Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 04:22 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,133 times

Advertisements

Now I have heard:

Don't shop at Walmart because
1) they are the only company that sells China junk.
2) China only employs Slave labor

China has the worst Human Rights record on the planet.

China tortures it people and has no freedoms.

I even hear calls for war on China.

Do you guys actually believe this stuff? Please try not to flame me. I would like to discuss this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 04:29 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,731,211 times
China does not employ slave labor, it only has different living and working standards---as do many other places in the world.

China does not have the "worst" human rights record on the planet but at one point it was pro-abortion, as it had to induce population control before massive famine and starvation hit the entire country. But of course the human rights screamers wouldn't know that, as apparently unborn cute little babies are more important than keeping the already-born people ALIVE.

China does torture criminals to get information. See US waterboarding. At least China comes out and admits it.

War on China? More garbage from the American warmongering population that wants to destroy anything they don't agree with. This is typical of uneducated peoples and you should think nothing of it.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:36 AM

Thanks Smerky

When I went to school in Beijing in 1983 I heard this STORY about a stadium nearby where executions of 5k people a year were supposedly carried out.

There was this one story of a 15 year old kid who rode his bike and kicked down some old lady. He was brought before judge and the judge asked him if he would do it again and the 15 year old said "YES". Supposedly he became one of the 5k to be executed.

I'm not going to weigh in on whether, IF TRUE, that was right or wrong.

Just a little tidbit.

As to the war mongerers, I am not quite certain as to why they would want to wage war on China. It is not as though they bombed Pearl Harbor.

People refer to the current administration as war mongerers yet I don't even hear the left trying to hang this on them.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:20 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,634,766 times
As a proud warmonger, I have no desire to make war with China, until or unless they threaten us. I DO want their cheap and dangerous crap out of this country however. I do not shop WalMart, and look at everything I pick up to see where it is made. Am actively ridding my home of all China made products as much as possible. If I need a spatula, and can't find one NOT made in China, I do without. If I need a pillow or rug, and can only find one made in China, I do without. Or make an EFFORT to find one NOT made in China. Just my personal little mission.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
As a proud warmonger, I have no desire to make war with China, until or unless they threaten us. I DO want their cheap and dangerous crap out of this country however. I do not shop WalMart, and look at everything I pick up to see where it is made. Am actively ridding my home of all China made products as much as possible. If I need a spatula, and can't find one NOT made in China, I do without. If I need a pillow or rug, and can only find one made in China, I do without. Or make an EFFORT to find one NOT made in China. Just my personal little mission.
Hi Lilypad

Now. You engage in this mission because China stuff is cheap? Dangerous? or some other reason?

Some people on another thread already think the Chinese are threatening us. I don't yet grasp their argument though.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:32 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,634,766 times
Cheap, dangerous, low quality. Oh, and I don't care to any longer support their economy.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:33 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
Just out of curiosity last night, I checked out the tag on the latest silk scarf I purchased last Christmas from Ann Taylor. No surprise...made in China. So all this Walmart bashing about China does not hold water for me since the most expensive stores will carry their goods anyway. Nobody is going to watch my pocketbook when I buy what I need but me. I am just going to compare quality for the price. Do I really want a custom desk for my kids' bedrooms, or do I go to Target and pick up one of those assembly-required pieces which, BTW are made in China? No brainer for me...

Old 02-12-2008, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Just out of curiosity last night, I checked out the tag on the latest silk scarf I purchased last Christmas from Ann Taylor. No surprise...made in China. So all this Walmart bashing about China does not hold water for me since the most expensive stores will carry their goods anyway. Nobody is going to watch my pocketbook when I buy what I need but me. I am just going to compare quality for the price. Do I really want a custom desk for my kids' bedrooms, or do I go to Target and pick up one of those assembly-required pieces which, BTW are made in China? No brainer for me...
Some of that stuff is made in Turkey, Vietnam, Mexico, Poland. Is it just China made stuff that people are POed about? Why single out China?

Old 02-12-2008, 06:36 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,480 times
Quote:
There was this one story of a 15 year old kid who rode his bike and kicked down some old lady. He was brought before judge and the judge asked him if he would do it again and the 15 year old said "YES". Supposedly he became one of the 5k to be executed.

I'm not going to weigh in on whether, IF TRUE, that was right or wrong.
Probably was true.

China has been know to execute people for "hooliganism", which is kinda like an umbrella term for a wide variety of behaviors and also their version of a "Three Strikes Law".

A few years ago there was an old man who was executed for poking a woman in the butt with a stick, not like sodomizing her with it, more like a rude prank. Well, it seems that a few years ago he threw an egg at a neighbor or something like that and the judge felt that it proved he had a habit of criminal behavior and he was sentenced to death.

Screw China. I have no idea why so many people fawn over that glorified hellhole (which according to most economists, isn't as rich as what most people thought as recently as a few months ago).

Old 02-12-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Screw China. I have no idea why so many people fawn over that glorified hellhole (which according to most economists, isn't as rich as what most people thought as recently as a few months ago).
I don't know Frank.

From what I have seen, China does look VERY prosperous. I don't know about fawn over it. I also don't know about calling it a hell hole. But, I respect your opinion and keep the comments a comin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies