Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be allowed
NO 109 64.50%
YES 60 35.50%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 10:05 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Girl View Post
Posts #37 and #40 have links.

In regards to post 40, are you claiming that Charlotte City Council passed the NC law as its antidiscrimination ordinance?

I think you're a bit confused or do not understand the difference between the city of Charlotte and the state of North Carolina.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:06 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
exactly

discriminate if you want, but put your big boy pants on and accept the consequences.
I thought the issue is the "big boy" taking off the pants and getting in the shower with the girls.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:11 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
So calling out bigotry is now itself act of bigotry? That is some Grade A projection right there!

And you don't believe a private business shouldn't act in a way that reflects their own values? Somehow I think that you have a completely different opinion about Hardee's leaving California, or Hobby Lobby's various morality based actions.
Actually, I didn't offer up an opinion on any of those things. What I did say is that NC's law addresses a very real concern. There's a whole lotta boys out there who are hopeless perverts. Green-lighting any group of boys may inadvertently let in some of the perverts. All they gotta do is say, "I'm a woman trapped in a man's body!! Help me!!" How do you tell the real transgenders from perverts who are willing to play the role in order to live out their fantasy? Funny how nobody has even bothered to address that part of my post. Apparently, it's much more fun calling names?

I believe that publicly attacking, boycotting or shaming anyone for having an opinion that is different than your own is small-minded and childish. And as a matter of fact, doing so is bigotry by definition.

I really do my level best to not act that way towards anyone else. As for Paypal, I'm simply applying the dictionary definition to their actions. If you disagree, then why not tell me why you disagree?

Old 04-06-2016, 10:19 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Actually, I'm the one asking for a link to the law because I do NOT claim to be an expert on the subject matter and want to actually know the facts. Apparently you have no interest in the actual law which is at the core of this debate. I think this says quite a bit.
http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/C...08,%202016.pdf

Starting on page 4

Old 04-06-2016, 10:20 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
This was mentioned earlier in the thread...

The Hypocrisy of PayPal's 'Mission and Culture'
But where's the outrage over PayPal's decision to locate offices in some of the most anti-gay countries in the world?

PayPal partnered with a Middle East payment company, Network International, to open an office in Dubai. The United Arab Emirates employs the penalty of death to those convicted of being gay or performing gay sex. So PayPal punishes North Carolina for keeping men out of the ladies' room while sucking up to a government that executes people just because they're gay. Because, justice.

How about PayPal's offices in Moscow? A June 2013 law outlawed the incredibly broad notion of "gay propaganda."

PayPal has a regional headquarters in Istanbul, Turkey. While North Carolina is ostensibly shaming and embarrassing transgendered people, Turkey takes the issue to a shocking level:

If you’re a transgender woman in Turkey, you’re liable to be arbitrarily arrested, blackmailed by police officers, and violently assaulted while in custody.

PayPal has an office in Chennai, India -- a country where being caught kissing a member of the same sex could get you 10 years in prison.

PayPal has an office in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, where a report by Human Rights Watch states "that transgender persons face arbitrary arrest, physical and sexual assault, imprisonment, discriminatory denial of health care and employment, and other abuses."
I will fully expect them to pull out of those countries... if they are serious about their beliefs.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Thank you very much. I'll give it a read now.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:45 AM

Ok, I just finished reading the Charlotte ordinance, and I really do not have any issues with the restroom aspect of it. In essence, with Charlotte's ordinance a business essentially can't refuse a person access to the restroom due to gender. It doesn't penalize a business that might inquire as to why a person is using a particular restroom. Houston's HERO ordinance was quite different, and it could impose sanctions based upon "differentiating" and the mere inquiry as to the reason for a restroom choice would be considered discrimination which could result in sanctions.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:48 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This was mentioned earlier in the thread...

The Hypocrisy of PayPal's 'Mission and Culture'
But where's the outrage over PayPal's decision to locate offices in some of the most anti-gay countries in the world?

PayPal partnered with a Middle East payment company, Network International, to open an office in Dubai. The United Arab Emirates employs the penalty of death to those convicted of being gay or performing gay sex. So PayPal punishes North Carolina for keeping men out of the ladies' room while sucking up to a government that executes people just because they're gay. Because, justice.

How about PayPal's offices in Moscow? A June 2013 law outlawed the incredibly broad notion of "gay propaganda."

PayPal has a regional headquarters in Istanbul, Turkey. While North Carolina is ostensibly shaming and embarrassing transgendered people, Turkey takes the issue to a shocking level:

If you’re a transgender woman in Turkey, you’re liable to be arbitrarily arrested, blackmailed by police officers, and violently assaulted while in custody.

PayPal has an office in Chennai, India -- a country where being caught kissing a member of the same sex could get you 10 years in prison.

PayPal has an office in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, where a report by Human Rights Watch states "that transgender persons face arbitrary arrest, physical and sexual assault, imprisonment, discriminatory denial of health care and employment, and other abuses."
I will fully expect them to pull out of those countries... if they are serious about their beliefs.
Same thing goes for Paypal and every other company playing the Political Correctness game. Bullying, boycotting and shaming are restricted to inside the USA only. Inside the USA, it's moral, progressive and right.

But any instance of apparent blatant hypocrisy isn't actually hypocrisy. It's really just diversity.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:50 AM

Once again, I did not agree with the actions of NC, and I merely wanted to know if Charlotte's ordinance had the problem, that I objected, like Houston's HERO. Charlotte's ordinance in regards to the bathroom aspect is quite different and isn't a problem for me.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:51 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Ok, I just finished reading the Charlotte ordinance, and I really do not have any issues with the restroom aspect of it. In essence, with Charlotte's ordinance a business essentially can't refuse a person access to the restroom due to gender. It doesn't penalize a business that might inquire as to why a person is using a particular restroom. Houston's HERO ordinance was quite different, and it could impose sanctions based upon "differentiating" and the mere inquiry as to the reason for a restroom choice would be considered discrimination which could result in sanctions.
And now, because of the state law, cities can not pass anti discrimination ordinances that cover sexual orientation or gender identity. That is the part that wasn't really talked about with all of the bluster about bathrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies