Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 03:04 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
I assume none of you are military, let alone war vets. I'll leave it at that.
Do you not understand it's what those in the military have fought for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 08:16 PM

1,431 posts, read 914,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Do you not understand it's what those in the military have fought for?
I'm a war vet, so I have a better understanding than you. I'm all for free speech, no matter how offensive it may be to whoever. You can even attack me verbally, and I'll respect your right to do so without retaliation unless you threaten my well-being. But burning the flag is disrespectful to the individuals that have fought to secure that free speech you enjoy, so I take it personally. The act itself is not even speech; it's just a lewd publicity stunt to garner attention. Go ask any service member how they feel about the flag being burned outside of proper protocol. Better yet, go burn a flag on a military installation yourself and see what happens.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:20 PM

1,074 posts, read 951,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
I'm a war vet, so I have a better understanding than you. I'm all for free speech, no matter how offensive it may be to whoever. You can even attack me verbally, and I'll respect your right to do so without retaliation unless you threaten my well-being. But burning the flag is disrespectful to the individuals that have fought to secure that free speech you enjoy, so I take it personally. The act itself is not even speech; it's just a lewd publicity stunt to garner attention. Go ask any service member how they feel about the flag being burned outside of proper protocol. Better yet, go burn a flag on a military installation yourself and see what happens.
Thank you for your service, veezybell.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:22 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,302,584 times
Waste of time and effort, their actions accomplished nothing.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:37 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,851,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Someone may want to take another look at the 1st Amendment to the US Constitution. Unless you truly believe that a piece of fabric is worth more than the civil rights that piece of fabric represent.

The flag represents civil rights? Surely, you jest.

Flag-burning is, indeed, protected "speech," but don't dare say that it represents civil rights-- because civil rights laws were enacted to protect certain classes of people.

Interesting what they teach in school these days.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:05 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,974,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I respect it far more than you IMO. The right of protest, including the burning of the flag is what makes the country better than so many other countries.
And that is the problem. What you don't get is that is a short sighted line of thinking. You don't see the big picture. You only see the immediate space.

But guess what, it's not your fault and I am not insulting you. It's just the way our brains are wired. It's like pro-choice. No punishment, no rules, no parameters, no discipline, no commitment to country.

You tell that to someone that came back from down range not knowing whether he/she was coming or going that it's everyone's right to burn the flag and then you go on to eat your frosted flakes. You probably would only lift your head up once from that bowl cause you would be looking for your eye balls.

And that is the other line of thinking while being far sighted (pun intended)

Old 04-01-2016, 09:10 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,923,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The protestors should feel free to return to the place their ancestors came from if they hate it so much here.

More glorification of a thug.
Agreed tho I DON'T think Nigeria and Ghana would want those hoot rats back and, I DON'T blame those African countries.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:12 PM

580 posts, read 450,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
The flag represents civil rights? Surely, you jest.

Flag-burning is, indeed, protected "speech," but don't dare say that it represents civil rights-- because civil rights laws were enacted to protect certain classes of people.

Interesting what they teach in school these days.
LOL, wut?

Hey Einstein! EVERYONE has civil rights, they were just extended to black people in the mid '60s

Old 04-01-2016, 09:39 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,451,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
What should **** you off is how the Chicago PD union just hired the cop that killed Laquan McDonald and that Rahm Emanuel hasn't faced any real heat over the secret payoff and attempt to get the guy off completely without charges.

Partisanship like this doesn't bother me when it's voting.

When democratic bastions and police unions not only get a free pass from people like you.....they actually have you blaming their political rivals for their bad actions....you've completely sold out on any ideals and are just a party drone.

The republicans have them too, no ideals, no thought, no issues.....just party loyalty.

So please stop pretending that you actually give a fudge about some union cop in Chicago putting a bullet in a black kid because you don't.

You could have asked me for my opinion on police unions before you wasted your time typing this. I hate them. I'm not giving anyone a free pass, NOBODY supports this crap, but we're powerless against the machine.

Don't talk to me about party loyalty, I'm liberal but I'm sure as hell not a "Democrat".

Old 04-01-2016, 09:58 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,024,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logica View Post
Absurd, narrow-minded notion, bleated by anyone who doesn't understand symbolism.

The flag is symbolic, and so burning it is also symbolic. In fact, I'd say that burning the American flag is far more symbolic of our freedom of speech than pretty much anything else. The reason one can legally burn the flag is because of everything that flag stands for. So wrap your head around that one for a while.

Exactly. So anyone burning the symbol of our nation in essence is spitting on everything it stands for.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies