Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 09:29 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why would farmers be complaining about a shortage of workers when there are unlimited visas for legal, foreign crop pickers?

costs and paper work --workman's comp ins

Old 04-04-2016, 09:47 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Nothing except the low pay, terrible working conditions and self esteem. The only Americans that take jobs picking crops or cleaning houses like undocumented immigrants tend to be convicted felons or parolees that have no choice.
I don't know about that. My cleaning lady gets 250 a pop to clean my vacation rental, and oh yea she drives a Lexus.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:51 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Doesn't anyone clean their own house, cut their own grass, take care of their own pool, do their own landscaping anymore?

We sure are getting lazy as a society....or do many now feel such work is "beneath" them? Even many middle class people at best are into this. And I'm talking able bodied people who can handle such work that's not hard to do.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:58 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
i meant Black Lives Matter.
Funny how people confuse the two.

What is more sad.......people actually believe immigrants do all of our work. Americans do, do these jobs! One way to convince the higher end of society they are running out of maids and such, start yelling "bring in those immigrants Americans hate to work!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Doesn't anyone clean their own house, cut their own grass, take care of their own pool, do their own landscaping anymore?

We sure are getting lazy as a society....or do many now feel such work is "beneath" them? Even many middle class people at best are into this. And I'm talking able bodied people who can handle such work that's not hard to do.
I never see kids doing chores, most probably have no idea what the word means. I use to have to do them without pay, I got to ride my horse after I was done.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:04 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Funny how people confuse the two.

What is more sad.......people actually believe immigrants do all of our work. Americans do, do these jobs! One way to convince the higher end of society they are running out of maids and such, start yelling "bring in those immigrants Americans hate to work!"

I never see kids doing chores, most probably have no idea what the word means. I use to have to do them without pay, I got to ride my horse after I was done.
yeah, besides doing work/helping my parents out by cutting the lawn, raking leaves, etc., I did the same for neighbors to make a few extra $. Common for kids to take part time work in the fields to pick produce and such also when they were off from school. Guess the parents of precious snowflakes today think it's all beneath their snowflakes to do such work. Guess mom and dad prefer the illegals to do such work these days.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:50 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,610,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post

I'm sure these industries would rather face labor shortages (that they're publicly complaining about) than hire Americans. Your side will say literally ANYTHING to heap the blame on undocumented workers. My goodness.
Proof positive that YOU DIDN'T READ A WORD OF THE ARTICLE. It is an extensive investigative news report by Buzzfeed, the Millennial-focused (and in no way right-wing) site on legal immigrants not undocumented workers. They will still work cheaper and condone crappy, barely legal conditions. Black Americans in the South have been devastated as well as Midwestern whites in everything from picking produce to Christmas tree harvesting to corn tasseling to horse stablery.

My goodness. You will say anything to kill American jobs and keep illegals' feet on our necks!

Old 04-05-2016, 03:16 AM

11,792 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Nothing except the low pay, terrible working conditions and self esteem. The only Americans that take jobs picking crops or cleaning houses like undocumented immigrants tend to be convicted felons or parolees that have no choice.

That's total BS. I worked for a cleaning company while going to school. The majority of workers were white middle class Americans. The job payed well - the hours were decent and as long as you did your job you were left alone. The woman I work for now has a white American cleaning woman - she is very good to her and treats her like family.

I am so sick of you leftists PC people with no experience in manual labor continuing the falsehood that only migrants do the work. Although when it comes to picking produce in the summer months - many are immigrants - I know more than one white person that supplements their income by picking fruit at a local farm. In fact - for $10 - I can go and pick my own strawberries at many of the farms around the area. Many families do this for something to do on a Sunday afternoon which get the kids involved and they love it.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:12 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
That's total BS. I worked for a cleaning company while going to school. The majority of workers were white middle class Americans. The job payed well - the hours were decent and as long as you did your job you were left alone. The woman I work for now has a white American cleaning woman - she is very good to her and treats her like family.

I am so sick of you leftists PC people with no experience in manual labor continuing the falsehood that only migrants do the work. Although when it comes to picking produce in the summer months - many are immigrants - I know more than one white person that supplements their income by picking fruit at a local farm. In fact - for $10 - I can go and pick my own strawberries at many of the farms around the area. Many families do this for something to do on a Sunday afternoon which get the kids involved and they love it.
Donny's gonna be SHOCKED! when he learns Ivana is a leftist PC person!

Old 04-05-2016, 07:16 AM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post

What nonsense. Many if not most Americans (unless they are well off) do all these things themselves. Many that do hire people for these jobs do so because they work long hours and like to spend time with their families also. It's not about laziness but freeing up their time for more important things.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:27 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,511 times
My cleaning lady makes 80 dollars for 3 hours work (8-11) and then goes to my parents house and gets 90 dollars for 3 hours work (12-3) she probably goes somewhere after that... tax free, all cash. Not great money but decent and she is her own boss, makes her own schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies