Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be allowed
NO 109 64.50%
YES 60 35.50%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 02:50 PM

211 posts, read 113,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The laws being passed in NC and other embarrassing states makes criminals of these people, and I for one would say that's a considerable change.

Incidentally, who's going to decide who's a "legitimate" transgender and who isn't?
Those in opposition to these laws are constantly posting memes of transgendered individuals that nobody would ever know weren't born that gender. Like those people, if you honestly look like the little man or little woman on the bathroom door, there would be no reason for anyone to think twice about you being there.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:09 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyogaH View Post
They are illegal, but its going to make it easier for perverts to access these places and make it harder to find them guilty. Men now have the right to be in a women's bathroom simply by putting on a dress and claiming they're trans/gender-fluid/etc when caught and it creates these spaces where women no longer have real privacy.

Many of these laws are too new to know the real impact of them. Who knows, this might be overblown concern, but it could also lead to a huge number of women who are being peeped in these places and not even know they've been violated by these perverts.
They have access any time they want, there are no guards at rest room doors. If someone is guilty of peeping, videoing, or sexual assault they are guilty regardless of where they commit the crime. Even if I invite someone into my house, if they sexually assault me they are guilty of that crime.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Those in opposition to these laws are constantly posting memes of transgendered individuals that nobody would ever know weren't born that gender. Like those people, if you honestly look like the little man or little woman on the bathroom door, there would be no reason for anyone to think twice about you being there.
Except they are now in violation of the law if they go into the restroom that they appear to be. Should they just break the law, and hope that they don't get caught?

Old 04-20-2016, 03:13 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Yes, you do seem confused, and some therapy could help, but just educating yourself more about transgender people would be a start.
with an accuracy in the high 90% range you can tell someone's reproductive potential by visual inspection. Their preference for partners is far harder to discern.

Our language reflects reproductive potential, not preference in partners.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:41 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
And all they risk are being labeled as sex offenders, right? An ex with a grudge, wham.

If the only way you can defend a law's unfortunate consequences is to argue that "for some, it's close to risk-free to break it" - then it's simply a bad law. FFS, the cornerstone of lawmaking is that law applies equally to everybody.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:41 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Target is one of the stores that I've noticed has the "family bathroom" which is a private bathroom separate from the men's and women's restrooms. That option certainly makes things a lot easier as it's private and anyone can use it.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:44 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
One more reason not to shop at Target.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:09 PM

1,073 posts, read 622,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Peeping, recording and sexual assault are illegal regardless of which sex is doing it in which restroom.

In the states and cities that already have similar laws, there hasn't been an uptick of those crimes in bathrooms.
Yes but now with the LGBT protection laws the peeping perverts also have an out. It's already happened in fact... Need to find the link but at the bus station right now.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Yes but now with the LGBT protection laws the peeping perverts also have an out. It's already happened in fact... Need to find the link but at the bus station right now.
It happened before there were any LGBT protections too, because ANYONE can walk into any bathroom. There are no guards at the door. I have walked right into the mens room when the ladies room line was too long. No one stopped me.

I await your links.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:16 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Quote:
Legitimate transgenders could already use the bathroom of the gender they identified with, because nobody would ever stop to question them if they looked like they belonged there. After all, where were these going to the bathroom yesterday? The same place they're going today. This changes nothing on that front.

Opposition to these policies is not about keeping transgenders out of certain bathrooms, its about preserving the privacy and safety of women. All that this policy actually accomplishes is giving perverts and sexual predators the right to use women's bathrooms in Target stores and giving them more freedom to peep, record or sexually assault women. When caught, they now have an excuse for being in there that they didn't have before.

This is political correctness overtaking common sense, and Target has made a statement that they favor a transgender's comfort over a young girl or woman's privacy or safety.
I'm a man and I can't sexually assault people in the men's room and get away with it just by saying "I'm allowed to be here." Bathroom sexual assaults are uncommon enough as they are, but allowing transgendered individuals to use a restroom they prefer to use does not mean they will happen more.

You are correct though, that the reality of these laws and policies is that they won't do much. The average transgendered person tries quite hard to blend in. It's quite possible that every single one of us has shared a bathroom with a transgendered person at some point and never realized it. However, in cases of the law, it does create a possible platform for criminal charges against transgendered individuals without having them actually cause a problem. Not saying that's the goal of these laws or policies, but that it's merely a possible result of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies