Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 06:48 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times

Advertisements

The bast answer to have given the jackass would have been: Too bad I am a charitable guy but don't give a crap about justice.

I suggest the idiots worried about food deserts open a grocery in one of those deserts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 06:35 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times
Do people like you just look at every ****** mundane thing in your day to day life as some kind of an attack on your ideology so you can post about it here? Maybe instead of getting upset about some cashier asking you if you want to donate to something you simply say no thank you/sure and get get on with it. How dare they use a word that you deem improper for the context of their organization. Calm down.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:52 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The bast answer to have given the jackass would have been: Too bad I am a charitable guy but don't give a crap about justice.

I suggest the idiots worried about food deserts open a grocery in one of those deserts.
Thankfully, there are people out there who understand when there is a need for something & they try to fix that problem instead of coming onto a forum & pounding on their keyboard. Look up Will Allen, he's doing a great thing for my city & has inspired others to follow in his footsteps. THAT is someone who should be admired rather than some keyboard commando.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:16 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Throughout the summer, my city and the cities and towns around it host several farmer's markets each week in various locations. Several have begun hosting one of them a week in a local housing project - which is perfect since there are generally communal spaces for set up indoors. They're open to anyone - in fact, that's where I tend to go since the locations are often more convenient to me - and accept EBT. Generally, one of the local colleges or a Girl Scout troop or some other organization is there doing cooking demos. If you have grown up in a cycle of poverty only eating things that come in boxes, fresh produce can seem really frightening. If you're never tasted kale, rutabega, fennel, zucchini, etc then you're unlikely to buy it. The farmers involved at the farmer's market are really proactive when they see people coming in and looking confused to explain what everything is and how to easily prepare it.

It's not always a food desert (there's a major grocery store a block away) or charity (everyone here pays). Instead, it's the concerted effort to bring nutrition in bite-sized chunks to populations who are at risk. Diabetes, child obesity, heart disease, etc are very high among low-income families who often don't know what to do with produce and think it's much more expensive to eat healthily than to buy a box of hamburger helper. It doesn't have to be that much more expensive, and can be so much healthier.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:22 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
Went into a health food store I rarely go into. At checkout they wanted to know if I wished to contribute to Food Justice. This kind of abuse of the language for political purposes does tend to provoke me. But of course the woman said it was for low income families. "That's charity, not justice," I replied.

"Food justice is the right of communities everywhere to produce, process, distribute, access, and eat good food regardless of race, class, gender, ethnicity, citizenship, ability, religion, or community."--from some website

What does that even mean?

Soylent green can be produced and manufactured regardless of race, class, gender, ethnicity, citizenship, ability, religion or community.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:41 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Throughout the summer, my city and the cities and towns around it host several farmer's markets each week in various locations. Several have begun hosting one of them a week in a local housing project - which is perfect since there are generally communal spaces for set up indoors. They're open to anyone - in fact, that's where I tend to go since the locations are often more convenient to me - and accept EBT. Generally, one of the local colleges or a Girl Scout troop or some other organization is there doing cooking demos. If you have grown up in a cycle of poverty only eating things that come in boxes, fresh produce can seem really frightening. If you're never tasted kale, rutabega, fennel, zucchini, etc then you're unlikely to buy it. The farmers involved at the farmer's market are really proactive when they see people coming in and looking confused to explain what everything is and how to easily prepare it.

It's not always a food desert (there's a major grocery store a block away) or charity (everyone here pays). Instead, it's the concerted effort to bring nutrition in bite-sized chunks to populations who are at risk. Diabetes, child obesity, heart disease, etc are very high among low-income families who often don't know what to do with produce and think it's much more expensive to eat healthily than to buy a box of hamburger helper. It doesn't have to be that much more expensive, and can be so much healthier.
Yes, the farmers market in my neighborhood takes EBT cards. It's a smaller market, not a whole lot of options, but there is fresh bread, vegetables, flowers, honey, salsas, meats. Enough of healthy options for people to get with their EBT. Very nice option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies