Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 09:14 PM

13,570 posts, read 10,276,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
What is a "non" Latino?

Why I ask is there was a nasty white supremacist 50 years ago named Leander Perez who hated Black people and was real tight with Bull Connor in the old Jim Crow South. Perez was of Spanish family so under US gov't rules he'd be tagged as Hispanic/Latino in 2016.

OTOH: what about the former prez of Peru; Alberto Fujimori? He's of 100 percent Japanese family but would also be "Hispanic" under US rules tho with NO Spanish blood.

You never fail to demonstrate a lack of knowledge on this matter.

Latinos or Hispanics can be of any race or combinations of races - and that's just a legacy of immigration, intermarriage. There's no rule that they have to be of a certain skin coloration or pigmentation. Yep, there are a lot of Peruvians who have Chinese or Japanese heritage - and you can see that in their food.

It's really a matter of self-identity - if they're identify with being Latino or Hispanic or whatever group, accept it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 10:02 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,824,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
You never fail to demonstrate a lack of knowledge on this matter.

Latinos or Hispanics can be of any race or combinations of races - and that's just a legacy of immigration, intermarriage. There's no rule that they have to be of a certain skin coloration or pigmentation. Yep, there are a lot of Peruvians who have Chinese or Japanese heritage - and you can see that in their food.

It's really a matter of self-identity - if they're identify with being Latino or Hispanic or whatever group, accept it!
Try again please. Many of at least the "la raza" kind HATE it when someone who CAN claim "Hispanic" refuses to ID that way and, claims "anglo white". Then YOU need to tell those "ex Hispanics" they can't leave that "label". lol

Old 03-28-2016, 10:41 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,480,292 times
^ he said it's a matter of self-identity so there is no problem with people becoming ex-hispanics and "la raza" people have no authority on hispanic identity.

there is no need to be confused, just follow what the u.s. census bureau says

Old 03-28-2016, 10:56 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,824,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
^ he said it's a matter of self-identity so there is no problem with people becoming ex-hispanics and "la raza" people have no authority on hispanic identity.

there is no need to be confused, just follow what the u.s. census bureau says
lol Tho I catch what you mean.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:16 PM

199 posts, read 175,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Latinos are extremely racist. But most of them come from Spanish and Portugues colonies where they have learned some of the most messed up racial hiearchies known to man. At least you can say in America that British interest in slavery was mostly financial. But I feel that Spain and Portugal had a deep seated and bitter hatred towards anyone with dark skin. And with the mentalities in Latin America it shows that there is a vicious contempt for people with dark skin.
How do you figure that Brits did it ONLY for financial reasons? If that's the case, why wouldn't you say that Spanish/Portuguese also had slavery for financial reasons? In Mexico's history, there was in fact intermarriage between Creole Spanish and natives, mainly due to a shortage of Creole Spanish women in the New World. That was not the case with the British colonies. The only white-black unions in the Brit colonies lasted only about 60 years between freed blacks and freed white indentured servants. The powers that be passed miscegenation laws to prevent the formation of a mixed class of people and enslave the black race.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:20 PM

35,347 posts, read 20,714,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Latinos are extremely racist. But most of them come from Spanish and Portugues colonies where they have learned some of the most messed up racial hiearchies known to man. At least you can say in America that British interest in slavery was mostly financial. But I feel that Spain and Portugal had a deep seated and bitter hatred towards anyone with dark skin. And with the mentalities in Latin America it shows that there is a vicious contempt for people with dark skin.

all depends--Latinos are diverse-- from African to Indian to European ancestors - be surprised of the mix -- little bit of everything- only ignorant Latins have a problem with race

Old 03-29-2016, 04:27 PM

14,295 posts, read 9,632,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Pretty much. My great grand father would be considered Metizo from Arizona when it was a Territory, should I call myself Latino? The woman I'm dating's grandmother is Mexican American, and she doesnt identify as latina or Hispanic either. Kind of useless unless you have a political agenda.
Exactly.

Just treat people, as people, according to who they are, not according to their appearance. MLK Jr. said it best, judge a person by the content of their character.

I mean, why would I even think to put people into groups, when I view everyone as the same? It's the bigots who feel the need to split everyone off into specific groups. And since that is all libs want to do, I see them as bigots as well.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:29 PM

13,570 posts, read 10,276,538 times
Quote:
Try again please. Many of at least the "la raza" kind HATE it when someone who CAN claim "Hispanic" refuses to ID that way and, claims "anglo white". Then YOU need to tell those "ex Hispanics" they can't leave that "label". lol
Ethnic identity is really an issue within that community. So to you - it's none of your business.

What exactly is "the la raza kind", except a Latino whose views you oppose and dislike? You're never used this term except in derision.

And there are regional differences between who uses the term Hispanic or Latino.

Latino is more commonly used in California. Hispanic is a term that's used more often in Florida and New York. Some folks object to being referred to as Hispanic. Some don't like the term Latino.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:48 PM

7,572 posts, read 5,284,514 times
Quote:
Uh; since "Latino/Hispanic" ain't a race, it CAN throw many people off, especially if that Latino doesn't speak Spanish.

In 2016 Leander Perez would've tagged as "Latino" even tho he was a Bull Connor level white supremacist 50 years ago in the Jim Crow South. Perez was of Spanish family.
I'm from Louisiana, I know all about Leander Perez. You no nothing about Louisiana and racial self-identification. By your definition of latin you exclude the latin European countries of Italy, France, Moldova, Portugal, Romania, Monaco, San Marino, Andorra and the Vatican City. By your thinking latino would indeed be meaningless. But the accepted definition of Latino is to encompass the various racial and ethic groups of Latin America and there descendants.

So, like the term African American that "white" folks like to incessantly argue about it really doesn't matter what you think, which actually is the point, such terms of self-identification by people tired of having others attempt to define who and what they are.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:50 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,586,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Ethnic identity is really an issue within that community. So to you - it's none of your business.

What exactly is "the la raza kind", except a Latino whose views you oppose and dislike? You're never used this term except in derision.

And there are regional differences between who uses the term Hispanic or Latino.

Latino is more commonly used in California. Hispanic is a term that's used more often in Florida and New York. Some folks object to being referred to as Hispanic. Some don't like the term Latino.
I know plenty of Spaniards, Chileans, Uruguayans, Argentinians and Brazilians who are blond haired, blue eyed, much whiter than me and would take plenty of offense being called a Hispanic or Latino. Their last names are "Huberman", "Fox", "Washington"... They are not from the same race as someone with descendants from the Yucatan peninsula. They identify as white and never heard the term Latino or Hispanic used outside the US. How does that fit in your "La Raza" agenda?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies