Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 01:35 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times

Advertisements

This seems like the best section for this topic since it may be controversial.

The thread title comes a sentence in a non Fleming 007 novel. Publicly speaking.......

Came across Stanley Robert's "People Behaving Badly" the other week and have been watching a lot of them. This one,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bajUpfif_8A , got me thinking about what I do as a festival photographer. In short, I take oodles and oodles of pictures. Further, just as I take pictures of interesting people, scenes that tell a story, or just people having fun, I am sure I am ending up in others lenses, intentionally or other wise.

Now granted, being a festival photographer is not being out in "the real world". This or that park is an enclosed area and some even have disclaimers on their tickets saying that photography is going on. Out in the real world, I'm not that quick of a snapper unless I'm on a particular task such as shooting for location.

But a few things. First of all, how open are we all to acknowledging, even permitting that at any moment when we are in public we may be caught in the camera lens? I think we are very open to such......provided it's "the other guy". As one of the commenters noted in the above video, people defend up and down that they can film cops because they are in public.

Of course, when the button is pushed down, most of us would like it to be a favorable shot and not one with our mouth open like we were trying to catch flies. On a more serious note, this is why I try to live my life to be ready to explain, if I had to, why I was here or there. One of my lowly fears is I'll be someplace I shouldn't, thinking "Who's going to know?" only to show up in the background footage of a story that "Eyewitness News" was doing.

It doesn't even have to be "Eyewitness News" with all the camera phones these days. I dare say if anyone is doing anything that anyone might considered interesting, there is an excellent chance it is going to end up being recorded.

Recorded is one thing, but will it be displayed? Well, there is probably no security against that. There are times when I think people are essentially living in a fantasy world because I hear so many stories of people wanting to be discrete and yet they will go off and do things where it only takes being seen by the wrong person to blow the entire affair. They justify it by saying anyone who talks is also implicated but those who talk may not care or may be stupid of what it will do to them or just may be plain mean.

There is finally that other stand point in that if we are okay with being filmed by the press and if we are okay filmed by the public, then are we okay with being filmed by the government? We might not be but that's one thing where one can't have it both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 07:21 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,980,100 times
IMO, in the world of today, "privacy" is an unobtainable goal, unless you are camping in the Bob Marshal Wilderness Area or some such place!
Consider: Nearly everybody has a camera phone with video capability. Even my simple little flip phone has a camera! There are surveillance cameras all over the place for "security" purposes. In many communities there are red light cameras to catch those who can not be bothered to stop when they should. Even out in the country one can not be sure who has video surveillance around their house!
One can have "security", or one can have "privacy". Which is more important to YOU?
Think about it...

Old 03-29-2016, 10:37 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
I hate being on camera and I try to avoid it. The latest being a TV placed above the entrance doors to the local grocery store. I guess we are being filmed coming in. Another is a sign at the local Home Depot in the nut and bolt aisle that says "smile you are on camera" There is a motion activated camera pointed at the bins to stop stealing. I'm not a fan and I'm not a thief but I guess they think I am.

It is sad that all these extra security measures are now in use to keep us safe?
It is a sign of the times and it is only going to get worse.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:41 AM

35,708 posts, read 21,070,199 times
It doesn't matter God is always watching me-- and watching out for me- who cares if other humans do?

Old 03-29-2016, 10:42 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejames4598 View Post
If you are interested in having a reliable video security system, I would recommend checking out Mavlon tech.
You have made 4 posts so far and managed to recommend xxxxxx tech in every one. No spamming.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:44 AM

35,708 posts, read 21,070,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I hate being on camera and I try to avoid it. The latest being a TV placed above the entrance doors to the local grocery store. I guess we are being filmed coming in. Another is a sign at the local Home Depot in the nut and bolt aisle that says "smile you are on camera" There is a motion activated camera pointed at the bins to stop stealing. I'm not a fan and I'm not a thief but I guess they think I am.

It is sad that all these extra security measures are now in use to keep us safe?

I part-timed for HD-Lows and they have the best systems money can buy- can see if you have a quarter or a dime in your hand- heard the pharmacies like cvs are even better- but they also sell the "info" for sales and marketing and of course the police can see who bought that shovel at walkmrt to bury their victim in the flower bed after the murder. keep the cameras

Old 03-29-2016, 11:22 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,393,204 times
Quote:

And I STILL find packages in Lowes and Home Depot that have a hole in them and pieces missing.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:36 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:

Then you probably would not like to work where I do. Right now, there are probably at least 3 cameras pointing at me, one that we own (ie, I can see the feed back) and two owned by someone else.

In fact, there was a time, a few years ago, when I rode my bike into work and went into a storage space to change into work clothes. It was only afterwards that I remembered that the space too was under camera surveillance......and the tech had to access the disk the next morning to delete my otherwise youtube worthy performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies