Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 11:04 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I live in a safe neighborhood so I feel I don't need pay for police protection either
Good analogy. Safer cities' police budget is much lower than cities riddled with crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 11:04 AM

20,454 posts, read 12,373,731 times
well lets start by overcoming my natural inclination to be abusive to the OP... LOL.

So here is the deal Victorian Punk... Government doesn't care about parents. Government doesn't "give stuff to parents" because they need it.

However, government does need PEOPLE. There is no government if there are no people. and there are 2 very important points one must understand about government.

1. Government is most interested in insuring it continues to exist. those in power seek to stay in power because... well... its all about power.

2. Government understands you get more of what you subsidize. If you want to have government and the associated power associated with that power, you have to have people so you do what must be done, you subsidize the creation of people.

its really that simple.

You don't get the benefits because you aren't playing. governments interest is in more people. you don't care. so don't worry yourself about it.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:13 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
LOL at the OP.

I have kids and I don't get any additional days off work. When you have maternity or paternity leave, for most employers you use FMLA or LTD (long term disability) benefits. You don't get those days for free either at a majority of employers. All of my jobs have been unpaid for those sorts of leaves (especially FMLA).

I don't get where you think parents get special privileges. Everyone at my job gets the same amount of vacation and sick time accruals and has access to FMLA and short and long term disability.

I think kids themselves are a personal choice. But I don't get why you would want to disparage parents just because you chose not to be one. Having kids and not having kids is a perk.

I remember an older thread you wrote about how you don't like women either. Men on their own or something like that. You don't want a relationship or kids thats fine for you, but it is odd that you keep creating threads in order to "pump" yourself up for your lonely life it seems.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:15 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It's not just income tax. There are also public schools, property taxes, child care deduction... It's a laundry list. Regardless how you justify it, the fact remains taxpayers are paying some of your child care expenses.

I am an advocate of doing away with all income tax or using a flat income tax with no deduction whatsoever.
I've never been blessed to have children and I have never once resented the tax breaks families get or the school taxes, etc. I have paid to help families. We all benefit from having children in society who will grow up to run the country, joining the military to protect our nation, and pay taxes that will help the disabled and elderly, etc. etc.. It takes a village to raise a child and it takes a village to make all the parts of a village work well.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:20 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
I don't get the taxes thing either. I haven't gotten a "tax refund" for my kids since....2004, I believe. That's one of the reasons I liked GW Bush lol. He gave me some huge tax refunds.

But families actually pay more in taxes in regards to having to have larger homes (which was referenced by the OP in regards to his "tiny" apartment. Apartment dwellers don't have a huge property tax burden).

Families spend more of their disposable income on goods and services (like vacations). They have to feed/clothe more people and so end up paying more in taxes than a single person, which is why we get additional deductions besides ourselves and/or spouses.

Again, having children or not having children is not a bad thing IMO. Anyone who wants them and can take care of them well, IMO should be able to do so. Those that don't want to, then don't and you won't have problems.

But it is odd to call a woman a "bovine" or cow. What are the dads - bulls and/or studs? LOL

Old 03-28-2016, 11:30 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Personally the way I feel is the only really important thing I've done in life is raise my kids. Having kids at a young age did force me to continually seek better job/income for 30 years and led to me becoming well off today. Would I have been better off without kids, not sure but I tend to think I would have been even more selfish and lived a life of selfishness had I not had kids. Maybe in some ways it would have been more rewarding without kids but overall, there's no way my life would have been better childless.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I've never been blessed to have children and I have never once resented the tax breaks families get or the school taxes, etc. I have paid to help families. We all benefit from having children in society who will grow up to run the country, joining the military to protect our nation, and pay taxes that will help the disabled and elderly, etc. etc.. It takes a village to raise a child and it takes a village to make all the parts of a village work well.
Running the country and joining the military are voluntary while paying taxes to raise other people's children is not.

I understand the "it takes a village mentality" but it always becomes "takes other people's money to put into my pocket."

Even it takes other people's money, can we at least implement some measurement to ensure people are responsible for their children? Like they don't raise children who become a huge drain for the society?

I have no issue with paying taxes to support the disabled and the elderly but I still have to question where are their parents?

Old 03-28-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I don't get the taxes thing either. I haven't gotten a "tax refund" for my kids since....2004, I believe. That's one of the reasons I liked GW Bush lol. He gave me some huge tax refunds.

But families actually pay more in taxes in regards to having to have larger homes (which was referenced by the OP in regards to his "tiny" apartment. Apartment dwellers don't have a huge property tax burden).

Families spend more of their disposable income on goods and services (like vacations). They have to feed/clothe more people and so end up paying more in taxes than a single person, which is why we get additional deductions besides ourselves and/or spouses.

Again, having children or not having children is not a bad thing IMO. Anyone who wants them and can take care of them well, IMO should be able to do so. Those that don't want to, then don't and you won't have problems.

But it is odd to call a woman a "bovine" or cow. What are the dads - bulls and/or studs? LOL
Those are voluntary but taxation is not. Nights and days.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:36 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think of it like this: If one fails to have children, then all those millions and millions of years of making you - your particular combination of dust - from the first one-celled living thing on earth, past the oceans, past the dinosaurs, past the advent of the mammal and the upright primate, surviving all that nature could throw at it, wars, famine, disease and persevering to become you --- ENDS with you. Your twig on of the tree of life just dies when you die and whatever little miracle of survival you might represent is lost for eternity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
No. To the contrary, I would even say that it is kind of egoistic and antisocial to enjoy all that society and the government provide and yet not have any children that will help provide those things to the next generations in the future.

Having kids is not a problem in the first world, not having them is.
Having kids is a problem in developing countries, simply because they have too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
People who voluntarily refuse to have children are selfish and disrespecting God's words. No sane person also regrets having their kids either.
You 3 have done a bang up job of proving that the OP has a point. This is exactly the egotistical and narcissistic attitude that too many parents have. You're actually trying to convince people that they should have children to protect a twig on a tree. What a load of bs that was.

And then call us anti social because we don't sprout children to cater to their wants and needs? There's PLENTY of children out there to continue "providing the services". (I can't believe you people actually type things like that.) Then we top it off with "disrepsecting God's word". I've seen it all, now.

If you all actually gave two sh**s about kids, you would be out there adopting kids who need a home. They can "continue to provide" YOU services - since apparently it's not about what you can do for the kids, it's about what the kids can do for you...JHC I can't believe the horse manure I'm reading here today - they can take care of YOU when you're old (again, it's "me, me, me, me, me" not about the kids themselves), and can please your God, denying the fact that millions of people all over this world do NOT believe in God...

Not all parents are like this, thankfully, but far too many are, but congratulations to you 3 for confirming anything that the OP thinks and feels regarding parents. You did a fantastic job of showing him how right his feelings are. You all shriek in horror at the use of the word "bovine" and then trot this garbage out. It's not the OP you all should be afraid of, it's parents like the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I don't see why child free people need to defend themselves. Everyone has a different perspective. Personally I see no point to being able to do whatever, whenever, without having someone to support, or care about. To each their own.
You don't have to have kids to provide support and care.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:38 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Maybe not your purpose but the end result or the driving force behind it is to pass your gene.

Correct. Parents are in charge of educating their kids so taxpayers really shouldn't be paying for it.

We can continue for years, you just won't get it because you seem too angry to be reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies