Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 06:18 AM

854 posts, read 582,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
White young liberal males hate and ignore one thing.....LAW- rules....they think that life and society is a free for all.

Except that most lawyers and lawmakers are in fact liberals themselves.

Actually, most people with postsecondary education are liberals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 06:30 AM

32,877 posts, read 12,155,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
Oh, and to top it all off, statistically those who live in blue states are less likely to divorce than those living in red states. The white males least likely to wind up divorced are those who married college-educated white women (who are usually liberals) and those who married black women (who are usually liberals). So these white males are more likely to get rewarded for their liberal and feminist views with having loyal wives, while the conservatives wind up bitter divorcees whining in the manosphere about how their misogynist views were always right.

I mean, it's a no-brainer.

Hardly. There are plenty of marriages that may not end up in divorce, but the two parties are still miserable and there is little loyalty.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
DiCaprio also doesn't have any children, which is the single most environmentally-conscious thing you can do.

You could literally take an airplane everyday until you die and still not wreak as much damage as having a single kid. That increases your carbon footprint by 50 times. I highly doubt it hasn't been a factor in his thought process. I'm just saying.
Yes, but he's still a hypocrite.

And it's not 'taking an airplane every day until you die' that is the issue. If he flew commercial (in First Class) every day I wouldn't have an issue with that. If he kept his trap shut and took two flights a day in his personal jet, I wouldn't have an issue with that. It's that his actions aren't consistent with what he is preaching. That is what I take issue with.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:50 AM

1,147 posts, read 712,151 times
It's ironic that a country so profound on "individualism" puts people into these demographical boxes and insists that those inside each box conforms to certain ideologies and voting preferences.

Why is it a bad thing to be an independent thinker? Allow people to decide what is best for them.

Conservative political parties are traditionally more popular with white men, but that doesn't mean white men should be demonised if they chose to vote alternatively. A white man has no obligation to be conservative, nor liberal.

The same can be said about any other group. Quit pushing expectations on people based on their race and gender.

Last edited by Fish & Chips; 04-04-2016 at 06:59 AM..

Old 04-04-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Yes, but he's still a hypocrite.

And it's not 'taking an airplane every day until you die' that is the issue. If he flew commercial (in First Class) every day I wouldn't have an issue with that. If he kept his trap shut and took two flights a day in his personal jet, I wouldn't have an issue with that. It's that his actions aren't consistent with what he is preaching. That is what I take issue with.

They are, though, if he drives a Prius and doesn't have any children, which is the single most environmentally-destructive thing a person can do.

It's all a matter of perspective. You don't know what his carbon footprint is, it could be lower than yours, so why critique him for wastefulness?

Old 04-04-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
It's ironic that a country so profound on "individualism" puts people into these demographical boxes and insists that those inside each box conforms to certain ideologies and voting preferences.

Why is it a bad thing to be an independent thinker? Allow people to decide what is best for them.

Conservative political parties are traditionally more popular with white men, but that doesn't mean white men should be demonised if they chose to vote alternatively. A white man has no obligation to be conservative, nor liberal.

The same can be said about any other group. Quit pushing expectations on people based on their race and gender.

Thank you, that is very well-stated.

I would also add that I find it troubling that so many people are viewing these political affiliations solely through the lens of race. My stepdad is a 73-year-old white male born in Germany (which I guess would technically make me one of the famed adopted black kids), and he would describe himself as being a conservative Christian. He views the world through the lens of Christians, and potential Christian converts. Race doesn't even factor into the equation in his mind. He has worked with street thugs in the tristate area and got them to go to church. Most of them just needed a mentor/father figure.

I don't know why the assumption that if someone is a liberal it's because they "hate white men" or 'hate their daddies.' Wtf? Maybe race isn't even the reason why they're a liberal. Maybe their dad is a liberal, too.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:59 AM

1,504 posts, read 845,003 times
Quote:
Except that most lawyers and lawmakers are in fact liberals themselves.

Actually, most people with postsecondary education are liberals.
Maybe times have changed...Growing up in Canada - all I saw was that the super rich were all conservative....that most of their kids who went to law school and became lawyers were conservatives....but times have changed....I do see lawyers who are liberals and law makers and they will cheat to win a law suit ...I heard one say "It maybe immoral but it is legal"....

Old 04-04-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Hardly. There are plenty of marriages that may not end up in divorce, but the two parties are still miserable and there is little loyalty.
It's hypocritical for right-wingers to constantly preach family values when they're always getting divorced. They get divorced more than their liberal atheist counterparts.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
Maybe times have changed...Growing up in Canada - all I saw was that the super rich were all conservative....that most of their kids who went to law school and became lawyers were conservatives....but times have changed....I do see lawyers who are liberals and law makers and they will cheat to win a law suit ...I heard one say "It maybe immoral but it is legal"....
Yes, times are changing for sure. I have a military friend who was a conservative in his early 20's and is liberal today. I would assume self-interest; the constant warmongering is not to our country's benefit.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
It says a lot about who is getting divorced. For example, red state residents are more religious and have higher church attendance. And religious people get divorced more often: Why Conservative Christians Divorce More Than Atheists
There is a potential gaping hole that the link doesn't address at all....What percentage of coupled households are unmarried?....and also...What percentage of that subset are Atheists or Agnostics? To me it is logical that IF an Atheist couple or an Agnostic couple decides to get married, they are supremely motivated and conscientious re that decision (and one might logically think on a better road to make it work) because not doing so and just living together doesn't carry any stigma....essentially being able to carve out some of the potential for failure before any commitment. Because the behavior that is expected of evangelicals and 'born agains' ideally involves refraining from some activities that will be a part of their married life, there is logically more risk of failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies