Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 09:50 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
When did Micky D's or any entry level position become a real job to raise a family on?
This is your government inability to create real employment for the masses through their over taxation & regulation policies...
When the factory jobs, call centers, etc. moved to other countries and not just through NAFTA

Last edited by mkpunk; 03-28-2016 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: NAFTA, not NATO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 09:56 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Customers... if they continue to purchase the products at the higher prices.
A full meal at McDonald's or Wendy's is approaching $10 already. That's what I pay at Chilis. I have stopped eating at fast food places. BTW, somewhere in a warehouse sits a burger flipping machine cooking 100 beef patties at a time. Nobody is getting paid $15 an hour when college grads are dime a dozen for $18 an hour.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:34 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,120 times
Good news for the west coast!

Old 03-28-2016, 10:36 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
LOL, wouldn't that negate the whole point of wage increase?
Probably. almost certainly.
Anybody who has ever received a pay raise due to a provision in a Union Contract has already seen it, whether they will admit it or not.
EVERY TIME I got such a raise, within a month or so the cost of groceries, fuel, rent, etc. went up to compensate for it. Within 6 months at the most, my net buying power was exactly at the same point that it was before the pay raise. If the raise put me in a higher tax bracket, it might even be a net loss!
It is quite likely that the increase in minimum wage will ultimately hurt the very people it was meant to help. If so, it will be too late to do anything about it except increase the minimum wage again. and again. and again. etc.
Remember, insanity is often defined as doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results each time.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:43 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
The awesome thing is we're about to find out what happens in the US if you raise wages to first world standards. Do you we flourish like Australia? (I see no reason why we don't.) Or does it kill the economy? Once California proves you can pay US workers a decent wage and still make a profit other states will have a much harder time keeping their wages low.
We have been seeing that for decades!

As our wages go up, jobs are being moved to overseas. Now most our manufacturing jobs are gone.

Repeating the same thing and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
A full meal at McDonald's or Wendy's is approaching $10 already. That's what I pay at Chilis. I have stopped eating at fast food places. BTW, somewhere in a warehouse sits a burger flipping machine cooking 100 beef patties at a time. Nobody is getting paid $15 an hour when college grads are dime a dozen for $18 an hour.
I think that burger flipping machine can do 360 patties an hour and it doesn't need a break, health care, free college, maternity leave, or PC.

Momentum Machines Burger Robot - Business Insider

Old 03-28-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
We have been seeing that for decades!

As our wages go up, jobs are being moved to overseas. Now most our manufacturing jobs are gone.

Repeating the same thing and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.
So you think wages need to go lower to bring jobs back? Let's see if you are willing to ask for a pay cut to back that up?

Old 03-28-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
So you think wages need to go lower to bring jobs back? Let's see if you are willing to ask for a pay cut to back that up?
No, I don't think in that liberal way.

Firstly, we should kick out all illegal immigrants as they have been depressing our wage.
Secondly, we should remove the minimum wage requirement so that more people can get jobs and more jobs can stay here.
Thirdly, we should help people making minimum wage to improve their skills and work ethics so that they can get better job.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
No, I don't think in that liberal way.

Firstly, we should kick out all illegal immigrants as they have been depressing our wage.
Secondly, we should remove the minimum wage requirement so that more people can get jobs and more jobs can stay here.
Thirdly, we should help people making minimum wage to improve their skills and work ethics so that they can get better job.
You are a bag of contradictions with this post and your last post. Increasing wages causes jobs to be moved overseas or automated or given to illegal immigrants.

So we should get rid of illegal immigrants that are causing wages go be depressed, then get rid of minimum wage so that employers can legally depress wages anyway. Then there is third, how are you going to help those making less than current minimum wage improve their skills when they are struggling to survive making the least one could possibly make? When will they have the time to learn these new skills?

Old 03-28-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
You are a bag of contradictions with this post and your last post. Increasing wages causes jobs to be moved overseas or automated or given to illegal immigrants.

So we should get rid of illegal immigrants that are causing wages go be depressed, then get rid of minimum wage so that employers can legally depress wages anyway.
It's not legally depress wages - it's called market rate. Even employers want to, they can't fight the market. Let the market decides what wage should be paid for a particular position.

Illegals are occupying a lot of jobs rightfully belong to American citizens and legal immigrants. If we kick them out, we would have millions of jobs opened up.

Quote:
Then there is third, how are you going to help those making less than current minimum wage improve their skills when they are struggling to survive making the least one could possibly make? When will they have the time to learn these new skills?
Provide more training and schooling. Make it part of the condition for getting welfare and unemployment.

Are you telling me minimum wage makers are so busy that they can't even spare a few hours a week to go through some job related training or school? I used to make below the minimum wage and I still had time to study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies