingredients also being superior, it was consumer demand that killed everything here. Now all of a sudden, people care? Only because their choices are hitting home, as they and/or too many around them have lost their jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies