Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2016, 01:25 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
This is one of the most perplexing things of all when I think about politics. I will go on any political site or facebook news page and see all these angry white male liberals clamoring about the GOP and Trump and whatnot and I just laugh to myself. These white men are hated by almost every socio-economic group in the liberal caucus and based off the comments I've heard amongst these groups, if they had the choice and power, these white men wouldn't have livelihoods and/or would die. White males are blamed by these groups for almost every problem that exist under the sun. I can't fathom what incentive is there to being a liberal Democrat for a white man today?
I just asked my husband your question and his answer, I quote: "the Republican's are f*****g crazy". Take that for what it's worth. Background: hubby is atheist, pro-choice, pro gay, pro transgendered, pro minority, pro animal rights, pro environment etc. Oh, and we are financially comfortable. Just your typical liberal guy that I adore because of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 01:33 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I just asked my husband your question and his answer, I quote: "the Republican's are f*****g crazy". Take that for what it's worth. Background: hubby is atheist, pro-choice, pro gay, transgendered, minority, animal rights, compassionate. Oh, and we are financially comfortable. Just your typical liberal guy that I adore because of it
I've heard people from both parties said incredibly hurtful things about veterans, minorities, people on welfare, gays, etc, etc etc, in their private conversations.

I am from an upper middle class neighborhood. Most people are financially well off to super rich. I learned at an early age that selfish people are selfish people, Party Affiliation has nothing to do with it.

I am a christian who believes completely Separation of church and state. I don't think I should be entitled of ANYTHING special. I believe even the most irresponsible women should be given the safest medical procedure of abortion because to me, it is a human right issue. Compassion is through experience based on the better angels of our nature.

“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. The former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number. The latter are surly curmudgeons, suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors than the other sort.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

Label really is not very important, in my opinion.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:38 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,298,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Of the people here who have responded with reasons why they're liberal, gay marriage seems to be the most prevalent response.

And the blue-collar guys in their twenties and thirties who I know don't seem to be very concerned with gay marriage either.

I was asking in general, not so much restricted to this forum. The reason why I hate labels is because there are no definitive definitions as to there meaning.
As far as blue collar guys amongst the twenties crowd gay marriage may not be an important issue but I would bet the majority are not opposed to it, regardless as to their political identity. The same holds true to the twenties crowd in all walks of life, and it is not an issue they will change on with age.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:49 PM

952 posts, read 518,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I was asking in general, not so much restricted to this forum. The reason why I hate labels is because there are no definitive definitions as to there meaning.
As far as blue collar guys amongst the twenties crowd gay marriage may not be an important issue but I would bet the majority are not opposed to it, regardless as to their political identity. The same holds true to the twenties crowd in all walks of life, and it is not an issue they will change on with age.
Many of the union members are concerned about their jobs, benefits and retirement, and therefore vote Dem in a need to preserve that.

At the same time, many of them are fiscally conservative, hold a variety of views that would not be considered 'liberal' and are probably better defined as Independents or moderates in either party. Many of them could support Kasich in the right situation...

BUT, their number one priority is their livilihood. Not hard to understand...

Old 04-01-2016, 01:58 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Yeah, and that's what differentiates them from liberals.
Look, blue-collar white guys who vote for Democrats generally do it for one reason and one reason only: because their union told them to. It has nothing to do with gay marriage, or transexuals, or global warming, or any other thing that liberals are into. And it sure as sin isn't because they want the government to take more of their money and spend it on social programs. And that's the bottom line.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:00 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
This is one of the most perplexing things of all when I think about politics. I will go on any political site or facebook news page and see all these angry white male liberals clamoring about the GOP and Trump and whatnot and I just laugh to myself. These white men are hated by almost every socio-economic group in the liberal caucus and based off the comments I've heard amongst these groups, if they had the choice and power, these white men wouldn't have livelihoods and/or would die. White males are blamed by these groups for almost every problem that exist under the sun. I can't fathom what incentive is there to being a liberal Democrat for a white man today?
Because they're intelligent, and they believe in addressing the root cause of those groups being angry. Once you manage to right the wrongs and create a more equitable system, the anger goes *poof*. What incentive could they possibly have in supporting a party that perpetuates the problem and the anger towards them?

Old 04-01-2016, 02:09 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livejack View Post
Many of the union members are concerned about their jobs, benefits and retirement, and therefore vote Dem in a need to preserve that.

At the same time, many of them are fiscally conservative, hold a variety of views that would not be considered 'liberal' and are probably better defined as Independents or moderates in either party. Many of them could support Kasich in the right situation...

BUT, their number one priority is their livilihood. Not hard to understand...
the phrase "fiscally conservative" needs to be defined. It seems to be a blanket statement of fiscally responsible, which Republicans do not have a stranglehold on when compared to Democrats.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:11 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Because they're intelligent, :
Some, not all

Old 04-01-2016, 02:13 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Yeah, and that's what differentiates them from liberals.
Look, blue-collar white guys who vote for Democrats generally do it for one reason and one reason only: because their union told them to. It has nothing to do with gay marriage, or transexuals, or global warming, or any other thing that liberals are into. And it sure as sin isn't because they want the government to take more of their money and spend it on social programs. And that's the bottom line.
Social programs help everyone, which is the problem with your argument. a well balanced society requires funding, not just hopes and dreams.

Cutting taxes does not equate into more jobs or higher wages.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:18 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Social programs help everyone, which is the problem with your argument. a well balanced society requires funding, not just hopes and dreams.

Cutting taxes does not equate into more jobs or higher wages.
No, they don't. I've had a lot of section 8 tenants dumped into my neighborhood, and it wasn't very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies