Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2016, 03:32 PM

46,947 posts, read 25,984,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Just show the movie and let people decide.
That's not really how this "science" thing works.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:11 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I just want to say that I love reading these vaccine threads. They are both informative and entertaining!
It wasn't suppose to be a vaccine thread to start with. Unfortunately that is what it turned into.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:50 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It wasn't suppose to be a vaccine thread to start with. Unfortunately that is what it turned into.
Impossible but some of us tried debating other issues relating to the release of the film, but the "health professionals" always come on and try to shut down any conversation that has an anti vaccination theme (as Miss Terri said) and tie it into the science of vaccinations. The ONLY issue is the SCIENCE? No it's not just this given the fact that the film is now being released in another venue, which is the choice and right of that particular media outlet. I've heard it all before, hasn't changed my mind, and what is the point of them trying to do so? They do not like our opinions and think they can change it? Not happening, especially in a Senior, older than both Jenny McCarthy AND Dr. Wakefield WHO? Maybe they don;t like that some of us don't fit into their nice neat little preconceived notion of "anti vaxxers". Grandparents cannot possibly be against the SCIENCE of vaccinations????? Go check the Medicare vaccination rates on that. lol

Old 03-30-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
...older than both Jenny McCarthy AND Dr. Wakefield WHO?
Mister Wakefield.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Impossible but some of us tried debating other issues relating to the release of the film, but the "health professionals" always come on and try to shut down any conversation that has an anti vaccination theme (as Miss Terri said) and tie it into the science of vaccinations. The ONLY issue is the SCIENCE? No it's not just this given the fact that the film is now being released in another venue, which is the choice and right of that particular media outlet. I've heard it all before, hasn't changed my mind, and what is the point of them trying to do so? They do not like our opinions and think they can change it? Not happening, especially in a Senior, older than both Jenny McCarthy AND Dr. Wakefield WHO?
The only issue to me is whether we will allow controversial topics to be shown once the media starts throwing rocks.

I care less about the science here.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
No it's not just this given the fact that the film is now being released in another venue, which is the choice and right of that particular media outlet.
It turns out that media outlets having the right to decide what movies to screen is a Good Thing.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:01 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Tough, Suzy. Who am I going to kill if I don't get a Tetanus or Shingles shot? Flu shot? When they don't work, and half the country doesn't get them? Maybe you better not just mandate "health professionals" on that one. Or maybe you think 95% (Herd Immunity) of America gets their Flu shots? If a pregnant woman is refusing her Tdap, she and her husband aren't vaccination before or the birth, it's up to the GRANDPARENTS, Aunts, Uncles, Baybsitters? Only fanatics would even ASK their relatives. Who spends more time with the babies than their mothers and fathers. Of course, EVERYONE needs that Tdap!!!!

Do you also think private citizens should pull others out of burning buildings or jump in the river to save a drowning person at the risk of their own lives?????? Our duty in life is to save others?

Sorry, no. Legislate it like you do with children. Good luck. Your numbers aren't meeting the corrupt CDC goals of 90% total vaccinations. Frustrating?

Ok, now this thread can be shut down. BTW, how about Do Not Touch Me as a an anti science view. Ditto for the rest of Preventive Medicine too.
Tetanus is not spread from person to person. Feel free not to take that one if you wish. There are only about fifty cases of tetanus a year in the US, virtually all in people who were never vaccinated or who did not get a booster every ten years. Ten to twenty percent of people who get it die, even with modern health care, and being over age 60 increases the risk of death.

Most infants who get whooping cough catch it from their mothers. There were 32,971 reported cases of whooping cough in the US in 2014 with 13 deaths, 8 of which were infants under 3 months, 1 between 3 and 11 months, and 2 aged 1 to 4 years. There were two in adults over age 55. So the majority of the deaths are infants and toddlers. Had the mothers of those infants under age 3 months taken the vaccine, their babies probably would not have gotten sick, and if they did the illness would have been less severe.

The risk of dying from the Tdap vaccine is virtually zero and extremely less than the risk of severe illness or death from the vaccine. In my opinion, refusing to vaccinate yourself if you are pregnant or going to be around an infant is totally irresponsible.

For flu the number needed to vaccinate to achieve herd immunity is about 80 to 90%. It depends on how infectious a disease is and how effective the vaccine is.

The vaccination coverage required to establish herd immunity against influenza viruses. - PubMed - NCBI

"The objectives of vaccination coverage proposed in the United States - 80% in healthy persons and 90% in high-risk persons - are sufficient to establish herd immunity, while those proposed in Europe - only 75% in elderly and high-risk persons - are not sufficient."

Unfortunately, due to ignorance and unwarranted fear of flu vaccine we do not reach those goals. For those of us who do care about reducing the risk of getting flu, yes it is frustrating. It is also mind boggling that any parent or grandparent would not take the Tdap or flu vaccine to protect a baby who is too young to be vaccinated.

Quote:
Of course it is a vaccine thread. The movie under discussion is about vaccines.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:04 PM

The article is about a controversial movie getting the boot after being approved and defended by de Niro because the media had a hissy fit.

Whether the movie is right or wrong the result should have been the same. It should have been shown.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:13 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Impossible but some of us tried debating other issues relating to the release of the film, but the "health professionals" always come on and try to shut down any conversation that has an anti vaccination theme (as Miss Terri said) and tie it into the science of vaccinations. The ONLY issue is the SCIENCE? No it's not just this given the fact that the film is now being released in another venue, which is the choice and right of that particular media outlet. I've heard it all before, hasn't changed my mind, and what is the point of them trying to do so? They do not like our opinions and think they can change it? Not happening, especially in a Senior, older than both Jenny McCarthy AND Dr. Wakefield WHO? Maybe they don;t like that some of us don't fit into their nice neat little preconceived notion of "anti vaxxers". Grandparents cannot possibly be against the SCIENCE of vaccinations????? Go check the Medicare vaccination rates on that. lol
Do you believe that vaccines are dangerous and/or can cause autism?

Old 03-30-2016, 06:14 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
The article is about a controversial movie getting the boot after being approved and defended by de Niro because the media had a hissy fit.

Whether the movie is right or wrong the result should have been the same. It should have been shown.
No, we do not need to promote pseudoscientific gobbledygook. Science does not have "sides" that deserve equal time. The safety and effectiveness of vaccines is established, with severe adverse effects of vaccines being extremely rare.

In addition, Wakefield and his cronies lie in the film. Wakefield lied when he wrote his fraudulent study and he is still a liar.

Anyone who promotes this film is supporting Wakefield's lies and will be complicit in the damage he causes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies