Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 01:40 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

I had a family member that had Hospice and died real quick because of all the drugs they giving him.

It's tough to comprehend: The FBI says the owner of a Dallas-area hospice ordered nurses to increase drug dosages for patients to speed their deaths and maximize profits, reports the AP. The revelations come via KXAS-TV, which obtained an affidavit filed to justify a search warrant of Novus Health Services in Frisco. The affidavit alleges that owner Brad Harris, 34, texted nurses orders such as, "You need to make this patient go bye-bye."

FBI: Hospice Owner Told Nurses to Make Patients 'Go Bye-Bye'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 02:02 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Oh, Do not get me started.

Christopher House here in Austin Texas, tried to kill my dad! They denied him water and denied him food. They were going to make his kidneys shut down.

I got him out of there pronto!

He lived for 4 more years, doing his thing and still living independently once I got him back to full strength, which took 9 months or so.

The thing that made me the most upset where I was ready to physically hurt someone badly at that place....
I asked what made my dad terminal to be in a place like this? ANSWER: His age! WTF!
It took an act of GOD to get him out of there.

The lady that was the head honcho, Catherine Berry was "Dr. Kevorkian" She flat told me when I said I was getting dad out of there, No one leaves Christopher House and you will go to jail if you try.....

I got dads nurse that would come by and check on him weekly, to go with me and get him out of there and to a hospital.
We almost lost him. He was malnourished and dehydrated, and his blood pressure was tanking.... If we would have waited any longer we would have lost him within days.

I am beyond PO'ed about that situation.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:34 PM

I just have this gut feeling Medicare is pushing the Hospice owners to do unethical things. Get them off the rolls and reduce cost.

When they told me the only thing that made my dad terminal, was his age. I came to a hard reality why they were doing it.

The longer you keep them there the less money you make. Kill 2 birds with one stone and we are good - Medicare

Old 04-01-2016, 12:30 PM

They just ran the story on FOX News. Charges may be filed on this Brad guy.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:38 PM

If you ever have an elderly loved one and after a hospital stay they want to leave the catheter in and you are thinking why? They will tell you it will be easier to drain then trying to get them to the bathroom during rehab. watch out!

They might be trying to start a urinary tract infection, to shut their kidneys down..... To get them off medicare.
I do believe there are government paid Dr. Kevorkian's, once you pass a certain age and are starting to see more and more doctors and procedures costing and costing. Yes, death panels

Old 04-01-2016, 12:46 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I had a family member that had Hospice and died real quick because of all the drugs they giving him.

It's tough to comprehend: The FBI says the owner of a Dallas-area hospice ordered nurses to increase drug dosages for patients to speed their deaths and maximize profits, reports the AP. The revelations come via KXAS-TV, which obtained an affidavit filed to justify a search warrant of Novus Health Services in Frisco. The affidavit alleges that owner Brad Harris, 34, texted nurses orders such as, "You need to make this patient go bye-bye."

FBI: Hospice Owner Told Nurses to Make Patients 'Go Bye-Bye'
"Take a pill". Is this the death panels?

It is very strange that this is being reported. I worked in healthcare for 20+ years and was told that they changed hospice to include maintenance to keep people out of the nursing homes but after what just happened at the beginning of this week....

My mom is on hospice. She will die from the disease but she is not end stage, death rales yet. She walks with a walker, can have a conversation, laughs and jokes like me and you. At this point she is on 2L O2, biped at night and during the day just needs someone around because she is a fall risk. Since her kids work we just need a little help to take care of her. They send someone to help her bath in the tub, to check up on her and pay for her medical equipment.

About 1-2 weeks ago she developed a hoarse cough and her ankles were swelled (CHF). We treated with a double dose of Lasix (diuretic) and cough medicine but the cough would not go away. The nurse wanted to give her a narcotic (for a cough) but I told them no. We had a doctors appointment but the day before the doctors appt she could not be woken up. She was breathing fine, but her caregiver called 911 and she was taken to the ER.

She was diagnosed with bronchitis and was given an IV antibiotic and steroid. Hospice insisted that she go home but fortunately the nurse insisted that she stay because you can not just stop giving steroids, you have to wean off. She stayed 3 days and is now back to talking, joking, and feeling a lot better. If she had taken that pill or had not gong to the ER she could have ....

Last edited by petch751; 04-01-2016 at 01:01 PM..

Old 04-01-2016, 01:12 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
I want to backtrack a little, not that what I posted didn't really happen... it did happen at the beginning of this week. But I was surprised after being told that hospice changed and is now trying to keep more people home that although they are very helpful and thankfully so, I was surprised that they were upset that my mom was taken to the ER. After all, bronchitis is something anyone, even the young can get and it is easily treated with antibiotics. Just giving her a pill to sleep would not have treated the bronchitis.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:55 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Maybe Texans would be better served if they spent more time inspecting hospices rather than Planned Parenthood and other clinics.

This was an unlicensed administrator directing medication to nurses, where is the oversight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies