Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 02:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Did you read the previous post and check the links? These organizations do little for animal welfare. They USE animals and the public for their ends. Once again, it's about control of people's lives and and money.
Hubby and I are huge animal lovers and supporters of protecting animals. And yes, you are right. If I were to donate to either of the major groups it would to ASPCA, they are not as radical or filled with as many nut jobs as PETA, but rather than give to any of them, we continue to support our local shelter, including getting our last "pain in the ass" dog from them about a year ago. We love her with our whole heart.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:44 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
If your primary interest is dogs then the ASPCA would be the organization for you. Most of the pounds and animal control, at least where I've been, are run by the ASPCA. They have useful programs like adoption, free or low cost spaying and neutering, pet medical insurance, etc. They don't have a perfect track record either but they aren't nuts like PETA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
ASPCA actually takes care of animals. We got our dog from the shelter there.

PETA are an animal rights group (Such as relating chickens to the holocaust, calling it "Holocaust on your plate", because obviously chickens are equal to humans) which is just flat out crazy. Go to youtube and watch Penn and Teller's Bull****! episode on PETA.

Depends. If I was stuck with people and there was no food and someone died, i'd eat them if it meant there was a chance of my surviving. I'd expect the same from anyone I got stranded with (as in them eating me), since it's the last thing I would be able to do to help them.
I just want to clear this up. ASPCA is a national organization that is not affiliated with local shelters calling themselves SPCA. Similarly, the Humane Society of the United States is a national organization not connected in any way to local shelters that call themselves the (insert name of town) Humane Society. Shelters do not get funding from these organizations, although they do have some grants that shelters can apply for. They do work on getting legislation passed. ASPCA offers educational material and webinars to shelters so that they can improve themselves. They do rescues of mill dogs and fighting dogs, but hand the dogs over to local organizations (while publicizing their own involvement and not talking up the shelters' involvement much).
It's a big misconception that your local SPCA or Humane Society is run by and funded by these organizations. If you want to donate to shelter dogs' actual care, local is the way to go.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:31 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I just want to clear this up. ASPCA is a national organization that is not affiliated with local shelters calling themselves SPCA. Similarly, the Humane Society of the United States is a national organization not connected in any way to local shelters that call themselves the (insert name of town) Humane Society. Shelters do not get funding from these organizations, although they do have some grants that shelters can apply for. They do work on getting legislation passed. ASPCA offers educational material and webinars to shelters so that they can improve themselves. They do rescues of mill dogs and fighting dogs, but hand the dogs over to local organizations (while publicizing their own involvement and not talking up the shelters' involvement much).
It's a big misconception that your local SPCA or Humane Society is run by and funded by these organizations. If you want to donate to shelter dogs' actual care, local is the way to go.
Very sell said. Clear and easily understood. Thank you.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:26 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Unless you want your money to finance well-heeled management, do NOT give to organizations masquerading under the guise of 'charity'.

Give your money to a local rescue group or a no-kill shelter. Better yet, allow a set amount of money each month to buy food for a local shelter. Or offer to pay for neutering or vet bills. That way you know exactly where your money is going.

There was a time, long ago, when PETA was a good bunch. At that time, their primary goal was not allowing animals to be tortured under the label of research. Animals, from rabbits to puppies, were having their eyes burned out, the skin shredded off, etc, just to test consumer products like hair spray and dish washing liquid.

Then somewhere along the line, they lost their collective minds. I don't know exactly when that happened. A good 25 or so years ago. They've been bat-s**t crazy for a long time now.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:31 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Unless you want your money to finance well-heeled management, do NOT give to organizations masquerading under the guise of 'charity'.

Give your money to a local rescue group or a no-kill shelter.

There was a time, long ago, when PETA was a good bunch. At that time, their primary goal was not allowing animals to be tortured under the label of research. Animals, from rabbits to puppies, were having their eyes burned out, the skin shredded off, etc, just to test consumer products like hair spray and dish washing liquid.

Then somewhere along the line, they lost their collective minds. I don't know exactly when that happened. A good 25 or so years ago. They've been bat-s**t crazy for a long time now.
They're still doing that. I know a PETA gentleman who has 6 rescued bunnies without eyes. He runs an operation where they try to get these animals rescued and adopted out. Unfortunately, few people want a pet with no eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies