Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 06:56 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,637,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Cool story.

The Central Valley is a complete opposite of San Fran Bay or even LA. Outside of the big three, California is poor. Mississippi poor. A statewide wage makes no sense. We are not one economy. The small business in Visalia or Hanford is not the same as the business in the city.

The economy in the bay is subsidized by the entire effing planet. Google and Apple and the other guys generate revenue from billions of people globally. The spoils are spread across tech workers who earn more than they would be worth anyplace else. This isn't rocket science or even graduate-level economics.

The state wants a higher wage because they can tax it. They will simply shift their burden onto the consumer. Simple as that.
I grew up outside the big three in California. I also spent three weeks in Mississippi -- in what was probably one of the wealthier areas. No, California is not Mississippi poor. It's not LA or SF rich either though. $15 an hour is probably too low for a minimum wage in SF or LA, but it's a reasonable wage for the "poor" areas in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 07:01 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,551,643 times
big deal. they still have to pay $2500K rent on a 1 bedroom apartment.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
big deal. they still have to pay $2500K rent on a 1 bedroom apartment.
Fortunately, it's not like that everywhere in California. A one-bedroom in my hometown (which I guess is within commuting distance to LA if you really had to do it) rents for about $700 to $800. $15 an hour is a living wage there.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:07 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times
Actually, this isn't even a test case. That has already been done in the Seattle area, especially SeaTac. I have heard that the result has been a decrease in tipping, a decrease in the number of jobs, and slight increase in prices (which resulted in a slight decrease in sales).
So, how much of a net gain has there been in "disposable income"? Not much, really!

Old 03-28-2016, 07:08 AM

20 posts, read 22,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I wonder how many TODAY make less then $15 an hour now in CA?
I don't have an exact figure for California but the linked article says that almost half of American workers make less than $15 an hour:

Almost Half of All American Workers Make Less Than $15 an Hour | The Nation

Old 03-28-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Actually, this isn't even a test case. That has already been done in the Seattle area, especially SeaTac. I have heard that the result has been a decrease in tipping, a decrease in the number of jobs, and slight increase in prices (which resulted in a slight decrease in sales).
So, how much of a net gain has there been in "disposable income"? Not much, really!
This has been done in one city. It's about to be done in the seventh largest economy in the world. Yeah, this is a test case.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:16 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,413,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I grew up outside the big three in California. I also spent three weeks in Mississippi -- in what was probably one of the wealthier areas. No, California is not Mississippi poor. It's not LA or SF rich either though. $15 an hour is probably too low for a minimum wage in SF or LA, but it's a reasonable wage for the "poor" areas in California.

Yes, we are.

California: "Land of Poverty" | Newgeography.com

Our poverty rate is higher than Mississippi. We have more people per capita on social programs. The standard deviation of our wages is skewed by high wage earners.

It isn't anywhere close to reasonable. In the Central Valley, two $15 minimum wage workers would earn well above the median household income. It isn't reasonable.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:40 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Well what won't be measured or seen is the unemployment of those whose skills are worth under $15 or the jobs that are never created, or the new businesses that are never started up...

Old 03-28-2016, 07:42 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,995,510 times
When did Micky D's or any entry level position become a real job to raise a family on?
This is your government inability to create real employment for the masses through their over taxation & regulation policies...

Old 03-28-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Well what won't be measured or seen is the unemployment of those whose skills are worth under $15 or the jobs that are never created, or the new businesses that are never started up...
It sounds like you're already doing damage control for when the California economy grows in spite of what the Koch suckers have been saying would happen if workers are paid decent wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies