Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 11:11 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times

Advertisements

Wyckoff Police Chief Benjamin Fox takes leave after profiling email

The text of the "offending" e-mail (publicly available) is as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Police Chief Benjamin Fox
I think that most police officers are finding the national rhetoric about police abuse and racial profiling quite upsetting. Profiling, racial or otherwise, has it's place in law enforcement when used correctly and applied fairly. Unfortunately we have never heard that from our President, top political leaders or our US Attorney General. Don't ask the police to ignore what we know. Black gang members from Teaneck commit burglaries in Wyckoff. That's why we check out suspicious black people in white neighborhoods. White kids buy heroin in black NYC neighborhoods. That's why the NYPD stops those white kids. The police know they are there to buy drugs. It's insane to think that the police should just dumb down just to be politically correct. The public wants us to keep them safe and I'm confident that they want us to use our skills and knowledge to attain that goal.

My major concern is that all of this misguided complaining about police officers will cause an officer to react slower to something you might perceive as a threat. That delay could be deadly. Continue to do your job relying on your training, instincts and knowledge: A common thread in the recent national incidents are persons who resist the police. That resistance then creates your counter reaction. We don't run from fights. This department has a history of being respected by the public. Each of you contribute to that daily. Continue to be fair with people and treat them with respect. If someone resists your authorized demands, use your counter reaction as the law allows and you have my 100 support should others complain. If you have done your job correctly, they don't want to get me on the other end of the phone. Above all, do what you have to do and that which the law allows you to do to remain safe.
I think his being forced to take leave is a bridge too far. Specifically, majority people, as outlined in the e-mail, can also be subject to profiling. There is nothing wrong in my opinion with allocating scarce police resources in an economical manner in accordance with common sense. Police are powerless to change the semi-segregated nature of society. Thus they should use that unfortunate fact to society's advantage.

Another example concerns terror. It is obvious that most, though not all terror emanates from certain groups. In an effort to maintain a spurious "fairness" we force all people to undergo security checks when entering New York City office buildings. Clearly, almost all of those people are going about their day to day business, and having to add 15 minutes to the needed time to make a meeting is bad for productivity and society. Yet to spare the feelings of communities that more or less refuse to integrate we are inconveniencing all.

Similarly, in Brussels and Paris, as well as other European cities (and a few communities in the U.S.) there are large areas that are "off limits" to police and to majority communities. Common sense dictates that nothing good is happening in those communities. It is not as if the people in those communities are plotting out peaceful demonstrations. Nor are they working on arguments that they will ask their members of Parliament to debate. They are devising ways to hurt or kill us. And given the relative lack of employment, largely on the Government's "dime."

All that I ask is some common sense, not racism.

Last edited by jbgusa; 03-27-2016 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 11:19 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

That would be the magic trick of the century. Most of us have been pleading for sanity to return with no reward.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
That would be the magic trick of the century. Most of us have been pleading for sanity to return with no reward.
The plesae have to be more public and more pervasive. When I try to discuss it with people they change the topic.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:40 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
[b]

Another example concerns terror. It is obvious that most, though not all terror emanates from certain groups. In an effort to maintain a spurious "fairness" we force all people to undergo security checks when entering New York City office buildings. Clearly, almost all of those people are going about their day to day business, and having to add 15 minutes to the needed time to make a meeting is bad for productivity and society. Yet to spare the feelings of communities that more or less refuse to integrate we are inconveniencing all.

I completely agree with this. Great thread.

Many people take "profiling" so personally and I have no ideas why.

Profiling is used as a means of attempting to - and in most cases succeeding - to predict the next move of a criminal who may be on what is commonly referred to as a 'spree'.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I completely agree with this. Great thread.

Many people take "profiling" so personally and I have no ideas why.

Profiling is used as a means of attempting to - and in most cases succeeding - to predict the next move of a criminal who may be on what is commonly referred to as a 'spree'.
Being "enlightened" to many people means parking common sense at the door. Many militant leaders of ethnic group take profiling "personally" because it works. The problem is that 99% of the time, if a black teen clad in "urban" clothes is driving a Mercedes it's stolen. So it makes all the sense in the world to pull over such a car for a check of license and registration. Is it logical for a police department to be charged with a civil rights violation?

Or if ten people of Middle Eastern descent or appearance are boarding a domestic plane flight, there's nothing wrong in asking them the purpose of their tripo, not to prevent their traveling but to make sure that they're not on a suicide mission. The inconvenience to the people is minimal. If an officer stops me (a middle-aged white Jewish person) in the Grand Central area asking me where I'm going the question is fine with me. I'm not calling B'Nai B'rith Anti-Defamation League. But the odds that I'd be stopped hopefully are small since the chance that someone meeting my description would have committed or be about to commit an act of violence are slender.

The discussion among liberals then oftne devolves into why certain people feel so violently. But frankly that's a different discussion for a different day.

Last edited by jbgusa; 03-27-2016 at 01:34 PM..

Old 03-27-2016, 02:41 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Quote:
The plesae have to be more public and more pervasive. When I try to discuss it with people they change the topic.
There's a reason for the saying "ignorance is bliss"

People would rather be lied to, than to be told they are being lied to.

Quote:
The discussion among liberals then often devolves into why certain people feel so violently. But frankly that's a different discussion for a different day.
Again, it's simply misguided logic.

Sometimes there isn't a reason why people become so violent, they just are.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
People would rather be lied to, than to be told they are being lied to.
Reminds me of a Neil Young song called "After the Gold Rush" (though the title is never mentioned in the song). The line is "I was thinking about what a friend had said, I was hoping it was a lie."
Quote:
Again, it's simply misguided logic. Sometimes there isn't a reason why people become so violent, they just are.
That's generally true. But liberals will try to explain the "anger" as something white people, Europeans, the rich, take your pick caused. Whenever there's some atrocity such as September 11, or a stabbing attack in Israel, we here that certain groups have a right to be angry about "the Crusades" or "Israeli settlements," again take your pick.

By the way I repped this post.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:21 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Being "enlightened" to many people means parking common sense at the door. Many militant leaders of ethnic group take profiling "personally" because it works. The problem is that 99% of the time, if a black teen clad in "urban" clothes is driving a Mercedes it's stolen. So it makes all the sense in the world to pull over such a car for a check of license and registration. Is it logical for a police department to be charged with a civil rights violation?

Or if ten people of Middle Eastern descent or appearance are boarding a domestic plane flight, there's nothing wrong in asking them the purpose of their tripo, not to prevent their traveling but to make sure that they're not on a suicide mission. The inconvenience to the people is minimal. If an officer stops me (a middle-aged white Jewish person) in the Grand Central area asking me where I'm going the question is fine with me. I'm not calling B'Nai B'rith Anti-Defamation League. But the odds that I'd be stopped hopefully are small since the chance that someone meeting my description would have committed or be about to commit an act of violence are slender.

The discussion among liberals then oftne devolves into why certain people feel so violently. But frankly that's a different discussion for a different day.
OK let's start with the black teen driving the Mercedes in urban clothes. Let us see the statistics please.

In early years we knew two very well off black teenagers who drove Mercedes...so we will be really curious where the 200 black kids who stole them were caught.

One of those black kids was a character at Disneyland and later a featured dancer on cruise ships...

The NYC statistics indicated they "profiled" vastly more black guys than anyone else but actually had a terrible hit ratio. You have statistics to counter that?

It is reasonably clear that you can get thrown off an airplane for looking Arabic. You think that OK?

I had a second in command at one point who was a rough looking black guy. Had a Master degree in Electrical Engineering and made a couple of hundred thousand a year 30 years ago. Used to get stopped a couple of times a year for driving while black. You approve?

Old 03-27-2016, 07:34 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
That's why we check out suspicious black people in white neighborhoods. White kids buy heroin in black NYC neighborhoods. That's why the NYPD stops those white kids.

Yet they arrest blacks at a much higher rate than whites even though drug use is the same among the races.

Wonder what the excuse was for the unconstitutional pat downs?

The NYPD stopped close to 531,159 people on the street last year, up from more than 90,000 a decade ago. Fifty-one percent of those stopped were black, 32 percent Hispanic and 11 percent white. According to U.S. Census figures, there are 8.2 million people in the city: 26 percent are black, 28 percent are Hispanic and 44 percent are white.

Lawsuit: N.Y. police stops racist, 'unconstitutional'

Old 03-27-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
OK let's start with the black teen driving the Mercedes in urban clothes. Let us see the statistics please.

In early years we knew two very well off black teenagers who drove Mercedes...so we will be really curious where the 200 black kids who stole them were caught.

One of those black kids was a character at Disneyland and later a featured dancer on cruise ships...

The NYC statistics indicated they "profiled" vastly more black guys than anyone else but actually had a terrible hit ratio. You have statistics to counter that?

It is reasonably clear that you can get thrown off an airplane for looking Arabic. You think that OK?

I had a second in command at one point who was a rough looking black guy. Had a Master degree in Electrical Engineering and made a couple of hundred thousand a year 30 years ago. Used to get stopped a couple of times a year for driving while black. You approve?
I don't respond to posts of this hectoring variety. I am not under deposition.

But do you have any alternative?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies