Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2016, 06:49 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Some describe those actions as "beneficial" based on their emotions, their bias. Others decide more objectively what is right or wrong about the events of history.

Not to beat a poor dead horse still more, but "might" actually does make "right" for many who cannot think objectively.

One thing I have learned from history anyway..., is that sort of thinking is wrong. We can and should do better as a people, as a country, as a world power.

And better is what we should always be striving for, right?

Time to maybe waste less of my time by doing other things now...

Cheers!

Bullies will be bullies.

You going to be passive and accept the bullies might to oppress you? Ever try and reason with someone trying their best to intimidate you, with threats of harm?

I never played that game with any bully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 07:04 PM

Who is more powerful?

Government
Individual persons.

The Constitution WAS SUPPOSE to prevent that from happening.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:49 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Who is more powerful?

Government
Individual persons.

The Constitution WAS SUPPOSE to prevent that from happening.
'We' acquiesced our power by constantly asking for 'stuff'.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
'We' acquiesced our power by constantly asking for 'stuff'.

The 16th amendment tipped the scales.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
The 16th amendment tipped the scales.
Hard to argue against that!

A keynsian might, but not me.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:10 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Nothing...

The issue is that if it is beyond obvious, why have you spent a long time arguing that it is not proven by history?

Would you like a different example?
Have you any idea how hard this is to understand? For me to understand anyway...

You, me, none of us need to spend time discussing or proving the obvious. Clearly, history has documented and made clear -- obvious -- that might often prevails.

Not so obvious, for some anyway, is that judgment about the right or wrong of historical events is more complicated than simply recognizing victor over vanquished.

Even more important and far less obvious is how to apply that judgement today and going forward, where very important decisions about the use of force are being made by the United States and other countries.

Agreed?

Old 03-31-2016, 10:17 AM

Default Wrong again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Were this question posted in the History forum, then I would agree, but the in the context of Politics and other Controversies, the teachings are in the political cycles and patterns.
Of course you have your perspective about all of this. Also obvious is that your perspective is very different from mine in more than a few ways.

For example, I would argue the very opposite. History is an integral part of politics, integral to a better understanding all around.

What these forums make obvious is that these sorts of understandings are sorely lacking, almost no matter what the category of thread.

Seems to me that most people haven't learned much from history at all...

Old 03-31-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
No need to get personal about it! That is how you react when the truth hurts?
The answer to your question, is not as dynamic as you think it should be.

Wars have been waged between nations, tribes, people, and individuals for how many millennia?
There are only 2 answer choices to conflict.
I'm sorry - I apologize. Or F* you, pal.

Power, is all powerful. As one gets older, it may click what actually gains one the freedom they think they deserve.

One cannot give me or anyone, anymore freedom & liberty than we always had. They can only take it away. Power!
Don't mean to get personal, but hard to avoid when it is only you I am addressing, and primarily you that kept going on about one simple lesson "learned" from history; that "might makes right."

All you seem able to consider is that power and force is all that matters.

"Power is all powerful."

Those are your words, meaning what I'm also not sure, but there's that word again, twice in the space of a four word sentence!

As you have got older, it seems you can't think in any other terms. In fact you almost seem all the more proud every time you write about how power prevails, how that leverage of power is all that matters in the end. F*k or be F*kd you might say...

Nothing personal, but there is nothing beyond the obvious you seem to have learned from history. Who doesn't know that "bullies will be bullies," for example?

More interesting question or lesson might be to consider what makes a bully a bully?

When is the application of force right or wrong?

The answer to THOSE sorts of questions are what gets us beyond the obvious I think...

Old 03-31-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Ever try and reason with someone trying their best to intimidate you, with threats of harm?
Almost every day here in this forum, but here no one has any power over another, except perhaps by way of what knowledge we have learned and what reason we might apply.

Hmmm...

Old 03-31-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Almost every day here in this forum, but here no one has any power over another, except perhaps by way of what knowledge we have learned and what reason we might apply.

Hmmm...
You feel as though people are trying to intimidate others on this?

Amusing.

Mocked, ridiculed, belittled, maybe I'd agree. What I see online is a bunch of ego-thumping 'I'm smarter than you' bs. I would say it is very arrogant and extremely juvenile but, in all honesty, it cracks me up.

I'll still bow to the khan of khans, literally. I have to keep using that. Don't take offense. You had me laughing all afternoon (not laughing at you, laughing at the obvious).

Have a good day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies