Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 04:14 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
If Christians cleared their minds, where would they store their bigotry, intolerance, hipocracy, sluut shaming, and pro-birth lectures?

(If this offended you, maybe think about revisiting your "PC madness" stance, especially regarding liberals, if you have one )
Your ignorance is breathtaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 04:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
If Christians cleared their minds, where would they store their bigotry, intolerance, hipocracy, sluut shaming, and pro-birth lectures?

(If this offended you, maybe think about revisiting your "PC madness" stance, especially regarding liberals, if you have one )
some would store those things in the same place liberals store them. liberals and progressives are just as, if not more than, intolerant of others as some hard core religious types.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:24 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Seems to me to be a good compromise worked out by the school. I also didn't see anyone complaining about exercise being offensive so I have no idea where that came from.
Yoga in mainstream America is done for exercise/health/relaxation...it has nothing to do with religion, especially in this school context. Stop pretending that god/gods are being promoted in this elementary school.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Perhaps you don't understand that Yoga isn't "exercise." It is rooted in transcendental meditation and has it's origins in India. It is about an altered state of mind (deep meditation). It involves "emptying the mind." This is not something that Christians should be doing. We are not supposed to "empty our minds" but rather are to be "filled" with the Holy Spirit.

Christians have good reason to be annoyed and object. This is a form of paganism. The public schools have no business teaching this.
Stop lying to yourself....in America today it is done for health. People do it for exercise. It is done at gyms in classes. I am well aware of the origins of yoga, and that some people today still find a spiritual component to it. Certainly not in this situation though. How dare you clear your mind and relax in a state of well being. THE DEVIL!!!

Old 03-25-2016, 04:27 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,966 times
Quote:
Huh??? Christians are not supposed to think? Where do you get that from? Obviously not from the Bible, which you apparently aren't familiar with.

Dancing is not forbidden either. We had some Messianic Jews in our Church in San Diego, and they used to teach the kids Jewish dances. They loved it.

Some of you people have some really strange notions of Christianity.

And some people are sarcasm-impaired.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:40 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,780 times
Quote:
Perhaps you don't understand that Yoga isn't "exercise." It is rooted in transcendental meditation and has it's origins in India. It is about an altered state of mind (deep meditation). It involves "emptying the mind." This is not something that Christians should be doing. We are not supposed to "empty our minds" but rather are to be "filled" with the Holy Spirit.

Christians have good reason to be annoyed and object. This is a form of paganism. The public schools have no business teaching this.
Yoga isn't exercise? Haha... Okie dokie artichokie. I dare you to try just one of the positions. No. I double dog dare you.

Quote:
Apart from the spiritual goals, the physical postures of yoga are used to alleviate health problems, reduce stress and make the spine supple in contemporary times. Yoga is also used as a complete exercise program and physical therapy routine.[63]
While the practice of yoga continues to rise in contemporary American culture, sufficient and adequate knowledge of the practice’s origins does not. According to Andrea R. Jain, Yoga is undoubtedly a Hindu movement for spiritual meditation, yet is now being marketed as a supplement to a cardio routine. This scope "dilutes its Hindu identity." Contemporaries of the Hindu faith argue that the more popular yoga gets, the less concerned people become about its origins in history. These same contemporaries do state that while anyone can practice yoga, only those who give Hinduism due credit for the practice will achieve the full benefit of the custom.[64]
In 2015 the Australian Government's Department of Health published the results of a review of alternative therapies that sought to determine if any were suitable for being covered by health insurance; Yoga was one of 17 practices evaluated for which no clear evidence of effectiveness was found.[65]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoga#M...th_application

Celebrate Easter? It has pagan origins too!!

The name “Easter” has its roots in ancient polytheistic religions (paganism). On this, all scholars agree. This name is never used in the original Scriptures, nor is it ever associated biblically with the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

http://christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-t020.html

Old 03-25-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Yoga isn't exercise? Haha... Okie dokie artichokie. I dare you to try just one of the positions. No. I double dog dare you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoga#M...th_application

Celebrate Easter? It has pagan origins too!!

The name “Easter” has its roots in ancient polytheistic religions (paganism). On this, all scholars agree. This name is never used in the original Scriptures, nor is it ever associated biblically with the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

http://christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-t020.html
Exactly. It's hilarious how oblivious Christians are to the Pagan origin of so many of their holidays.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:01 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...a-because.html

Thread started yesterday on this issue.
Yoga is exercise that is just different from what many in society consider *normal* exercise.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:18 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,234,036 times
Quote:
I know you were being facetious, but Jumping Jacks are real exercise. Yoga is not.
I know... I was just havin' a little fun!

Old 03-25-2016, 05:24 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Yoga in mainstream America is done for exercise/health/relaxation...it has nothing to do with religion, especially in this school context. Stop pretending that god/gods are being promoted in this elementary school.

I'm not pretending anything......The school was asked to remove the religious aspects from a school function and they decided that was a good idea. The kids still do the yoga.

What is the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies