Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 01:27 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times

Advertisements

Sweden and many other Scandinavian countries are held up as models for a "modern and progressive" society by Sanders and his supporters. After all, college, health care, day care, etc. are virtually "free". By implying that, somehow here in the US we're just completely backwards for not having such an enlightened society.

So what makes Sweden so great?

Avg of near 60% of personal income goes back to the govt (that's almost everyone not just hedge funds and investors). In US dollars, people making $60K or more would pay this in taxes.

Sweden compared to the US looks almost xenophobic. Not everyone can migrate to Sweden, it's very difficult, so their relative spending on immigrants as compared to the US is paltry.

Corporate tax rate is around 22% (which to be fair is very low compared to the US of almost 40%). However they have far fewer deductions, and there are a bunch of other employer related taxes that get tacted on. Now the US has a ton of loop holes to drive the effective tax rate down, but Sanders wants to close those. Why on earth would you start a business under those conditions?

Sales TAX - Sweden and other European countries have the infamous VAT tax. Basically it's 25% on goods and services. So by a TV for $200 add another $50 in just sales tax.

Sweden spends 1% of GDP (about $1B) on military. The US spends 3.3% of GDP (like $500B) annually. Sweden doesn't neeed to spend so much since the US is for the most part a global protectorate.

So is this still a good deal? Is this a system that apparently 9.5 Million Swedes like, that would work in a country of 350 Million?

Personally I say no, but I would love for someone who thinks this is a good idea to tell me why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 09:52 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
If it is so great, why is he still here?

Old 03-31-2016, 10:52 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
Sweden only works because it is full of Swedes.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:55 PM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Touche!

Old 03-31-2016, 11:16 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
I wonder if 20% of the Swedish population lives off of generational welfare, taking much and giving little. I wonder if their gov't spending is so out of control that just interest on their debt will comprise it's 3rd largest annual expenditure.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:32 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,313,170 times
It wouldn't work because people in the United States are fatter, lazier, dumber, and too stuck in their own bubble to realize what's going on in the real world. I bet 80% of all Americans wouldn't even point to Sweden on a map!

Old 04-01-2016, 12:03 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Sweden compared to the US looks almost xenophobic. Not everyone can migrate to Sweden, it's very difficult, so their relative spending on immigrants as compared to the US is paltry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
According to the OECD (2013), Sweden has a higher foreign-born population than the United States (2.6% higher).

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
I wonder if 20% of the Swedish population lives off of generational welfare, taking much and giving little. I wonder if their gov't spending is so out of control that just interest on their debt will comprise it's 3rd largest annual expenditure.
Who knows, but Sweden's employment rate is 7% higher than America's (OECD 2014).

Old 04-01-2016, 12:38 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Sweden and many other Scandinavian countries are held up as models for a "modern and progressive" society by Sanders and his supporters. After all, college, health care, day care, etc. are virtually "free". By implying that, somehow here in the US we're just completely backwards for not having such an enlightened society.

So what makes Sweden so great?

Avg of near 60% of personal income goes back to the govt (that's almost everyone not just hedge funds and investors). In US dollars, people making $60K or more would pay this in taxes.

Corporate tax rate is around 22% (which to be fair is very low compared to the US of almost 40%). However they have far fewer deductions, and there are a bunch of other employer related taxes that get tacted on. Now the US has a ton of loop holes to drive the effective tax rate down, but Sanders wants to close those. Why on earth would you start a business under those conditions?

Sales TAX - Sweden and other European countries have the infamous VAT tax. Basically it's 25% on goods and services. So by a TV for $200 add another $50 in just sales tax.

Sweden spends 1% of GDP (about $1B) on military. The US spends 3.3% of GDP (like $500B) annually. Sweden doesn't neeed to spend so much since the US is for the most part a global protectorate.

So is this still a good deal? Is this a system that apparently 9.5 Million Swedes like, that would work in a country of 350 Million?

Personally I say no, but I would love for someone who thinks this is a good idea to tell me why.
9.5 million swedew doesn´t like it as the ruling party didn´t get 100 % of the votes.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:20 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,900 times
Sweden and other European countries can afford things like free healthcare and education because we've volunteered to spend our money that could pay for such things on being their defense force. Along with Korea and Japan and a host of other countries that should otherwise be able to pay for their own defense.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:30 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Nearly everyone is white and those are the people voting for Sanders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies