Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 09:27 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times

Advertisements

This is how Republican Governors are planning to win elections for their party, as they know the numbers are against them. Factor in youthful voters who are adamantly opposed to rich old white guys telling them what to believe in, or what women can do with their uterus, and you can see the demographics are shifting.

It's not as easy for the poor, especially those who don't drive, to get a photo I.D. if the deck is stacked against them. For many who live in poverty, they are losing the right to vote.

Quote:
Johnny Randle, a 74-year-old African-American resident of Milwaukee, moved to Wisconsin from Mississippi in 2011, the same year the state legislature passed a law requiring a government-issued photo ID to cast a ballot. Randle, with the help of his daughter, petitioned the DMV to issue him a free ID for voting because he could not afford to pay for his Mississippi birth certificate.

[MOD CUT/copyright violation]
Wisconsin

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-03-2016 at 03:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 09:37 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Are these same people going to complain about the fact that you need an ID to purchase a firearm?

Old 04-03-2016, 09:38 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
so the guy used a misspelling of his name, and never corrected it over the years, and he expects everyone in government to just go ahead and accept it? ever hear of identity theft?

Old 04-03-2016, 09:42 AM

[MOD CUT/copyright violation]
When hear of people waiting in line in Democratic districts for hours waiting to vote, while Republican districts have a surplus of polling stations sitting empty, you are reminded of how you have to remain vigilant to the true existing threat to democracy in the United States.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-03-2016 at 03:04 PM..

Old 04-03-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so the guy used a misspelling of his name, and never corrected it over the years, and he expects everyone in government to just go ahead and accept it? ever hear of identity theft?
I know all about identity theft, I've been a victim of it for over 20 years. Surprisingly, there is little I can do about it, as there is no central database on which I can go after the impersonator, who I know and who I've identified. When he changes locations, he can start all over again. However, there is a real emphasis on denying people the right to vote when there are virtually no examples of someone impersonating someone else to vote.

How 'bout that?

Old 04-03-2016, 09:54 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I know all about identity theft, I've been a victim of it for over 20 years. Surprisingly, there is little I can do about it, as there is no central database on which I can go after the impersonator, who I know and who I've identified. When he changes locations, he can start all over again. However, there is a real emphasis on denying people the right to vote when there are virtually no examples of someone impersonating someone else to vote.

How 'bout that?
sorry about your issues, i hope that at some point they can be resolved in your favor. i hate identity thieves, and i think they should be hung from the highest point that can be found.

and state laws are catching up, which is why the guy in the article is having an issue. teh name he uses is different from the name on his birth certificate, and that raises red flags that need to be resolved. and likely it would have happened with or without voter ID laws.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Local news filmed the lines at various Wisconsin DMVs with long, long lines of people waiting to get a state- issued ID. I was surprised by the number of middle- aged people in these lines.

How have so many managed to live for 35-45-50 years without an ID that is required for employment, a doctor's visit, cash a check, open a bank account, drive, travel, lease a residence or buy a home?

Too bad the media did not interview any of these people.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Local news filmed the lines at various Wisconsin DMVs with long, long lines of people waiting to get a state- issued ID. I was surprised by the number of middle- aged people in these lines.

How have so many managed to live for 35-45-50 years without an ID that is required for employment, a doctor's visit, cash a check, open a bank account, drive, travel, lease a residence or buy a home?

Too bad the media did not interview any of these people.
Many of these people live in poverty. They can't afford a car and insurance, they surely can't afford a home, and do little traveling that is not provided by a city bus or local courier.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:11 AM

1,711 posts, read 807,770 times
I would think anyone who is 'disenfranchised' would have an advocate organization - NAACP, AARP etc. Or is it easier to B and M about a problem than to get assistance? I've known and worked with people who would spend 2 hours figuring out how to get out of 30 minutes of work.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:13 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Many of these people live in poverty. They can't afford a car and insurance, they surely can't afford a home, and do little traveling that is not provided by a city bus or local courier.
How do they get welfare? They can't afford welfare either?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies