Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 03:18 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Thanks, and you make of these numbers just what exactly?
Women choose safe, low paying jobs while men choose the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 03:23 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Thanks, and you make of these numbers just what exactly?
Women choose less stressful, cleaner, less dangerous jobs while men do the opposite.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:24 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Lol....on the idea that nursing and teaching are low paying jobs.

It goes to show the article has an axe to grind.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Women earn less in virtually every job.

It’s true that women tend to cluster in certain fields and men in others, and the ones women dominate usually pay less. But in virtually every job category tracked by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average woman earns less than the average man. Women only make more in three occupations for which there is adequate data to compare men’s and women’s earnings — they lose out in about 115 others. Even in those low-paid jobs that tend to be dominated by women, such as nurses, teachers, and secretaries, men earn more. And even in male-dominated industries like manufacturing, finance, construction, mining, and agriculture, women earn less.

Here's Why We Know The Gender Wage Gap Really Does Exist | ThinkProgress

I could Google all day long for these facts. I have done the work and shared them in the past, I have more recently, and I'm just less inclined anymore, because I know from past experience it's all for not....

Ultimately, people believe what they want to believe for reasons having little to do with absolute truth, and though the absolute truth of these matters is not always so plain to see, it more often is more obvious than people like to admit. Then there is "My Cement Theory" thread, and I've just got better things to do with my time than go around in circles to the point of getting dizzy.
Again, you posted an example that does not take job performance into account.

Doing the same job or having the same job title does not equal to having the same performance.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:34 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
One can also note......many of the jobs listed are Union types of jobs.

Take mining for example. First there aren't that many female miners but where they are working the unions DO NOT allow them to be paid less.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:56 PM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Of course having an all white workforce is the result of discrimination. Have you ever been interviewed? Have you ever been rejected for that position after being interviewed (I'm guessing yes). That's discrimination.
Wrong, just oh so wrong...

Too much to contend with here, and I really should know better, but at least when it comes to the fundamentals, the basics, surely we can get those right, right?

"Discrimination is treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing is perceived to belong to rather than on individual merit."

If you do not know the difference between discrimination vs the typical experience of interviewing for a job and not getting that job (of which I am also well experienced), you really need to go back a grade...

I think that caps it for me here today! Ugg...

Old 04-06-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Too much to contend with here, and I really should know better, but at least when it comes to the fundamentals, the basics, surely we can get those right, right?

"Discrimination is treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing is perceived to belong to rather than on individual merit."

If you do not know the difference between discrimination vs the typical experience of interviewing for a job and not getting that job (of which I am also well experienced), you really need to go back a grade...

But you said nothing about the topic that we are discussing.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
But you said nothing about the topic that we are discussing.
Not sure what you mean by that, since I've "said" quite a bit, but when it becomes obvious that even the fundamentals are misunderstood (in spades), I'm hard pressed to press on.

All that aside, I've said "nothing?" Really?

You are just helping to prove my point and give me no reason to bother further, but please review my "nothing" comment #160, especially the last part, and if you can do better, maybe somehow inspire me to waste more time here, I just might tomorrow...

Old 04-06-2016, 05:19 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:

You know when you see someone say something that you immediately disagree with, you might want to step back and think about what they said, not what you thought they said.

Let's put the entire paragraph here for reference, rather than your unrepresentative sample...

Quote:
Of course having an all white workforce is the result of discrimination. Have you ever been interviewed? Have you ever been rejected for that position after being interviewed (I'm guessing yes). That's discrimination. There is nothing wrong with discrimination, you hire staff by discriminating between people by their skills and team fit, you can't discriminate by race, gender, sexual preference, religion, or any other protected class. If you have an all white male workforce, it may be entirely non-discriminatory to protected classes, but white males may be over represented in the skills and team fit you're hiring for.
You took the Wikipedia Google ILA didn't you? It only shows the first meaning (how can you be making statements about much of anything if you don't know the meanings of the words you're using, or how they apply to the context of what you and others are saying?).

Here's Websters

Quote:
  • the practice of unfairly treating a person or group of people differently from other people or groups of people
  • the ability to recognize the difference between things that are of good quality and those that are not
  • the ability to understand that one thing is different from another thing

How can you recognize the difference between things that are good quality and those that are not without discriminating between them?

How can you understand that one thing is different from another without discriminating.

How, if you're English speaking, can you mistake the first definition for the last two from my statement?

If you cannot discriminate at interview then the sole means of determining the winning candidate would be random selection, that being so why even bother to interview? People would just apply, and win a job lottery. Because without discriminating between resumes you can't even use a resume to determine a viable candidate. Interviews and resumes are inherently discriminatory, and that's a good thing, because I don't want to work with people who are unskilled and unsuitable for the work performed or the working environment.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
How can you understand that one thing is different from another without discriminating.

How, if you're English speaking, can you mistake the first definition for the last two from my statement?

If you cannot discriminate at interview then the sole means of determining the winning candidate would be random selection, that being so why even bother to interview? People would just apply, and win a job lottery. Because without discriminating between resumes you can't even use a resume to determine a viable candidate. Interviews and resumes are inherently discriminatory, and that's a good thing, because I don't want to work with people who are unskilled and unsuitable for the work performed or the working environment.
Oh for the love of Websters, this is truly amazing...

Yes of course there are other definitions for the word discrimination! Is this some sort of joke for purposes of finding ways to waste time? A word game perhaps?

See the title of this thread. See the comments related to discrimination. See the definition I provided and consider only THAT definition, because to do otherwise just distracts from the subject at hand -- wastes time!

Think what this thread has been about! Think what the issue of gender wage discrimination is ALL about.

Good for you to note discrimination is a homonym (and/or homograph), but can you be serious?

When someone tells you they are going to hit you in the mouth. Do you ask them whether they mean the mouth on your face or the mouth of the river? When someone on the street asks you for change, do you ask them if they mean money or a different way? Conversation with you must take an awfully long time...

There is a big difference between choosing someone for a job strictly on the basis of merit vs deciding because of prejudice toward race or gender. An OBVIOUS difference. If you don't understand this difference, the difference between "discriminating" in the first case vs "discriminating" in the second case, you really can't understand what this thread is about in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies