Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 03:32 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Would you please explain a little more? I asked cost of product but we can talk about cost of employees.

How do we determine the cost of employees?

Supply and demand for given skill sets based on the supply and demand of the relevant product or service.

A one size approach doesn't fit. California isn't one economy. The economy in the Bay is miles away from the economy in the Central Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 03:32 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
So you think a person, who can't produce much value for the business, should be paid more than his work's worth regardless of his performance and the business owners should be forced, at gunpoint, to do so?

Again, how is that in anyway moral, ethical, just, fair or remotely reasonable?

No, I think no one has the option of employing someone for non subsistence (aka slave) wages. You don't get that option. The minimum, bare minimum, cost of employing someone is that they are able to eat, clothe and house themselves with the wages they spend most of their time earning. If they can't do that then a) they die thus cease being your employee, or b) they survive on government assistance, which is paid for with my tax dollars. Sorry, I'm not subsidizing your employees.

If you don't think someone is worth subsistence wages, great -- don't employ them.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
If it's better for the economy, why not make it $150/hour?
It probably would be MUCH better for the economy for the minimum wage to be $150 an hour than for 10 percent to own 90 percent of the wealth, but a healthy economy isn't my only consideration. I also want to reward merit and maintain incentives for innovation and ambition. That's why I think the minimum wage should be just that ... the minimum. What's the minimum? It's the cost of maintaining one's self. People who maintain themselves with their wages are maintained by you and me, the taxpayers.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:38 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
No, I think no one has the option of employing someone for non subsistence (aka slave) wages. You don't get that option. The minimum, bare minimum, cost of employing someone is that they are able to eat, clothe and house themselves with the wages they spend most of their time earning. If they can't do that then a) they die thus cease being your employee, or b) they survive on government assistance, which is paid for with my tax dollars. Sorry, I'm not subsidizing your employees.

If you don't think someone is worth subsistence wages, great -- don't employ them.
In case you don't know, you just priced millions of people, who can't produce a value more than $15/hour, out of job!

Brilliant!

Old 04-06-2016, 03:40 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
It probably would be MUCH better for the economy for the minimum wage to be $150 an hour than for 10 percent to own 90 percent of the wealth, but a healthy economy isn't my only consideration. I also want to reward merit and maintain incentives for innovation and ambition. That's why I think the minimum wage should be just that ... the minimum. What's the minimum? It's the cost of maintaining one's self. People who maintain themselves with their wages are maintained by you and me, the taxpayers.
I hope you are the only one who thinks $150/hour minimum wage is MUCH better for the economy.

Since you want to reward merit and maintain incentives for innovation and ambition, why do you support $15/hour for people whose work aren't even worth $15/hour? How is that rewarding merit?

Old 04-06-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I'm curious if the $15 wage in California (and NYC) will spark the return of the automat - which were popular in the 1940's and '50's when low-cost labor was hard to come by.

You can read about them here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automat

I do foresee a decline in fast food places, since they rely so heavily on low-cost labor. Perhaps we'll see a rise in hot dog carts and other "single person" businesses, since they'll have an advantage over high-priced labor of restaurants and shops.

I do want to say that raising the min wage is only half the equation - we still need to find jobs for the relatively unskilled. Perhaps the politicians of the next decade will be willing to promote colossal public works projects to put these people to work if and when the unemployment rate rises to unacceptable levels.

They still have Automats in the Netherlands. There are so many things I love about the Netherlands -- it's truly one of the best countries on Earth -- the food is definitely not of them. I just can't see Americans tolerating the quality of food you get in an Automat. Maybe, but doubtful.

I see more of a market for the single person business, which for me is great ... I would love to see every fast food joint replaced with 50 independent business men and women operating hot dog cart like operations .. that would spread the wealth far and wide and lead to the kind of economic stimulation I favor. Less money concentrated at the top -- more money spread evenly at the lower rungs. That's what I'm after. That's why economists say is healthy.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I hope you are the only one who thinks $150/hour minimum wage is MUCH better for the economy.

Since you want to reward merit and maintain incentives for innovation and ambition, why do you support $15/hour for people whose work aren't even worth $15/hour? How is that rewarding merit?
Life is not black and white, life. It's about balance. I make a lot more than $15 an hour. I'm not satisfied with that low of a wage. Are you? A $31,000 annual income (assuming a 40-hour work week) isn't enough to get someone every little thing their heart desires. Most people would still have plenty of incentive to get out of bed in the morning and hustle to make far above the minimum.

I don't want to raise the minimum wage to something ridiculous as you propose (even though it probably would lead to more economic stimulus) because then we truly would have the communism rightwingnuts scream about every time you talk about raising the minimum wage. That's too high. At those wages, only people with superhuman amounts of ambition would work for more than the minimum. Everyone would have the same. That's not good. Russia volunteered to be the guinea pig on that one 100 years ago, and we now have the benefit of learning from their mistake.

Let's get to your point though about people who aren't worth $15 an hour. I don't believe those people exist. That's about subsistence wages these days. I don't believe there is anyone who is willing to work who does not deserve subsistence.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
In case you don't know, you just priced millions of people, who can't produce a value more than $15/hour, out of job!

Brilliant!
You have contributed a lot of energy to this thread, life. Let me take a wild stab here. Do you employ people? Do you pay them low wages? If the answer is yes and yes, I have a suggestion. Why not get rid of the dead weight and only keep the quality ones who are worth employing?

Don't worry about the dead weight. One man's trash is another's treasure. Someone will find gainful, subsistence-paying labor for them.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:26 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,285,564 times
Quote:
Would you please explain a little more? I asked cost of product but we can talk about cost of employees.

How do we determine the cost of employees?
Depends on how much money a business makes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
No it's not. If that were the case, then Facebook employees would make about a billion dollars a year. Do they?
I did not say a business would spend every dollar they make on employees.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:50 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:

In the real world not every job is worth a "living wage" and not every worker is worth paying a "living wage". By forcing business to pay more all you're doing is making sure that there are more people who won't be hired. Good for the so-called under employed college grads with useless degrees, not very good for the 70% of the country that doesn't have one. But liberals have never been concerned with the outcome as long as they can "do something" to make things "fair".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies