Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 02:03 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Where are you getting your numbers from? Could that be because we've also wiped out our natural immune response? When I was a kid I didn't know anyone who hadn't had chicken pox and measles. I never heard of anyone having complications from it.... NONE!
The "natural immune response" to chickenpox and measles is to make you sick, sometimes leaving you handicapped or killing you. The "natural immune response" to the vaccine is to make you immune without making you sick, and the risk of a serious reaction to the vaccines is many times lower than the risk of a serious complication from the "natural" diseases.

Measles:

Measles Elimination in the United States

"From 1956 to 1960, an average of 450 measles-related deaths were reported each year (∼1 death/ 1000 reported cases), compared with an average of 5300 measles-related deaths during 1912–1916 (26 deaths/ 1000 reported cases) [2]. Nevertheless, in the late 1950s, serious complications due to measles remained frequent and costly. As a result of measles virus infections, an average of 150,000 patients had respiratory complications and 4000 patients had encephalitis each year; the latter was associated with a high risk of neurological sequelae and death. These complications and others resulted in an estimated 48,000 persons with measles being hospitalized every year [3]."

Here's what happened to measles after the vaccine was introduced:

Measles Elimination in the United States

Measles was declared eliminated in the US in 2000. Cases here now are imported from other countries where the virus still circulates in the population. Declining vaccination rates create the probablility that we will have larger outbreaks here, though, like the one that started at the Disney park last year. There was a death from measles in the US last year, an immunocompromised woman who died in Washington State.

First Measles Death in US Since 2003 Highlights the Unknown Vulnerables – Phenomena: Germination

Also last year, a 14 year old boy died in Oregon from complications of measles he contracted when he was a year old.

Chickenpox:

Chickenpox | Monitoring Vaccine Impact | Varicella | CDC

"National hospitalization rates for varicella declined overall by 71% during 2000 to 2006 compared with rates from 1988 to 1995. In people younger than 20 years of age, hospitalization rates declined by approximately 95%.
Varicella deaths declined by 98.5% in children and adolescents less than 20 years of age during 2008 to 2009 compared with 1990 to 1994. Deaths declined by 96% in adults less than 50 years of age and by 49% in adults 50 years of age or older."

Measles and chickenpox are not trivial diseases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
You are from LA? I grew up in NYC. Big cities with millions of people. My small Catholic elementary had 600 students. My HS had over 1,000. Of course, I could not possibly know every kid in those schools. NONE of those students died or had complications from any of these childhood diseases. IF any did, we would have been told to pray or go to Mass for them, whether we knew them or not. They certainly did not shut down schools because of a chicken pox or measles "outbreak". The "health professionals" will say it is pure "luck", but statistically speaking, what are the ODDS (30%) of nobody having complications or death when the student population of a school is close to, or over 1,000?

Did you ever see reports in the newspapers or on TV of deaths from measles or chicken pox? Any quarantine signs on buildings for measles or chicken pox? I never saw any for Polio either. Again, I went all around Manhattan with my friends from a very young age, include to strange buildings Trick or Treating. Wouldn't you think in major cities these signs (fear?) would be ALL OVER the place?

I am sure somebody will come on and post "Quarantine" signs, or pictures of Iron Lungs to refute what we say. They make it sound like we lived in the times of Plague because there very, very vaccines.
You never saw news reports of deaths from measles or chickenpox because they were frequent enough to not be news.

From your posts on the subject, we know that from your point of view, if you did not personally see it, it never happened.

Since you and I are about the same age and I vividly remember polio and the concern about it, perhaps the difficulty is that you were just not a very observant child.

Since the thread is about documentaries, here's one for you, filmed in my home town. I was in junior high school.

https://archive.org/details/babies_and_breadwinners_1

Edited to add: Front page headline, New York Times, April 13, 1955:

https://www.nytimes.com/store/front-...nt-nskeep.html

SALK POLIO VACCINE PROVES SUCCESS; MILLIONS WILL BE IMMUNIZED SOON; CITY SCHOOLS BEGIN SHOTS APRIL 25.

Half the front page was about the vaccine.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 04-01-2016 at 02:33 PM..

Old 04-01-2016, 02:12 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The co-founder of the festival getting a say as to what films are screened is censorship, now? That's generally not how it works.
Yes it is.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:14 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Yes it is.
No, censorship would be the government confiscating the film and not allowing it to be shown anywhere.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I did a little sleuthing today about this cousin of my husband's. She died in 1949, another big year for polio, with 42,000 cases. In fact, that was the highest count ever until the epidemic of 1952. I found two newspaper articles about her; in one she was still in critical condition, in the second, she died. This was from the Lincoln, Nebraska newspaper.

13 years old, she fit the profile. Older kids were more likely to die, for some reason.
PHI: Incidence Rates of Poliomyelitis in US

Here's a good article from Wiki (yeah, I know) with a poster from 1957. I remember these.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_of_Dimes

Another good article about the March of Dimes:
http://www.teachspace.org/personal/r...tory/mod3.html
"On 1 February 1951, when talk of vaccines was growing more and more optimistic, thousands and thousands of volunteers went into the streets to collect for the National Foundation. At 7:00 p.m., church bells would ring and fire stations would blow their horns. Anyone who wanted to contribute would turn on their porch light and meet the volunteers at the door with their donation. In one month, the volunteers would raise the operating funds for the National Foundation for the whole year."

I remember these "Mother's Marches".

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-01-2016 at 04:04 PM..

Old 04-01-2016, 04:27 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Dear "Health Professionals", Do you want to silence we old people too, like any other "quack"? You do not have to silence us. Just the fact that we are alive, not disabled, is enough for everyone around us, especially our FAMILIES, to see. Hey, our parents and grandparents, are still around us. They HAD all those childhood diseases, yet you medical professionals are telling it is so DEADLY/Disabling that this cannot possibly be. Maybe when we are dead from old age, you won't have us to deal with this? PLUS, there are still many young parents who still had diseases like Chicken Pox themselves who say, like my daughters (6 and 11 then), what is the BIG DEAL about Chicken Pox? WHY do you think you have so much of a problem with FLU SHOTS? Same reason. Too many people walking around who had HAD the Flu, and Childhood Diseases and LIVED, not disabled, to tell about it.

Better pass GAG Legislation. Again, my issue isn't Science but the Social/Legal implications. I do not care whether a Flu or Tdap vax is safe or not. Get out of face and do not touch me.

Listen to we Medical Professionals, not Dr. Jenny, Dr. Wakefield ,Vaxxed, OR your living, not disabled, Parents, Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents. If you know ONE PERSON who was hospalized with the Flu and yourself and dozens were weren't? Well, it might you YOU!!!! People with trust their own personal EXPERIENCES, more you any "Scientist": pro or anti vaccine.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:57 PM

No one has said everyone who got the old Vaccine Preventable Diseases died from them. We are pointing out some historical events for which some who were there have no memory of, and for which the young uns are just "history". Many of us did point out personal experiences. It wasn't just some mythical "other people" who died of these diseases. It was some of our family and friends.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:14 PM
mm4 mm4 started this thread

5,711 posts, read 3,978,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
No one has said everyone who got the old Vaccine Preventable Diseases died from them. We are pointing out some historical events for which some who were there have no memory of, and for which the young uns are just "history". Many of us did point out personal experiences. It wasn't just some mythical "other people" who died of these diseases. It was some of our family and friends.
Better nutrition and sanitation linearly coincides with the decline in prevalence of the diseases that you attribute to vaccines. If you tour 500-year old houses, you'll notice people also grew taller.

Crapping and other poor hygiene in archaically engineered and treated swimming pools is largely responsible for the U.S. polio epidemic.

The public record is flooded with inflammatory responses of varying degrees of morbidity from vaccine schedules.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:31 PM

"Adverse events reported during post-approval use of Tripedia vaccine include idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, SIDS,
anaphylactic reaction, cellulitis, autism, convulsion/grand mal convulsion, encephalopathy, hypotonia, neuropathy, somnolence and apnea."

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Biologi.../UCM101580.pdf

Page 11 of the package insert.

Wait, did that say "autism"?

Last edited by mm4; 04-01-2016 at 06:23 PM..

Old 04-01-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
"Adverse events reported during post-approval use of Tripedia vaccine include idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, SIDS,
anaphylactic reaction, cellulitis, autism, convulsion/grand mal convulsion, encephalopathy, hypotonia, neuropathy, somnolence and apnea."

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM101580.pdf

Page 11 of the package insert.

Wait, did that say "autism"?
My, my, an "Invalid URL".

OK, so I Googled Tripedia and found this: "Adverse events reported during post-approval use of Tripedia vaccine include...autism...Events were included in this list because of the seriousness or frequency of reporting. Because these events are reported voluntarily from a population of uncertain size, it is not always possible to reliably estimate their frequencies or to establish a causal relationship to components of Tripedia vaccine.

In other words, autism was included because it was deemed either serious or was frequently reported, not because there was any causal relationship found between the vaccine and autism."

Harpocrates Speaks: Package Inserts - Understanding What They Do (and Don't) Say

Old 04-01-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
My, my, an "Invalid URL".

OK, so I Googled Tripedia and found this: "Adverse events reported during post-approval use of Tripedia vaccine include...autism...Events were included in this list because of the seriousness or frequency of reporting. Because these events are reported voluntarily from a population of uncertain size, it is not always possible to reliably estimate their frequencies or to establish a causal relationship to components of Tripedia vaccine.

In other words, autism was included because it was deemed either serious or was frequently reported, not because there was any causal relationship found between the vaccine and autism."

Harpocrates Speaks: Package Inserts - Understanding What They Do (and Don't) Say
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Biologi.../UCM101580.pdf

Fixed up there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies