Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 09:12 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,239,538 times

Advertisements

How much do TV shows influence Politics?

I think the media plays a huge role in bringing us the candidates but each channel has its bias. We have the talking heads like Hannity and O'reily that point out issues geared toward their own cause and we have the rest from the news to late night comedy talk shows.

Last night I caught a bit of Saturday Night live and of course they were poking fun at Trump because he is such a easy target. We all know how Tina Fey did such a spot on impersonation of Sarah Palin that some of what she joked about was actually attributed to Palin. The most famous was the comment that she could see Russia from her house.
It was funny but how many people believed that Palin actually said it? I say a majority of low information voters did.

Last night on SNL and poking fun at Trump they asked a Trump supporter in a news style sketch what they thought about his comment that women should be punished if they get an abortion.
Of course what was missing was the original hypothetical question "If abortion was illegal should women be punished". Trump of course should have never answered but being Trump he couldn't help but put his foot in his mouth and he said what he said.
Now of course the President swears to uphold the laws of the land when he takes office and if someone breaks the law there should be consequences.

The media and comedy TV shows are running with that Trump "gotcha" clip and I think for many people that didn't hear the original question will take the answer out of context.

I think TV does influence politics. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 01:04 PM

21,136 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Yuuuge

Old 04-03-2016, 01:11 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,836 times
At least among the 20-30yr old crowd, TV is the #1 source of politics for most. That is something I think I don't even need to find an article or statistic for. What I am concerned about is how little variety is within the tv category. I know young people who watch the daily show and other late night shows for all their political news. I find that really concerning.

Politics in my opinion does not have time for jokes, it is serious business.

Read a newspaper, online article, watch youtube vids or if you feel really crazy a book!!!

Old 04-03-2016, 01:13 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Well, watching the current crop of candidates for POTUS I can't help but feel they've been heavily influenced by Bozo the Clown.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:16 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,404 times
There are some speculations that David Palmer from the show 24 helped elect Obama or at least made people comfortable with the idea of a black president.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:35 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,054,029 times
https://web.stanford.edu/class/e297c...ropaganda.html

Old 04-03-2016, 01:39 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
At least among the 20-30yr old crowd, TV is the #1 source of politics for most. That is something I think I don't even need to find an article or statistic for. What I am concerned about is how little variety is within the tv category. I know young people who watch the daily show and other late night shows for all their political news. I find that really concerning.

Politics in my opinion does not have time for jokes, it is serious business.

Read a newspaper, online article, watch youtube vids or if you feel really crazy a book!!!
IMO, politics is too serious NOT to be joked about.

Although I do agree that relying on comics for all your news is not real smart. But that is not the fault of comics.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Trump is a candidate for one reason: his TV show. TV shows make people more important than they actually are. He's a Kardashian with really bad hair and makeup.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:21 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

My feeling is that the media and establishment is scared. For years they ran the lies to pave the yellow brick road for establishment favorites. What Trump has done for American is to show us how little the establishment thinks of the voters - it was all about money and power and backroom deals. Now we are clearly seeing the corruption that goes into the making of our leaders. We have had Republican establishment that has come out and stated that the wishes of the voters don't count. Even the Democrats are having their problems with election fraud and super delegates.

So many are foaming at the mouth to stop the outsider; that they are forgetting what 'they' look like to the public. Perhaps that is why they are wasting millions and not really making progress stopping the one candidate. It is also demonstrating that far fewer main stream media viewers really trust the information they get from TV. We have come a long ways from the Walter Cronkite days and Americans that believed everything we were told.

Our Democracy has always spouted the lie: No taxation without representation. So we believed our one vote counted. Our establishment cannot have it both ways: Either we are a free Country or we are not free.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:29 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
How much do TV shows influence Politics?

I think the media plays a huge role in bringing us the candidates but each channel has its bias. We have the talking heads like Hannity and O'reily that point out issues geared toward their own cause and we have the rest from the news to late night comedy talk shows.

Last night I caught a bit of Saturday Night live and of course they were poking fun at Trump because he is such a easy target. We all know how Tina Fey did such a spot on impersonation of Sarah Palin that some of what she joked about was actually attributed to Palin. The most famous was the comment that she could see Russia from her house.
It was funny but how many people believed that Palin actually said it? I say a majority of low information voters did.

Last night on SNL and poking fun at Trump they asked a Trump supporter in a news style sketch what they thought about his comment that women should be punished if they get an abortion.
Of course what was missing was the original hypothetical question "If abortion was illegal should women be punished". Trump of course should have never answered but being Trump he couldn't help but put his foot in his mouth and he said what he said.
Now of course the President swears to uphold the laws of the land when he takes office and if someone breaks the law there should be consequences.

The media and comedy TV shows are running with that Trump "gotcha" clip and I think for many people that didn't hear the original question will take the answer out of context.

I think it does of course play a large role. We have been ruled by media (tv and internet entertainment), for a long time.

As far as Trump goes, I wonder what exactly do you do if abortion is illegal and someone breaks that law? I wasn't aware there were laws you could break and not receive a punishment for. You learn something new everyday.

Just for the record, I support choice. But, you are right, the question was proposed with "illegal" not "legal" abortions. Very tricky, not straight forward, and entertaining to watch just as it was planned to be. Illegal = punishment, legal = none

Clever, I wonder if he'll be prized as the one who brought him down.

Last edited by PoppySead; 04-03-2016 at 02:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies